10 Jet Cast Iron Burners BRUTUS TEN build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalvaroo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently started acquiring all the supplies to build Lonnie Mac's BRUTUS TEN. I noticed it was difficult to find the 10 Jet Burners he used in his build and ran across them tonight for $28 each at http://bayouclassicdepot.com/618lp-10-jet-propane-jet-burner.htm . So I figured I would share that with you guys, seeing as any Google search for them brings up this forum as the first hit. I previously bought two for $45 each and saw them for $100 somewhere else.

I've got just about everything for the build except for two brew pots and some fittings for the gas system. I'm at about a $1200 investment right now and I have a good up to date parts/price/vendor list going if anyone's interested. And an updated wiring diagram that goes into better detail

Right now I'm trying to figure out what exactly i need for those quick connect/disconnect fittings for the hoses, so I'm going to do a little searching on here. Also, I'm trying to figure out what i need to weld on the gas bar to connect the LP gas coming from the propane tank, that's also a little unclear. If anyone has any input, please let me know.

How do you connect this to the regulator? Is there a piece to mate the hose with the front end of the burner? There is no air mixing disc with this type of burner?

I would like detailed instructions on the build. Subscribed! Please pm me or post on thread. Thanks Agezzi

Do you mean quick disconnects for the brew pot hoses? They are pricey, but worth it. I just spend about $150 on fitting for my similar build. I got mine here:
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shopping.../DIY-All-Grain/Plumbing/?sort=featured&page=2
Thanks Ryandif,

That's exactly what i was looking for, I found some brass ones yesterday that were close to $10 at a mom and pop hardware store. I guess i was looking in the wrong place at Lowes. I think i'll suck it up and pay the extra for the stainless.

I'm still trying to figure out what part I need on those "RTD Tees" with the well for inserting the temperature probe.

Thanks Ryandif,

That's exactly what i was looking for, I found some brass ones yesterday that were close to $10 at a mom and pop hardware store. I guess i was looking in the wrong place at Lowes. I think i'll suck it up and pay the extra for the stainless.

I'm still trying to figure out what part I need on those "RTD Tees" with the well for inserting the temperature probe.

Best and most affordable QD's are the proflodynamics ones....you can get them @ Bargainfittings.com also. I really like mine...

you need a thermowell for the temp probe...ebay is a good place for those as well

Can anyone tell me how to plum a standing pilot light. I'm starting to collect my parts. But still don't quite get the pilot. Thanks for any help

Can anyone tell me how to plum a standing pilot light. I'm starting to collect my parts. But still don't quite get the pilot. Thanks for any help

I need help with the same thing... I'm trying to figure out the parts/installation... Not sure if i completely drill through the burner or not either...

Here's my parts list so far.... Just ordered the metal today.

Description / Part Number/ Vendor / QTY / Price / sub-total/ Shipping

Love Temperature Controller / EW-93520/ Cole-Parmer /2 /77.00 / 154 / 8.65
Toggle Switch / 7343K712/ McMaster-Carr/ 7 /4.46 / 31.22 /
Tube Adapter for Casters / 60945K31/ McMaster-Carr /4 /9.52 / 38.08 /
Honeycomb Pattern 12”x24” SS Sheet / 9077K123/ McMaster-Carr/ 1/ 44.60 / 44.6/ 5.06
March High Temp Brewing Pump / H315HF/ More Beer! / 2/ 149.95/ 299.9 /
Brass Ball Valve (GAS) / H220/ More Beer! / 5/ 9.95 / 49.75 /
Tubing - Silicone (1/2in) / H985/ More Beer! / 35'/ 2.10 / 73.5 /
Stainless Tee - 1/2in FPT all Sides/ H621/ More Beer! / 3/ 4.50 / 13.5 / 27.60
304 Stainless Tube 2x2x.120” / Bloomsburg Metal/ 529.76/
Casters-All plyurethane Wheel-Model 3/ 3AP4X/ Caster City / 4/ 19.43 / 77.72/ 12.02

Total (so far): 1365.36

I'm not sure why i've ordered a few fittings online already without ordering them all, i think i got a little click happy when i was shopping. I think i'm going to shop around more for the rest of them.

Stuff I still need: Quick disconnect fittings for the hoses, Parts for the "RTD tees", parts for the brew pot lids, false bottoms, (2) 15 gal pots, gas line pipes and pilot light parts. Other than that, It's ready for welding as soon as the metal is delivered.

yyXAvY786911-02.jpg

My buddy finished the tacking this weekend!

I just got an e-mail telling me to update my post. Well, I'm currently in Iraq right now, so work on my Brutus has taken a break until my return. Everything's going smoothly so far. Only have the electrical left and some drilling and tapping for those pilot lights. I'll post more pictures when i get back.

I did a test burn right before i left. It turned out great.

I'm about to order the Stainless steel for mine. A couple questions - how are the open ends of the steel tubing on the top and bottom sealed? And, how are the casters attached?

Here's another good resource for burners:

http://prostores1.megawebservers.com/krazykajuncookware_com/Categories.bok?category=Burners

I personally like the jet burners better - simply because the lack of a larger carburetor and the smaller foot print under on the stand.

We just used some scrap tubing to weld the ends closed and I think we also deviated from the original plans so that the only open ends were on the sides facing out and at the bottom where the casters are installed. If that makes sense.

As far as attaching the casters:

Tube Adapter for Caster part number: 60945K31 @ McMaster-Carr

I have some parts listed at the beginning of this thread... McMaster-Carr has anything you could possibly need, they also sent me a phone book sized catalog...

IMG_2706.jpg

IMG_2707.jpg

HUGE Update:

Two of my original burners installed were crating a lot of soot. I read a few posts by other people on here about the issue and It lead no where. I just came to the conclusion that i had the wrong ones installed.

So I took a chance and ordered replacements here:

http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merch...en=PROD&Product_Code=KECABJ001&Category_Code=

He e-mailed me back and asked if i wanted to include the pilots for the burners here:

http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merch...een=PROD&Product_Code=KECAP002&Category_Code=

I said sure and had to give him a call to give him my credit card information. Called him on Thursday and they were on my door yesterday, Friday.

They took about 20 minutes to install, everything fit perfectly with my previous set up. No drilling to install the pilots or anything. I wish i had these from the beginning. We spent a ton of time making those original pilots.

IMG_2693.jpg

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2691.jpg

FYI:

15 gal Blichmann pots don't fit in or on the 12" x 12" opening on this brew stand. I wish I hadn't bought those expensive ass pots. Today we're doing another modification just using some scrap SS tubing. I'll post some pictures when we're done.

-kal

Burner issue is solved, my new burners are working beautifully.

My 15 gal. Blichmann pots weren't fitting perfectly in the 12" x 12" opening on my stand so i decided to make brackets. I looked up some 304 SS angle, but it would put me back about $60 for 7'.... I only needed about 18" to 24" and i found 10" of scrap tubular from the original build, so i decided to make brackets out of that by cutting it into (6) sections @ 1.5" wide and then cutting them in half @ the angle to make (12) brackets for the (3) sections.

Today I got everything cut and ready to weld tomorrow... but here's some pictures to show what the mod is going to look like.

-kal

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

How far down did you install your jet burners? Ive read 2 1/2" from the top of the burner tip to the brew pot. I have my at 2 1/2 but I cant get good heat, just a bunch of soot.

I'll have to measure them and get back to you, but if I were to guess they're close to around 3". If you're looking from the front, the tips of the burners are below the bottom of my top support, if that makes sense. I had the soot issue with my original burners, eventhough they said they were for propane, i think I was sent the NG ones by mistake. I switched them out and haven't had a problem since. I also changed out the gas regulator I hook to my propane tank with an adjustable one and keep it at around 1.5 psi. Also, adjust your valves and keep that flame blue.

If you wouldn't mind checking I would really appreciate it. When my burners are on all I get is red/orange flame against the pot and just a small amount of blue at the very end of the burner tips.

I just measured and they're between 2.5" and just under 3" for my boil burner because there's no asco on that one. Which burners do you have? I only get an orange flame if I have the valve turned too low. Have you looked at my earlier posts? I had to switch my original burners out. Also what kind of regulator are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I have 2 10 tip Jet burners but Im using LP with a Marshal Model 230 Gas Controller. I tried dropping mine down to 4" but I still get the same thing. Soot all over and flames shooting all around the pot. Maybe I cant use them with LP. I brewed last night in my garage with the door open and the fumes were so bad my eyes were burning.

Do you like these burners now? I am starting my brutus build and was thinking about using them.

Great info Kalvaroo. Appreciate the posts. I have the 10 jet burners, can you explain the parts that you used to attach the pilot through the tab in the cast iron ring and to the gas line? What fittings secure it through the pilot light tab in the burner? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

On my first set of burners I drilled and tapped a hole to fit a small brass plug, in which i painstakingly drilled tiny holes in to use as the pilot. As far as the fitting on the bottom, I'd have to look at that again, but i used the inverse flair fitting for the gas line hose that I used. I would not reccomend making your own pilots, instead order these: http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merch...een=PROD&Product_Code=KECAP002&Category_Code= . When I replaced the old burners with these ones: http://www.topfoodservice.com/Merch...en=PROD&Product_Code=KECABJ001&Category_Code= . The guy called me for payment info and asked if i wanted to include those pilots, which I did. The new burners came pre-drilled and it was plug and play to the gas line hoses I already had. I'll take a look at the bottom and get back to you, or if you look at some of my older posts on this thread I think there's some good pics.

Back