10# vs 20# CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
I see that 10# CO2 is the 'norm' for homebrewers..

Cheapest I can find in town is $100 filled.

The wholesale welding shop down the street will sell me 20# filled for $82.

my friend says they are very heavy and cumbersome, and I will def have to drill a hole in the fridge/keezer, which i plan on doing eventually anyways..

i will begin with 4 5gal on tap but will buy a keezer that will allow me 6 on tap within a month or two..

does anyone have anything else to offer pro v con for the 10# v 20#?

Go for the 20#. Locating the tank outside the keg fridge isn't that much of a hasle. Less so if you are going to be building a keezer and putting a collar on. Not much effort to drill an additional hole in the collar. Also the refill price between a 20# and 10# is pretty nominal so you'll save money each refill. Plus the initial cost is less for the 20#. I'm really seeing no cons for buying the 20#.

I have a 10# and a 5#. If I had the opportunity, I'd get a 20 instead. The only issue might be weight. I have no problem hauling the 10# out to get it filled, but the 20# might be just a little big for me. If you're a big strapping guy, then don't worry about it!

Some pros:

Less fills- it'll last twice as long.
I had to drill a hole in my fridge anyway, for the 10#, so why not just make it a 20#?

Some cons:
If you get an undetected leak, you're out 20#s of co2 instead of 10#.
It's bigger, if you don't have much room it could be an issue

I can't think of anything else!

I agree with the above. A 10# or 20# would have to be on the outside anyway, might as well get the 20#. Either way, they usually sell CO2 by the pound. If it is too heavy, just don't have them fill it all the way.

good stuff, thanks gentlemen

the one problemn is that the keezer hasnt been purchased yet..

so i am using the landlord's fridge to get two on tap asap. if i go with the 20# right away, i will have to cut a hole somehow somewhere...

or maybe just one on tap and the 20# next to it and just pace myself til i get the dedicated keezer?

the fridge only fits 2 kegs....

either way, very excited about no more peeling labels off bottles and waiting for carbonation.. just wish midwest would ship my order that I placed on monday morning that i called today to check on and it still hasnt been fully processed..

i work in the industry and have access to any size tank i want. i use a 20 outside my keezer. its the perfect size to move around to get filled but its also big enough so it lasts a while

Welding supply near me exchanges tanks only. They don't do 10, so choice is 5 or 20. So far I have not upgraded to 20 as it takes up more room then I want and my back prefers lighter objects.

I donno, my motto is that you should buy the right thing the first time. If you have any inckling of upgrating you would only be wasting your money if you bought a 10 lb'er now and a 20 lb'er later.

I have a 5# and 20#. I bought the 5# first and stuffed it inside my Sanyo kegerator. I was tired of dealing with the tight fit inside the kegerator so I got the 20# and routed the tube through the drain hole. Besides, I found a hydro shop nearby that exchanges a filled 20# tank, which is the only size they deal with, for $18. This beats the cost of refilling a 5# tank for $20 at the paintball shop.

Now I'm using the 5# tank when I bring my brews to friends' parties.

Go 20# all the way... however get an aluminum tank if you can. I originally had a 10# steel tank and when I picked up my 20# aluminum, I couldn't believe how light it was.

Nevertheless, go 20# even if you can only get steel.

My .02

agree with the 20# nods. especially if you're building a keezer. my fridge will fit 4 kegs, i started off with a 20# in the fridge with 2 kegs, drilled a hole in it so i can fit 4 in there. the 20# tank is approximately the same size as a corny, a little wider on the bottom, but roughly the same height and circumference. have you taken out all the shelving and stuff in the fridge? if not, i bet you could easily get 2 kegs + a 20# co2 tank in there... MOST fridges have shelves and door organizers you can partially disassemble so you won't do any permanent damage to the landlord's unit. is it a regular size fridge or a compact?

+1 for 20 lbs, think filled weight on and aluminum is somewhere around 50 lbs...not that heavy (steel, probably more so). 26$ filled while I wait.

I ended up buying a 1.5 lb aluminum paintball tank (I play) for 27$ and a 14$ regulator to pinvalve adapter to go in my keezer.

I already had a Co2 paintball bulk filler (ebay home-made 40$, store retail 80$)

I fit 4 kegs and my 1.5 lb co2 tank in a 7.0 cu ft, plus about 40-50 bottles of beer.

I regret not going 35 lb+ tank (saw one on CL for 75$ not long ago, steel though) since it's a 1 hour drive to fill my tank (or even a paintball tank).

Stopped by the welding shop today to get a measure on the 20#. It will def fit in the fridge with at least one keg and probably two if i get the tank of the hump. Its a pretty standard regualr apartment fridge. I should be able to fit t kegs and the tank. Also picked it up and its wasnt bad at all. I didnt know about the steel or aluminium thing, but I was really suprised how light it was so i bet it was aluminum.

Now the annoying part is that Midwest still hasnt sent me a tracking # and I placed the order on monday afternoon. I was hoping to have the stuff by tomorrow (friday) but I dont even have the tracking # yet. Get with it fellas!

I'll add to the $.02 from earlier and contribute my $.03 worth. I've got 5lb and 15lb tanks. At the time it made sense to go with the 15 but I've wished time and again I'd have pulled the trigger on the 20lb. Go with the 20lb and don't look back.

They only charge a little more to fill a 20 over a 10. Having 20lbs the tank will last a long long time provided you have no leaks. Test with soapy water for sure.

Latest posts

Back