100 Skills Every Man Should Know

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So How Many Do You Know How to Do?

• Less than 20

• 21 - 30

• 31 - 40

• 41 - 50

• 51 - 60

• 61 - 70

• 71 - 80

• 81- 90

• 91 - 100

Results are only viewable after voting.
Here I thought I was manly just because I prefer to drive manual transmissions whenever possible.

Hey! you ain't a man until you've driven a stick shift in a country that has the steering wheel on the wrong side! There ain't nothin' like trying to change gear and all you are doing is winding the window down! ;)

Hehehe... In snow, nothing feels more at home than a V8 RWD Crown Vic, but my AWD Mountaineer is a nice substitute though. Neither comes in a manual, though, for a 5-sp, my personal favorite is a 4.9l I-6 Ford RWD pickup. Something about the torquey straight 6 is really fun. :) I tried to teach SWMBO a manual, she just got frustrated.

I'm mad that "wax a car" is on there! What real man waxes a car? Maybe the Red Green Show has just warped my perception of a Real Man. :p "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" ... who needs wax when there's Duct Tape?

OK, so I've gone through their website and looked into what they REALLY mean by some of these... I mean, it's an awfully brief description.... There were a few that I had to respond, "Oh, that's all they meant?!" ... so realistically, I'm closer to 57/100.

Still. Some of you scare me. :p

you might be able to as quarter backs throw spirals...;)

Good catch, I was just looking through the detailed list at the ones I didn't know. I have to admit this, I don't even watch football, baseball, any-ball. :D

The funny thing is I can throw a Spiral, now that I realize what it is. Never played football, but have tossed the ball.

No calculus? Obviously designed for LILFs.

(Low-intelligence Life Forms)

Thus my HIGH score.

EdWort +10 MILLION on the Santoku knives. I've all but abandoned the Traditional Cheffs Knife. But again....an E'Cheapo Farberware Santoku is worthless as well.

For Pocket knives....I'm all abou Kershaw Onions. I must have 10 of the darn things.
8051d1223562723-100-skills-every-man-should-know-chivew.jpg

8052d1223562732-100-skills-every-man-should-know-1660cb.jpg

chivew.jpg

1660CB.jpg

I think basic hand-to-hand combat, shoot a bow, forage, use a compass and
negotiate should be on that list.

Speaking of pocket knives, honing one should be on that list. ;)

And to test the edge:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksn0tjpH5_8&feature=related[/youtube]

Having a father that was born in 1918, grew up in the Depression, was a coal miner as a teenager, fought in WWII, yadda yadda yadda, helped me learn most of those skills, not the technical ones like harddrives, et al, but the rest of the "self sufficient" ones were pretty much handed down at his knee....Even honing a knife (I think I have all his stones, which have to be over 50 years old knowing him)

My dad didn't call a plumber/electrician, etc unless he couldn't do it himself...even basic car mechanical skills.

The funny thing is that after the war he became a "suit" he was an accountant for a steel company, but he had a garden, a workshop, and pretty stocked garage.

Some of those things like "waxing the car" were my weekend chores...

If only my dad hunted though. there's a few skills I woulda liked for the umpcoming zombipocalypse.

I don't think half this stuff is taught anymore, even in cubscouts (where I learned some of the survival skills.)

It's funny that this book is such a big deal now...In a day where kids don't climb trees or even play outside anymore for fear of the predator snatching them up...

staff%20faves%20dangerous%20book.jpg

I grew up doing this stuff...And I'm only 43

So did I, so did I- and I'm a bit younger than you are. ;)

Hell, I still try to do them...:D

That's why I want to have kids....MY kids aren't gonna have sanctioned "play dates" and sit all day in front of the computer...They're going to have tree houses (in real trees, made with nails and wood stolen from construction sites and road crews like mine were) They're gonna shoot BB guns, ride bikes, own slingshots and bow and arrows...and learn to blow stuff up...

Just like I did...;)

97/100 if style/quality doesn't count I have done them all just not real pretty in some cases. My four sons in the Army/Air Force tease me that I couldn't do a push-up to save my life. I can't paint a straight line even when masked out. Lastly, only fools go tearing down a steep incline on a mountian bike.

There were a couple of lame ones, but I managed over 90. How do you survive a lightning strike?? I have never run rapids in a canoe, either. I got pretty much all of them except those.

Waxing a car is a skill??

Hell, I still try to do them...:D

That's why I want to have kids....MY kids aren't gonna have sanctioned "play dates" and sit all day in front of the computer...They're going to have tree houses (in real trees, made with nails and wood stolen from construction sites and road crews like mine were) They're gonna shoot BB guns, ride bikes, own slingshots and bow and arrows...and learn to blow stuff up...

Just like I did...;)

Wow, we just HAVE to get together sometime! Our kids can have a playdate...

93 for me, thanks to my Dad.

I could really care less about making a bed.

I use a big #4 cleaver instead of a chef's knife.

And this is the current pocket knife. Benchmade Mel Pardue.
Benchmade-551-rw-10576-3052.jpg

+1. I can add a bazillion things on there courtesy of Dad, like how to set a Conibear, etc. They should do a top 100 things for being a Dad.
AND you should have to score a certain % before they turn on your genitalia! That way we don't end up with kids scoring 20 or 30 on THIS list.

And FWIW...It's how to keep yourself alive AFTER being hit by lightening...not a contest to see who's done it.

I had a nice auto assist kershaw, but the po-po here in NYC consider it a weapon. I did talk my way out of a night in jail for having it.

I bet that cop still has my knife.

I have 99 as I don't know how to weld, but to be honest, I wouldn't be comfortable sailing on my own, though I have done it once or twice...

There seriously needs to be an extra set of urban skills, I grew up in the middle of nowhere, but now I live in a pretty big city. The skill set is totally different, but is totally needed.

You know, like nunchuku skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills

OK, the 34 of you in the 91-100 category. Where do you find the time to learn all this stuff?

I suppose I could do many of those things if I tried. Missing from this is who actually has the desire to do all of it.

For instance, I can and have changed my fan belt. No biggie. I suppose I could escape a sinking car, but I really don't plan on driving my car into a body of water anytime soon. Thus, no desire to learn how to be Houdini.

Like flagging down cabs, avoiding pan handlers, killing roaches and how to spot a great taco cart, right?

Ooh, and like knowing which dive bar is the cheap safe one, and which one will get you raped.....regardless of which gender you are...

Oh. Just here? Just me? ok.

88- Severely hindered by not being in the military or the scouts, but maybe more remarkable in that I have sought out all these skills on my own.

Donasay- How can you not know how to get blood out of fabric with all the talk on this board about Oxyclean?!

OK, the 34 of you in the 91-100 category. Where do you find the time to learn all this stuff?

Well, I'm just about 40, so if you take a week to learn each of these things, you can see that it will really take you no time at all. I'm a hobbiest, so I'm interested in a great number of things.

They don't ask if you know how to perform an emergency ascent while SCUBA diving.
They don't ask if you know how to survey a cave system.
They don't ask you if you know how to tie a Prussik Knot and use it to ascend a sheer wall or make a makeshift harness for climbing.
Not how to patch a shingle roof.
Etc.

There is too much to know, and not enough time in life to know it all. Granted, some of this stuff I've never had occasion to actually experience, but the process is in my head. Although I doubt I'll ever need to know how to mountain bike down a sheer drop...

I know that if I'm ever naked in the woods, I'd still be able to open that bottle of beer (and I'd possibly be able to track down that dirty slut who stole my clothes!)

I suppose I could do many of those things if I tried. Missing from this is who actually has the desire to do all of it.

For instance, I can and have changed my fan belt. No biggie. I suppose I could escape a sinking car, but I really don't plan on driving my car into a body of water anytime soon. Thus, no desire to learn how to be Houdini.

Just depends on how, and where, you grow up. For me it was moving a lot and living in different environments. Spent 5 years (Jr and Sr high school) near the beach in San Diego so I learned SCUBA and surfing etc.. My Dad did a lot of projects I helped with, spent 4 years in metal shop with 1 of those as a machinist apprentice. Worked on my own car, changed it from an automatic to a 4 speed manual and became a mechanic for a few years. Then moved to the mountains and started building log furniture and felling trees. Built an addition on my house on my own. I only heat my house using firewood I've gone out and collected, cut and split myself. Pretty much a learn by doing type of life. And I'm raising my boys to do the same.
And I went into health care as my career which lead to computer work and building/fixing my own computers and then networking and admin work. I think that covers it. Oh, and I'm a single parent and my mom was somewhat challenged in the kitchen so if I want/wanted to eat I have/had to cook. One of my chores growing up was ironing my dad's shirts and hankerchiefs and shining his shoes.

I got about 92+ ...

1. I've never used a stick welder, nor haven't had a need to.
2. I can escape a sinking car, but have enough sense not to crash my car into bodies of water.
3. I can't use a sewing machine ... and don't want to learn
4. Treat a snakebite? Yeah, right? No one can without anti-venom besides making a tourniquet.
5. Run rapids in a canoe? That's kind of a loaded one there. Canoes aren't made for real rapids. If you're talking about smaller rapids, then fine.
6. Own a sand blaster? That many people on here own sand blasters? I have a small detail sander, orbital sander, belt sander, drummel tool, angle grinder, have regular access to a power washer but a sand blaster, yeah right.

Just depends on how, and where, you grow up. For me it was moving a lot and living in different environments. Spent 5 years (Jr and Sr high school) near the beach in San Diego so I learned SCUBA and surfing etc.. My Dad did a lot of projects I helped with, spent 4 years in metal shop with 1 of those as a machinist apprentice. Worked on my own car, changed it from an automatic to a 4 speed manual and became a mechanic for a few years. Then moved to the mountains and started building log furniture and felling trees. Built an addition on my house on my own. I only heat my house using firewood I've gone out and collected, cut and split myself. Pretty much a learn by doing type of life. And I'm raising my boys to do the same.
OK, then. My dad taught me to fix cars, so I can do that fine. I'm not a car freak though. So long as it goes from A to B, I'm good.

I have the urban skills having grown up in cities. And I can do just about anything sports related. My dad didn't do much around the house, not because he couldn't but because we mostly rented and he preferred to let the landlord deal with stuff.

I can't build anything worth a crap, unless it's a snowman. But I can relace a baseball glove like nobody's business. Point is, my skills are virtually useless, whereas many of these listed have some root in usefulness.

Just like I did...;)

Feh! Wait till you buy your kid a set of throwing knives -- throwing knives! -- and he still wants to sit inside and play video games. Oy.

NOTE: My 14 year old is pretty great. He's a good shot, likes to cook with me, and did enjoy the throwing knives for a couple of days until he realized that he wasn't going to become a ninja anytime soon. And I can still kick his ass in Half Life 2. ;)

Chad

Back