10 tip jet vs hurricane propane burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schristian619

Reaction score
I know it seems like this has been asked 100 times, but after searching the forums extensively, I haven't found the answer to my question, most refer to the 21 or 23 tip jets or the high pressure 10 tip jets.

So, from what I've gathered, without doing any modifications, these seem to be the only two worthwhile low pressure propane burners. There is a significant price different with the 10 tip jet burners being basically double the hurricanes, which is definitely a factor....but...If price was not an issue, why chose one over the other? I am building a brutus system and would like to go with whats spec'd in the plans, but am not opposed to altering either (I already am with a no weld design and boilermakers). So, this is what I have gathered thus far:

Jets: http://www.gashosesandregulators.com/jetburners.html
advantages:
-lighter and can mount directly to gas piping without additional mounts.
-look better IMO
-are spec'd in the brutus plans so makes it a little easier to build
cons:
-cost
-may be a bit much for a direct fired mash tun

Hurricanes:
advantages:
-cost
-may provide a more controlled flame, especially at lower levels
-may provide a more uniform flame
cons:
-need to build additional mounts
-larger/heavier
-additional parts needed to plumb
-ugly IMO

am I missing anything? Can anyone help explain why you would chose one over the other (other than price)?

Thanks...and sorry for the long post.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen those, but they are high pressure and I am looking for low pressure. I've seen people plug the tips of the 23 jet and make it 11, but I'm looking at the 10 tip low pressure from gashosesandregulators.com

Never used the multi tip but the Hurricanes are awesome burners and cool looking not ugly in my opinion. I use two of then on my rig and heat very fast over a wider surface that is why I choose to go with them.

Thanks. I've seen the ones at bbq guys, but they say "for high pressure applications only" so I'm not sure they'd work. The ones at agrisupply say high pressure as well. Can I use the 10 tip that say high pressure for low pressure? Is it just a matter of using a low pressure regulator or are there mods to the burner that need to be done? I'd rather not do the latter. Trust em I'd rather not spend the 90+ each, but I'm wondering besides cost, why one over the other?

I was also confuesed in the wording from bbqguys because they say low pressure in headline and high pressure in the description. I ended up buying my jet burners from here. I have not installed them yet because I am still building my brutus 10, but they too are advertized as low pressure and look very similar to the ones lonnie uses.

I got the Hurricane direct from the mfg. with the NG orifice, works well on 10g batches once I installed a heat shield. I think low pressure propane would work as well or better.

I ended up buying the same ones from topfoodservice.com. Someone on here said they were low pressure, but the guy I ordered from said they were high pressure. There may have been a language issue though. Hopefully they'll work.

I bought the same ones from topfoodservice and I use a low pressure. They work great.

1015092137.jpg

cool...great to hear. Hopefully I'll be up and running very soon..Only if my Blichmann order would get here, it's been over 2 weeks.....

Back