10g of dextrose = ?g malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oinyo

Reaction score
Hi all. i am getting close to bottling and I am going to replace the x amount of dextros in the kit with malt extract.
Should I messure the dex and put the exact same amount of malt extract in its place or should I add a little more/less?

thank you

Bump. Still looking for a answer to this as it moves off the front page without anyone helping :(

EDIT....sorry misunderstood your post.

I would advise using the dextrose for faster priming w/ better results. That being said if you are set on using DME I would guess using 1.2x to 1.25x units of DME would work. W/out knowing exactly what type of extract you are using one can only guess at the fermentability of the extractt, as they do vary from one manufacturer to another.

Hope this helps???

Bad advice some gave me i guess :p they said it would taste better

Beersmith says that to replace 4oz of dextrose you need 5.6oz of DME. Thats around 2.8 volumes of CO2 at 45F. Most kits or recipes I see suggest 4-5oz of dextrose. If you want it more carbed add a little more. Less carbed, well, less. I have never bottled with DME but I have heard it will add a little body and creamier head to the beer. Don't forget it will take twice as long to carb. also!

Bad advice some gave me i guess :p they said it would taste better

This is valid for the main fermentation, but for carbonating, the additional sugars are so minor that you really will not notice a difference.

Latest posts

Back