100% Brett Stout help/advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I'm ordering a couple vials of Brett Brux Trois this week. I planned on making a 100% Brett beer. Since my last 100% Brett beer was an IPA, I thought I'd try something different and make a stout. I think the fruitiness of the Brett, could lend itself well to a dark beer and could end up almost like an export stout. I like a more robust stout as opposed to a dry stout, so I want to try to give this beer as much body as possible. Obviously, this will be difficult with Brett's high attenuation levels, but I want to do my best. I've read that the best way to increase body is to use malts with high proteins. Which ones would you recommend? 6 row? Carapils? Oats? I planned on making oats 15% of my grist, but should I replace it with another malt or should I keep the oats and maybe use even more?

Any advice would be appreciated. I can also post the recipe for this beer if need be.

I recently bottled a 100% Brett Lambicus WLP that I brewed in January. A 100% Brett beer won't be superattenuative like when used in secondary (correct me if I'm wrong guys). It was an oatmeal stout and finished in the normal range for that style...even though it was Brett. I'd say go crazy with oats, worked for me.

I recently bottled a 100% Brett Lambicus WLP that I brewed in January. A 100% Brett beer won't be superattenuative like when used in secondary (correct me if I'm wrong guys). It was an oatmeal stout and finished in the normal range for that style...even though it was Brett. I'd say go crazy with oats, worked for me.

Sounds good. I have 36 oz of oats in my pantry, but could easily get more. I don't mind increasing it to 20-25% of the grist. And I should clarify, that when I'm talking attenuation I meant 80-85% which is what my Brett IPA did. I'm not expecting it get down to to 1.002 or anything, but I usually use a low-attenuative strain with my stouts, so that difference of 10-15% would still make a world of difference in terms of mouthfeel.

I'm ordering a couple vials of Brett Brux Trois this week. I planned on making a 100% Brett beer. Since my last 100% Brett beer was an IPA, I thought I'd try something different and make a stout. I think the fruitiness of the Brett, could lend itself well to a dark beer and could end up almost like an export stout. I like a more robust stout as opposed to a dry stout, so I want to try to give this beer as much body as possible. Obviously, this will be difficult with Brett's high attenuation levels, but I want to do my best. I've read that the best way to increase body is to use malts with high proteins. Which ones would you recommend? 6 row? Carapils? Oats? I planned on making oats 15% of my grist, but should I replace it with another malt or should I keep the oats and maybe use even more?

Any advice would be appreciated. I can also post the recipe for this beer if need be.

sounds very interesting, please post updates!

Revival

Any updates on taste? This strain eventually became the Brett-like sacchromyces.

Did the yeast play well with the dark malts?

Back