1084 super slow start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BionicSniper

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone else has super long lag times with wyeast 1084?

I am doing a killian's irish red clone that came out at exactly 1.050 OG and pitched 1 pack of 1084 (no starter) at 70*F about 55 hours ago.
It has been at 72* since then and I just took another gravity reading and it was still 1.050.

The wyeast was about 2 months old and was refrigerated the entire time. It did not swell very much but I pitched it two hours after I took it out of the fridge. It did not smell very good when I opened it to pitch it.

Should I give it another day or pitch more yeast?

This is a yeast that I love for my reds and Irish stouts. Never had an issue with kickoffs and I harvest this yeast regularly, probably used about half a dozen times in past six months. If it had a different smell than the normal funky yeast smell and it hadn't kicked off at this point, I'd think you may need to repitch either another pack or some dry yeast, maybe some Nottingham...

This is a yeast that I love for my reds and Irish stouts.

Me too.

I just did an Irish Red on Sunday and it was going strong in about 6 hours.

You really need to learn how to make a starter. This ensures that the yeast is viable and jelp get things kicked off quicker.

Back