10L Sanke vs 2.5 Gallon Ball Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
I sold my kegerator that held (2) 5 gallon ball lock kegs, I did so because I am getting more into the small 2.5 gallon batches. I like to brew often and have a variety on hand. That being said I need to pick up a new kegging setup to keg 4 to 6 2.5 gallon batches.

I found a local supplier selling brand new commercial grade stainless steel 10L Sanke Kegs for $60 a pop, or I could get a 2.5 gallon ball lock for around $90 to $110 a pop.

Any reason not to go Sanke, I understand they are harder to clean and take apart but if I can save $40 each the savings will add up pretty fast!

I find that sankes aren't any harder to clean than a carboy, except that you can't see in it from the outside. The difficulty in opening them is overblown. Homebrewers tend to overcomplicate everything, and then say that corny's should be used over sankeys due to ease of use. I'll never understand that.

I honestly don't know the difference but at a $40 savings each, with plans to get 6 of them, I feel like a savings of $240 makes that decision for you.

I honestly don't know the difference but at a $40 savings each, with plans to get 6 of them, I feel like a savings of $240 makes that decision for you.

This is the 10L Sanke keg:
10l_p.jpg

This is a 2.5 gallon ball lock keg:
25_gallon_ball_lock_keg_with_rubber_handles.jpg

I am leaning more towards the sanke at this point for a couple of reason, first of all being the cost, second of all they are sold locally and third they will make my homebrew look like a miniature commercial brewery haha.

Keep in mind that the sankeys use a sanke tap. If you don't already have them, then add on another $30-50 for each keg you want to have on tap which might make the price difference moot.

I've never seen these mini sankeys before but am very interested. Got a link to the shop that sells them?

Keep in mind that the sankeys use a sanke tap. If you don't already have them, then add on another $30-50 for each keg you want to have on tap which might make the price difference moot.

I've never seen these mini sankeys before but am very interested. Got a link to the shop that sells them?

Here is a link:
www.gopherkegs.com/

It looks like they are a newer supplier of them as they are not in their listed products they are just on their revolving homepage images.

I have found a couple other supplies but these guys are so far the cleapest, and though I call them local they are a state away from me, but I go down to that area usually once or twice a year so its no big deal for me.

I realize I would also need to buy the taps for them which would add to the cost, though I also do not have any ball lock connectors anymore as I let them go with my kegerator setup, so that would be a small cost as well.

I guess I just dont want to buy 6 of these and regret it and wish I went ball lock. I was more than happy with my ball locks that I owned and had no problem with them.

I guess I am almost thinking long term, which would be the better investment. I am just thinking say 10-20 years from now if I am still brewing and kegging which would be the better deal? Ball locks seem to have more parts on them that would need replacing. The sanke is thicker and more heavy duty but its not like I will be throwing them on the ground.

What a dilemma, its like do I buy a chevy or ford when all I want is vehicle that works haha..

Latest posts

Back