100 ML slurry too big for 1.6L starter ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
Wondering about pitching rate for a 1600 ml starter...

I have about 100ml of clean us-05 slurry, 2nd generation (it was harvested from a primary of a 1.045 ale about 3 weeks ago)...

Should I use it all in the starter, or maybe cut it in half..or maybe I am getting too anal about the yeast :)

For a starter, I would pitch it all. It will propagate what it can in the amount of wort you are giving it. I would not worry about over pitching in a starter - you are just growing the yeast, not worrying about beer character. Under pitching is a different story as you can get unwanted mutation.

Wondering about pitching rate for a 1600 ml starter...

I have about 100ml of clean us-05 slurry, 2nd generation (it was harvested from a primary of a 1.045 ale about 3 weeks ago)...

Should I use it all in the starter, or maybe cut it in half..or maybe I am getting too anal about the yeast :)

Shouldn't the question be pitching rate for your intended batch? 100ml of fresh slurry is likely sufficient for a 5 gal. batch of average gravity ale, and a starter wouldn't be needed. But, what are you planning to brew?

I just had a batch that got a 1.5L starter from 150ML slurry. Maybe the numbers don't add up quite right, but the boots on the ground test turned out great.

Shouldn't the question be pitching rate for your intended batch? 100ml of fresh slurry is likely sufficient for a 5 gal. batch of average gravity ale, and a starter wouldn't be needed. But, what are you planning to brew?

Yes - this is true. I will be making a garden-variety pale ale, OG = approx 1.050...MR malty is my friend, and I will visit.

I was curious because a single vial of White Labs is about half of what I have harvested...but I am sure nothing will be 'ruined' if I pitch a tad bit more yeast..

Mr Malty says you would only need 50mL of yeast solids from 3 weeks ago for 5 gallons of 1.050. I would either just direct pitch the right amount, or split the batch so you can make multiple batches with it and just make a starter with the split batch.

i direct pitched saved slurry in my last batch using the mr. malty calculator. it was fresh, uncompact slurry and i used 200 ml. fermentation was great, it over-attenuated a bit actually. see if mr. malty has you overpitching if you make that starter

i direct pitched saved slurry in my last batch using the mr. malty calculator. it was fresh, uncompact slurry and i used 200 ml. fermentation was great, it over-attenuated a bit actually. see if mr. malty has you overpitching if you make that starter

Mr Malty has him overpitching WITHOUT a starter, assuming a normal gravity beer.

Mr Malty has him overpitching WITHOUT a starter, assuming a normal gravity beer.

just ran the tool. yeah, OP definitely does not need a starter. I adjusted for the age of the yeast, which reduced viability, and makes 100ml seem about right

It's ok to go big. I started with lagers and thought I was supposed to pitch large starters even with ales. People loved those beers. If anything I think I under pitch using me. Malty.

It's ok to go big. I started with lagers and thought I was supposed to pitch large starters even with ales. People loved those beers. If anything I think I under pitch using me. Malty.

It's better to over pitch than under pitch, but it is even better to pitch the right amount. If you set the variables in mr. malty right, it shouldn't under pitch

Back