10 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc21986

Reaction score
So recently my brew partner has been complaining about brewing a 5 gallon batch and splitting it as usual. He wants to do 10 gallon batches and split them. Problem is I only have a 10 gallon brew kettle and I don't want to invest in another one right now. How can I do a 10 gallon batch of all grain in a 10 gallon pot?

It would have to be extract or partial mash topped off with the amount of water necessary to make your final volume.

^ that. And if your brew partner is asking for 10 gallon batches then your brew partner needs to pony up the cash for a larger kettle or settle for topping off. Do yourself a huge favor though and don't attempt 10 gallons in a 10 gallon kettle. Your pre-boil volume needs to be over 10 gallons.

For bigger beers, you'll need to do partial mash and then top up, but for average to low gravity beers you can still mash all grain with a 10gal pot. You'll still have to top up of course since you'll be boiling down way under 10gal, but I do it occasionally with my 10gal pot and it works out fine.

I recently brewed 10gals of Belgian Wit using BIAB with a 10gal pot. Mash like normal. Sparge if you can. Get that pot filled to about 9gal then just be very careful of boil over. Keep a low rolling boil to cut down on the boil off, but expect to have to top up with about 2-3 gallons of water.

If I top up with water wont that affect my abv?

Nope. If you create your recipe for 10gallons it doesn't really care how you get to the 10 gallons as long as your final volume in the fermentor is 10 gallons.

Mash and sparge for 10 gallon batch, collect and split runnings and do two boils. I did last weekend. Just need another pot to hold the extra runnings. You can even use a bucket if you have to. When one boil is done, cooled and transferred; start the next boil. Will add maybe 2 hours to your day but will have twice as much brew..... 5hours - 5 gal / 7 hours - 10gal - worth it to me.

I just cant top up to 10 gallons and still make a great HOPPY IPA. It would water down the flavor and IBUs too much for my liking.

What size is your mash tun? A 10 gallon tun will allow 10 gallon batches, but only for average gravity (for me about 1.060 is the max) beers. Anything with an imperial attached to it likely won't fit without getting creative.

Back