1056 v. 001 - The same or different?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paully

Reaction score
I've read in other forums that some people think these two strains are the same strain. Why, then, are their stats so different? Apparent attenuation, flocculation, optimum temp, are all different according to Wyeast and White Labs websites.

You are probably all sick of hearing about these yeasts, but in my two years of homebrewing, I have never used an American-style ale yeast like these (my wife and I are more partial to the English, German and Belgian-style ales), and I plan on breaking my streak soon.

Does anybody KNOW that these strains are the same/different? To anybody with experience with these two strains, which one do you prefer and why? Has anybody had experiences with some of Wyeast's or White Labs' other American/Cali/Chico-style yeasts? Just trying to get an idea of how these yeasts preform and what to expect. I will probably end up trying a few different ones. Thoughts?

Apparent attenuation, flocculation, optimum temp, are all different according to Wyeast and White Labs websites.
part (if not all) of the answer is that these numbers are either subjective or are measured differently by the two companies.

for example, there is no standard on measuring attenuation. they could be using different strength worts, fermenting at different temps, etc.

Every WL yeast I've looked at that corresponds to a WY number has a higher attenuation. It's the way they're conducting their trials.

It would take a highly trained palate to tell the differences. But they are there, I am told (I can never tell).

Question: How well does this yeast (assuming they are the same strain) flocculate? I bottle my beers. Does this yeast stick to thre bottom like some good English strains, or float around and find its way into your glass? Thanks!

Question: How well does this yeast (assuming they are the same strain) flocculate? I bottle my beers. Does this yeast stick to thre bottom like some good English strains, or float around and find its way into your glass? Thanks!

The 1056 will definitely come out of the bottle into your glass, but if you pour slow enough, you can see it coming down the bottle and can stop pouring with about an ounce left in the bottle.

S-05 flocculates less than 001. Both aren't great to begin with, though.

In my experience, WLP001 flocculates better than S05, by alot. It's not great, as pseudoChef said, but it's quite a bit better.

I don't see that they are the same strain. I get "peachy" esters at low temperatures with S05, but not with WLP001. I have WLP001 fermenting at this moment at 63 degrees- with s05 that would have been peach schnapps for sure.

In my experience, WLP001 flocculates better than S05, by alot. It's not great, as pseudoChef said, but it's quite a bit better.

I don't see that they are the same strain. I get "peachy" esters at low temperatures with S05, but not with WLP001. I have WLP001 fermenting at this moment at 63 degrees- with s05 that would have been peach schnapps for sure.

odd...i use 05 all the time in the low 60s and don't get anything "peachy".

Wow I hope I don't get peachy in my pale ale fermenting at 65F with 1056.

If you are looking for a similar yeast that attenuates and flocs better, try WLP090 San Diego Super. I constantly hit 84-85% attenuation with it and also have clearer beers. I don't taste any difference between WLP090 and WLP001.

By "S05," do you include 1056 in that, or is that just with Safale 05? I am trying to compare 1056 with wlp001.

If you are looking for a similar yeast that attenuates and flocs better, try WLP090 San Diego Super. I constantly hit 84-85% attenuation with it and also have clearer beers. I don't taste any difference between WLP090 and WLP001.

Definitely going to have to try this strain. Thanks!

I recommend wlp 090 over 001 no question. I ferment on the cooler side around 64-66 with 090. Its not as fast fermenting than when at 68.. . In my experience 090 also has a smaller krausen and less of needing a blow off than 001.

Latest posts

Back