10 oz Score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buna_Bere

Reaction score
citra.jpg

Finally got my hands on some Citra,
making a single hop amber tomorrow,
can't wait to taste this one and it isn't even brewed yet.
I've used this same hop schedule with 2 other single hops,
bittering to around 40 IBU's tinseth calculated,
and it seemed to work very well to give lots of hop aroma.

69% Pale Malt
11% Munich 10
13% Crystal 80
7% Crystal 20

1 oz Citra at 20 min
1 oz Citra at 10 min
1 oz Citra at 5 min
2 oz Citra at 0 min
1 oz Citra at -5 min
4 oz Citra dryhop

Wyeast Kolsch 2565

Estimated OG 1.049
Estimated IBU's 42.2
Estimated Color SRM 15.3

Just a heads up, these hops are potent. 10oz in a late boil brew (with your expected gravity) would be overdoing it. 4oz is going to make you a super citra flavor/aroma bomb. Then you have 6oz to mess around with in another brew!

Seriously though... I just did 5oz late boil along with 5oz late boil of Amarillo in a DIPA and the Citra is way in your face... the first couple weeks it was grassy after that it turned into the famed pineapple, mango, tropical fruit flavor.

Thanks Jett, That DIPA you made sounds good, I'd like to try a single hop Amarillo next. Because of Citra's high oil content your making me think if I should only dry hop with 2 oz instead of 4. After I add my 2 liter unhopped starter, I figure my IBU's to drop from 42 to about 37, so the bitterness should be ok. I hope I don't get over the top grassy, a little grassy ok, but the Citra in your face with all those tropical fruit flavors is exactly what I'm shooting for here. I can't find any single hop Citra beers in the package stores here, so I'm really looking forward to trying this one to see what all the hype is about.

Looks good to me. I have a pretty well received all Citra recipe in my drop down (Zombie Dust). Uses 8-9 oz, a little for FWH, then I all hop burst/dryhop. Flavor is amazing.

Here's what happened
singlehopambercitra.jpg

It came in at 1.047 OG finished at 1.011 so 4.7% ABV.
It's good, real easy drinker, but I'm not all that impressed with the Citra,
maybe I just had my hopes to high.
My current favorite hop is still Crystal. My next amber
I'm using Hugh Baird Dark Crystal 75 instead of the Briess Crystal 80.
The Briess Crystal 80 just seems to be lacking the malt complexity the
Bairds Dark Crystal has. I'm interested in trying a Nelson Sauvin single hop
pale next, but I got a pound of Sterling I wanna use first.

BryanJ said:
What did you expect? You used way to much crystal, waste of 10 oz of citra.

Well im taking a guess but suspect that he was expecting a very hoppy, fruity beer. But ya know, that's just a guess. What did you expect as a reply? Your post was way to crass, waste of 10 seconds of reading and typing.

What did you expect? You used way to much crystal, waste of 10 oz of citra.

Uh oh!....looks like my post accidently alerted the crystal malt police.

So I like sweet beers, especially ambers, one of my favorite beers is Santa's Private Reserve from Rogue and that recipe has 30% crystal.

I think the beer came out good, I was just hoping for more tropical fruit aroma. Maybe as the dry hop aroma fades I'll get more of the tropical fruit aromas coming through.

Clever.

It seemed like you were trying to show case the tropical fruit and with the amount of heavy crystal you used it was bound to disappoint you. Citra is a nice hop and definitely try it again just tweak the recipe and you'll have the result you're looking for.

I hear what your saying, I think a single hop Citra pale ale would be good too, and for that I'd go down on the crystal. I've done a single hop amber with 20% crystal before and it came out great. The combination of Crystal hops and Crystal 75 is great. The sweet malt and the sweet fruit aroma go really good together. The Citra just didn't deliver as much sweet fruit as I was hoping, I'm just getting alot of orangey citrus so far.

Buna_Bere said:
I hear what your saying, I think a single hop Citra pale ale would be good too, and for that I'd go down on the crystal. I've done a single hop amber with 20% crystal before and it came out great. The combination of Crystal hops and Crystal 75 is great. The sweet malt and the sweet fruit aroma go really good together. The Citra just didn't deliver as much sweet fruit as I was hoping, I'm just getting alot of orangey citrus so far.

If you like crystal hops, then try ultra hops. Ill never go back to crystal, liberty, or MT Hood as long as I can get ultra. Crazy crazy good Nobel like aroma.

If you like crystal hops, then try ultra hops. Ill never go back to crystal, liberty, or MT Hood as long as I can get ultra. Crazy crazy good Nobel like aroma.

Now my list of future single hop brews is getting ridiculous
Sterling
Amarillo
Nelson Sauvin
Galaxy
Mt.Hood
Ultra
Centennial

completed single hops
Willamette
Crystal-twice a pale and an amber, both very good
Citra

I've tried a few of the Mikkeller single hops, but I'm always weary how long have these things been sitting on the shelf.

Have you tried the Nelson sauvin yet? They're good, but definitely unique

No, no Nelson Sauvin yet, I hear they're grapey, winey, I think I even read black currant. I just tried an awsome beer on draft last friday called Peeper Ale from Maine Beer Company, and I know they use Amarillo and Centennial in the late and dry hop additions and this stuff is awsome.

Latest posts

Back