$10 in-line regulators at manifold instead of multi-body regulator at CO2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordo_99

Reaction score
Edit: I'm going to buy one (B008JVM0BE off Amazon).

I managed to find some gauges locally for $5 that will fit perfectly (1/8", 0-30psi) so I'm going to give it a shot and report back.

-------------------------------------------

Explanation:

My keezer is REALLY tight with 3 kegs so I'm not even certain that I have the room for another regulator...so it's not so much about saving money as conserving space.

I currently have a 4-way manifold, single body regulator and Keezer set up for 3 kegs...I want to try to have variable pressure at each of the manifold ports using a single regulator to control pressure going into it and then reduce it further at each port. Probably something like this:

manifold port 1 -- regulator at 16psi -- wheat/hefe keg
manifold port 2 -- regulator at 11psi -- ales/lager keg
manifold port 3 -- regulator at 6psi -- stout/porter keg
manifold port 4 -- (no regulator) 35psi -- force-carbing

Essentially, I would be installing in-line regulators between the manifold and each of my kegs.

----------------------

Has anybody seen success in doing this?

Last edited:
It will not work like that. A needle valve controls flow not pressure. Need separate regulators for different pressure.

Is your co2 tank inside the freezer? If so so, if you could possibly free up enough space for a 3 or 4 regulator setup inside if you moved the tank out and ran a line in to the regulator manifold. This would require a primary high pressure tank regulator with a line going in to your secondary manifold inside. 4 regulators/pressure are nice.

It will not work like that. A needle valve controls flow not pressure. Need separate regulators for different pressure.

Thanks, I've edited my post after seeing this and found some in-line regulators that would work. It seems like the pressure control piece rated for 7-140psi but I can throw a 0-30psi gauge on it...I'm just unsure if it will have the precision I need to dial in the lower pressures but I ordered one anyway and I'll I'll find it in a few days (I'll roll the dice...$15 is worth it IMO).

Is your co2 tank inside the freezer? If so so, if you could possibly free up enough space for a 3 or 4 regulator setup inside if you moved the tank out and ran a line in to the regulator manifold. This would require a primary high pressure tank regulator with a line going in to your secondary manifold inside. 4 regulators/pressure are nice.

The tank is inside the keg but it's a 7CU (possibly less) keezer so I've got a really tight fit with 3 kegs...with two kegs I can do this no problem so I guess that's a decent backup option.

I'd get a bigger freezer but I've convinced the wife to let me build a dry bar inside a closet (3' deep, 5' wide, 9' ceiling)...so I've got to make due with this.

This is probably an unusual project compared to most on here with all the limitations I'm forced to work within but I can live with 2 kegs and a bigger regulator if it comes down to that.

Well I've got some findings on this to report back on...

First off, the item off Amazon is a complete waste of time as it was broken out of the box (packaging was clearly opened before it got to me though...I've got a replacement coming).

However, I went to my local Menards and found a 0-200psi regulator (CR1401G) for just $5 is an almost identical unit (but w/ gauge).

Anyway, I replaced the 200psi gauge with my 30spi gauge (Miljoco P150803), installed regulator directly to my 4-way manifold and set it for 10psi...came back 12 and 24 hours later and it's held resonably steady having only lost 1-2psi and no leaks.

...so at this point I'm reasonably happy with the experiment. It appears to be working but I don't expect the same performance as a $40-50 regulator. I have an Amber Ale about ready to keg so when that happens I'll check the psi again. If pressure had dropped further then I'll return the gauge and try the $10 (R1401G lock via nut) or $20 (0190188CT lock via press/pull of the knob) units they carry which each have a locking mechanism.

If this does work out long term, then I'll install two more at $7-15 each depending on whether or not I upgrade the stock gauge:

$6 -- 30psi gauge (Miljoco P150803)
$5-10 -- mini regulator (Menards CR1401G / R1401G)
$2-4 -- 1/4" brass nipples (Menards -- 1.5" 17700261 / 3" 17700264)

The nipples will be needed to offset the regulators (they're slightly too big to install next to each other).

Last edited:
OK, another update here.

My replacement B008JVM0BE arrived from Amazon yesterday...this one works but is still next to useless. No pressure gauge and very little precision/control for pressure.

I bought the $10 R1401G from Menards to compare against the $5 CR1401G and it's night and day how much better the $10 one is.

The CR1401G and B008JVM0BE are effectively the same thing...The regulator doesn't leak but it does suffer from precision/control issues, not to mention the plastic knobs are "a little wobbly". Adjustments of 1psi are extremely finicky and require about only 1-2mm of travel and even then the knobs "wobble" a bit so it's not going to work well for this application. To make matters worse, the lack of ability to lock it combined with poorly machined parts will probably allow for "pressure creep" over time.

With the R1401G, I haven't had time to properly test it out but it's extremely promising in comparison. For starters, the knob is nearly as precise as my "tank regulator" and there isn't any wobble to the knob like the others I tried already. 1psi adjustments require more movement than the other model and the presure moves a bit more evenly. Upgrading to a more accurate gauge isn't necessary but definitely helps a lot in dialing into a specific pressure! My only complaint at all is that it the specs suggest the regulator will only be accurate to within "set it and forget it" that isn't a concern for me...I can get the psi dialed into what I need and then just lock the knob (push it in...just like a watch).

So at this point, I'm really happy so far with the "experiment". I believe that for $15 per line and a single trip to menards this will work well:

$10 -- Regulator w/ 160psi gauge (R1401G)
$01 -- 1/4" coupler (HF14M14MB-B50)
$04 -- 60psi gauge (PG060A18)

If installing these next to each other then it costs $2 more to upgrade to the 3" brass nipple (17700264) because the knobs/gauges would overlap otherwise.

Edit -- added pictures...left regulator is the $10 one w/ upgraded gauge. right regulator is the worthless (for this) amazon one.

Attachments

• 20180226_214653.jpg
    20180226_214653.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 431
  • 20180226_220242.jpg
    20180226_220242.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 392
Lot's of solid info here. I recently built my keezer and am starting to regret my decision of not getting a 3 regulator system, Instead I only got a dual. I'll have to save this thread for when I get my third keg and tap setup.

What if you placed secondary regulators on the OUTSIDE of the keezer and just fed the lines inside? I've used the Chi Company bulkhead shanks which pass through a keezer collar, but you could just drill holes to the diameter of the gas lines and there you'd be. You could monitor and control pressures from outside, yet saving space inside.

OK, another update here.

My replacement B008JVM0BE arrived from Amazon yesterday...this one works but is still next to useless. No pressure gauge and very little precision/control for pressure.

I bought the $10 R1401G from Menards to compare against the $5 CR1401G and it's night and day how much better the $10 one is.

The CR1401G and B008JVM0BE are effectively the same thing...The regulator doesn't leak but it does suffer from precision/control issues, not to mention the plastic knobs are "a little wobbly". Adjustments of 1psi are extremely finicky and require about only 1-2mm of travel and even then the knobs "wobble" a bit so it's not going to work well for this application. To make matters worse, the lack of ability to lock it combined with poorly machined parts will probably allow for "pressure creep" over time.

With the R1401G, I haven't had time to properly test it out but it's extremely promising in comparison. For starters, the knob is nearly as precise as my "tank regulator" and there isn't any wobble to the knob like the others I tried already. 1psi adjustments require more movement than the other model and the presure moves a bit more evenly. Upgrading to a more accurate gauge isn't necessary but definitely helps a lot in dialing into a specific pressure! My only complaint at all is that it the specs suggest the regulator will only be accurate to within "set it and forget it" that isn't a concern for me...I can get the psi dialed into what I need and then just lock the knob (push it in...just like a watch).

So at this point, I'm really happy so far with the "experiment". I believe that for $15 per line and a single trip to menards this will work well:

$10 -- Regulator w/ 160psi gauge (R1401G)
$01 -- 1/4" coupler (HF14M14MB-B50)
$04 -- 60psi gauge (PG060A18)

If installing these next to each other then it costs $2 more to upgrade to the 3" brass nipple (17700264) because the knobs/gauges would overlap otherwise.

Edit -- added pictures...left regulator is the $10 one w/ upgraded gauge. right regulator is the worthless (for this) amazon one.
Good luck with it. I tried something similar with some cheap Norgren regulators. Gave up on the idea after multiple leaks. Also, the less expensive regulators weren't as precise (hence the pressure gauge graduations). Also, the regulators I was trying to use needed a higher inlet pressure than my primary tank regulator could provide. Eventually I broke down and spent the money on a real Taprite 4 regulator manifold and it works much better.

What if you placed secondary regulators on the OUTSIDE of the keezer and just fed the lines inside? I've used the Chi Company bulkhead shanks which pass through a keezer collar, but you could just drill holes to the diameter of the gas lines and there you'd be. You could monitor and control pressures from outside, yet saving space inside.

I hadn't seen the gas shanks before. Thanks for the recommendation! I may very well be moving the CO2 tank into a cabinet when I build a dry bar around it.

Good luck with it. I tried something similar with some cheap Norgren regulators. Gave up on the idea after multiple leaks. Also, the less expensive regulators weren't as precise (hence the pressure gauge graduations). Also, the regulators I was trying to use needed a higher inlet pressure than my primary tank regulator could provide. Eventually I broke down and spent the money on a real Taprite 4 regulator manifold and it works much better.

I appreciate the feedback. I'm still "reservedly optimistic" that this particular model will work out but that's only because I've seen such a big swing in performance compared to the other two models. If this model doesn't work out I'm going to scrap the project though.

I guess I'll upload a final picture of what I ended up with after getting everything installed and set...total cost was right around $50.

Tank regulator is set to 20psi and the in-line regulators are set to 15, 10 and 6 respectively (the 15psi gauge looks to be off in one picture but it's just the angle...pictures were taken seconds apart from each other).

...I'll post and update again in a few weeks on how things are holding up.

Attachments

• 20180227_213124.jpg
    20180227_213124.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 246
  • 20180227_213134.jpg
    20180227_213134.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 20180227_213105.jpg
    20180227_213105.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 232
I hadn't seen the gas shanks before. Thanks for the recommendation! I may very well be moving the CO2 tank into a cabinet when I build a dry bar around it.

The last three items on this page are bulkhead shanks: https://www.chicompany.net/index.ph...76_17_46_425&zenid=klltnuqhfn609h87ooj23c8qf0

I used the 4" one on my keezer to allow a gas connection to the inside while keeping the cylinder and regulator outside:

k4.jpg

I also used them on a ferm chamber that allows me to move the gas inside to carb something in the ferm chamber if I want, and to pass CO2 out to purge a keg, to quart jars that act as airlock, whatever:

newsetup7.jpg
newsetup5.jpg

Slick setup. Hey if it works, then voilla. I use a y splitter and turn one side off force carb and then turn down and turn other side back on. These keezer setups are sweet, with lots of room, shut offs, and potential. I like how you are using different psi's for different beers.

Great idea and nice set up. That is a good low cost method to have individual pressure adjustments for each keg.

I just checked Menards web site. They are offering a mail-in-rebate that brings the regulators down to $8.89 each.

I guess I'll upload a final picture of what I ended up with after getting everything installed and set...total cost was right around $50.

Tank regulator is set to 20psi and the in-line regulators are set to 15, 10 and 6 respectively (the 15psi gauge looks to be off in one picture but it's just the angle...pictures were taken seconds apart from each other).

...I'll post and update again in a few weeks on how things are holding up.
Do the regulators have an operating pressure range listed on them? If so, what is it?

...... That the same one?
Looks almost like it could be its twin.

HD has a smaller Model that looks to be a bit more compact and less money so it may be easer to attach to the manifold? I would pull the left end plug from the manifold and put one in that port, move the supply line from the tank to one of the ports in the middle, have the regulators at each end and on the outboard ports. Might make it a bit easer to see the gauges with some separation so they are all lined up.

Last edited:
Is there any reason one couldn't make a 3 or 4 body secondary regulator out of these, with each feeding a manifold?

they're exactly what you are "supposed" to use for secondary. but OP was trying to save some dough and giving the little guys a shot.

hopefully still working? holding pressure steady?

Do the regulators have an operating pressure range listed on them? If so, what is it?

They showed operating pressure of 0-145psi (maximum of 145psi input). The gauges they came with were 0-125psi (before I swapped in my 30psi gauges).

Is there any reason one couldn't make a 3 or 4 body secondary regulator out of these, with each feeding a manifold?

They would have to be connected in order from lowest to highest pressure (highest pressure is closest to the keg).

Technically speaking, it should work but I'm a bit skeptical still...what I'm doing will work decently even if these fluctuate 1psi but if you throw a few of them together like that then 1psi swings at the front may end up causing the ones at the end to change more than that.

I don't think it'd be a problem...I'm just suggesting that you wait until I've had more time to see this through and know whether or not it's worthwhile.

they're exactly what you are "supposed" to use for secondary. but OP was trying to save some dough and giving the little guys a shot.

hopefully still working? holding pressure steady?

So far so good. I have a 2nd keg (amber @ 12psi) in the system and it's running great. I plan to give it to the end of the month before I consider it a success; I figure that'll give it enough time to get "sloppy" enough for me to notice.

Just thought I'd mention that my primary goal was to save space in the keezer and to try something new. Cost is just an added benefit but after my time is put into it I'm really not very far ahead ($45 in parts, 5 trips to Menards/ReStore, 3 hours of labor -- $110 3-body regulator).

So far so good. I have a 2nd keg (amber @ 12psi) in the system and it's running great. I plan to give it to the end of the month before I consider it a success; I figure that'll give it enough time to get "sloppy" enough for me to notice.

Just thought I'd mention that my primary goal was to save space in the keezer and to try something new. Cost is just an added benefit but after my time is put into it I'm really not very far ahead ($45 in parts, 5 trips to Menards/ReStore, 3 hours of labor -- $110 3-body regulator).

And the space saving aspect?

And the space saving aspect?

I'm happy with it...I guess going with a 3-body secondary regulator would be about the same if I took the manifold out completely so you've got a good point there.

I'd just been comparing a dual-body primary regulator to a single primary and in-lines...once you're not attaching directly to a tank it can be moved around much more conveniently.

.....looks like plastic ......

The fitting body is metal. Appears to be some sort of cast aluminum. The pressure gauge is 1-5/8" in diameter and the adjusting knob is slightly smaller. Inlet/outlet is 1/4" and the gauge fitting is 1/8". I don't have one of the Amazon regulators to compare.

Reg1.jpg Reg2.jpg Reg3.jpg Reg4.jpg Reg5.jpg

interesting. maybe i'll pick up one of each just to see how they hold up.

not sure if im missing it but has anybody used the little compact version of the regulator?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Primefi...-with-Steel-Protected-Gauge-CR1401G/205149488

looks like plastic and not metal but there's no data in description. and im not convinced it is that much more compact that the regular one. anybody seen these up close? HD doesnt have on hand, have to order delivery to store.

That is the one that jordo said he had issues with:

“The CR1401G and B008JVM0BE are effectively the same thing...The regulator doesn't leak but it does suffer from precision/control issues, not to mention the plastic knobs are "a little wobbly". Adjustments of 1psi are extremely finicky and require about only 1-2mm of travel and even then the knobs "wobble" a bit so it's not going to work well for this application. To make matters worse, the lack of ability to lock it combined with poorly machined parts will probably allow for "pressure creep" over time.”

aha. i thought we'd covered it somewhere. ok, well then i guess i'll just go with the full size. figure out my layout and then order some up.

aha. i thought we'd covered it somewhere. ok, well then i guess i'll just go with the full size. figure out my layout and then order some up.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/R1401G?NCNI-5

This should return two hits for regulators...the $7.97 (CR1401G) one is next to useless but the $10.29 (R1401G) is what I have three of and I've not had any issues with them at all.

The model numbers are almost idential but you can keep them straight if you remember that the "C" stands for "Crap" :D

Here is my adaptation using one R1401G mini regulator and two 3 way manifolds.

The main regulator is set at 25 psi and feeds the manifold on the right side. The right manifold is for soft drinks and sparkling water. The mini regulator steps this down to the left manifold for beer.

The kegerator build is still in progress. There is room for 6 kegs so eventually I’ll have 3 beers and 3 soft drinks on tap.

ED07197B-DDFE-4439-BE93-DB956528C9D4.jpeg E98F72C6-CB35-4172-8455-91B3C7E6E9B8.jpeg

Nice looking setup you have there.

This also reminds me that I haven't posted any updates in a while...everything is still great with no leaks or pressure "drifting".

Nice looking setup you have there.

This also reminds me that I haven't posted any updates in a while...everything is still great with no leaks or pressure "drifting".

Thanks.

The mini regulator is very easy to set at a desired pressure and it holds it. When I snap the knob to the lock position it always jumps 1 psi. No problem, just expect that and set it accordingly.

Back