10 Gallon: Electric vs Gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shifty11

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I plan on upgrading my equipment to be able to do 10 gallon batches. Obviously 5 gallons batches will still be in the mix, but I want to have the capacity for 10 gallons.

What is everyone's thoughts get a gas burner set up or spending the extra money for an all electric set up? Seems like it's quite a bit cheaper to get started with a gas set up. Are there enough advantages to electric to spend the extra money??

What do you use? Would you switch from one to the other if you could?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Cheers!

Gas is cheaper up front but electric will pay for itself over time. Pick your poison. Having done both, I prefer electric.

It depends on your utility rates, where you're living, etc. I can say that going with natural gas has cost me a LOT more than I anticipated.

If you want to know for reals: price out EVERYTHING. Don't just ballpark it - itemize out every - single - thing.

Also, if you choose to go semi-automated (as in mash temp control), gas gets a lot more expensive.

I love my electric set up. No more going to the store to fill up propane tanks. I'm sure I'm even saving money in my water heating costs. I thought about buying a good burner, was using a turkey fryer burner, but instead used that $100 to put toward electric. One of the best decisions I've made for my brewing yet. Brew days are so easy now I just need to be there for the transfers and boil. I've been pretty much copying this build https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=497593. If your comfortable working with electric and can do the work your self I think it is a no brainier. If you need to hire a electrician and plan to move soon I might think twice.

So sounds like electric is definitely worth the extra money upfront. Ideally I'd be able to control mash temps and all that too, not just the kettle/boil. I'll take a look at that link and start putting together a game plan!
Thanks for the responses. If you know other 10 gallon HBs have them chime too!!

I built a 10 gallon system using kegs with propane. Brewed 500+ gallons on the propane system. It was a bit easier to brew on but after three years i ended up building a 50amp electric system. I can tell you that it will be more up front as others have said. you can control your cost by building your own panel. the three major things i got from going electric are; very fast heating of HLT, brew with garage doors closed and more control. if you want to check out my system hit up this link...

50amp System

and here is quick video of a brew day on it
https://youtu.be/NdSrNZIf-tw

if i could do it over again i will do electric three kettle with three pumps using 20 gallon kettles.

I love my electric set up. No more going to the store to fill up propane tanks. I'm sure I'm even saving money in my water heating costs. I thought about buying a good burner, was using a turkey fryer burner, but instead used that $100 to put toward electric. One of the best decisions I've made for my brewing yet. Brew days are so easy now I just need to be there for the transfers and boil. I've been pretty much copying this build https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=497593. If your comfortable working with electric and can do the work your self I think it is a no brainier. If you need to hire a electrician and plan to move soon I might think twice.
Hey Toejam... your only about 15 minutes from me (my little sister lives in Sanborn ) let me know if theres anything you want to see in person...

I agree electric was the best choice for me... brewing costs are like 50 cents compared to $2-3 and having to get the tank refilled... I also brew in a converted spare bedroom and do so during the winter... Other advantages are very repeatable control

i ended up building a 50amp electric system...... the three major things i got from going electric are; very fast heating of HLT, brew with garage doors closed and more control.
and here is quick video of a brew day on it
https://youtu.be/NdSrNZIf-tw

if i could do it over again i will do electric three kettle with three pumps using 20 gallon kettles.

That's a great video, thanks for posting it.
A couple of questions: How long is the brew day from start to finish?
I'm thinking it takes a while to clean everything? Also, in the video it was mentioned that the sparge/re-circulation step takes an hour?
Why would you need 3 pumps in a new system?

I'm thinking it takes a while to clean everything? Also, in the video it was mentioned that the sparge/re-circulation step takes an hour?

As someone who uses a similiar system with 3 pumps I can say they work better than less if you have everything plumbed in and dont like to be diconnecting and moving hoses around while brewing... since I brew in a second floor bedroom this makes things a lot less messy and easier.

also I recirculate for an hr and sparge for about 15 minutes myself...

Another thing to way is do you have appropriate 220v service to use in your brew space?
If not, that will set you back some bones as well. And if your breaker panel is maxed out (cheap contractor), it may not even be possible without a full overhaul.

I'm in the process of building a hybrid system with a 110v electric hlt on a PID so I can heat it overnighy, 110v rims and propane boil based around one pump, and a few 3way valves
It's not automated, but the only hose I'll have to move is a QD at the end of the brew to the fermenter (from whirlpool)

This is what I decided on because it is cheaper due to no automation (aside from hlt) and I don't have 220 to use in the basement, and a run there would be almost 100 ft of sjow.

Build what works for you. Yes, electric will save you $2-3 in propane, but we didn't get into this hobby to save money. And if we did, we were mistaken.

But do what will

Another thing to way is do you have appropriate 220v service to use in your brew space?
If not, that will set you back some bones as well. And if your breaker panel is maxed out (cheap contractor), it may not even be possible without a full overhaul.

I'm in the process of building a hybrid system with a 110v electric hlt on a PID so I can heat it overnighy, 110v rims and propane boil based around one pump, and a few 3way valves
It's not automated, but the only hose I'll have to move is a QD at the end of the brew to the fermenter (from whirlpool)

This is what I decided on because it is cheaper due to no automation (aside from hlt) and I don't have 220 to use in the basement, and a run there would be almost 100 ft of sjow.

Build what works for you. Yes, electric will save you $2-3 in propane, but we didn't get into this hobby to save money. And if we did, we were mistaken.

But do what will
$2-3 per brew.... Thats a lot of money over a couple years got most homebrewers who are considering something like this... Many people who brew in their basements have a dryer oulet to use or the electrical box there in the basement. A 240v line is usually easy to install unless you electrical box in in the finished part of your basement for some reason.
120v setups work though and are a good alternative for some. You just have to weigh the tradeoffs.

+1 I couldn't agree more

Way nicer set up than I have by far

+1 I couldn't agree more with toejam792

Way nicer set up than I have by far

Can you do decoction or step mashing or both with an electric setup?

Not without rims or herms coil or if you biab and keep the bag off the element
If you are using a bar bones 3 vessel system with just element in the bk and hlt, no.

$2-3 per brew.... Thats a lot of money over a couple years got most homebrewers who are considering something like this... Many people who brew in their basements have a dryer oulet to use or the electrical box there in the basement. A 240v line is usually easy to install unless you electrical box in in the finished part of your basement for some reason.
120v setups work though and are a good alternative for some. You just have to weigh the tradeoffs.

This is all depends on how often you brew as well. For me, I'd have to do a new power run as my breaker box is on the first story, not in the basement.
Everyone's situation is different. Saving $3 per brew would take me several years or more to recoup the money spent on a new rig and power run, even DIY.
110/120 rigs are fine, if the proper amperage is available for said rig. I recommend anyone looking to to electric rigs to make sure they have a solid understanding of electricity and building codes. There are plenty of how to's on building electric rigs, but everyone with an electric setup should have a full understanding of what the power required for it is.

I bit the bullet and went electric last year. I loved my old propane, keggle, cooler set up. I made a lot of great beers with it. Cheap and effective. Now that I've built my electric set up. I should have done it years ago. Way more control over mash temps. No more strike temp fingers crossed...oops I over or under shot my temps time to scramble. Set and forget! I've shaved 2 hours off my brew time with better control...whats not to like about that? Oh yeah...the cost! It did cost me some cash to build but way worth it in the long run. I'll never go back to propane.

Can you do decoction or step mashing or both with an electric setup?

Even without RIMS or HERMS you can. You just need to boil water in some other pot. You could do infusion steps or decoction steps in a smaller kettle on the stove.

Alternatively, you can add a rims tube to a gas setup.

Also, there's a thread around here with a $50 HERMS build.

I did propane for years on my keggles. I hated having to swap tanks all the time. Finally invested in the 4500w BoilCoil and got a controller from Jagger Bush Brewing (was going to build one, but that's a different story) and would never go back. I love being able to just plug into the wall and the speed in which it heats up water/wort. My vote is electric.

I brew 10 gallon batches with electric and love it.The electric is dirt cheap.I have the highest rate in the country and I think I figured it at around $1.50 per brew.(5500W)Way cheaper than propane and it never runs out..Brewing indoors in the winter on an ice cold day is a beautiful thing.I brew the most in the winter. From dryer outlet to pot,complete setup (including 20 gallon pot) built from scratch I'm at around $600.

I brew 10 gallon batches with electric and love it.The electric is dirt cheap.I have the highest rate in the country and I think I figured it at around $1.50 per brew.(5500W)Way cheaper than propane and it never runs out..Brewing indoors in the winter on an ice cold day is a beautiful thing.I brew the most in the winter. From dryer outlet to pot,complete setup (including 20 gallon pot) built from scratch I'm at around $600.

+1 I also do most of my brewing in the winter and minus my fermenter setup, my electric setup cost me somewhere between $1,000-1,500 and thats with the $160 in hardware to run a 30a gfci line upstairs to my spare bedroom where I brew...

Very nice! Do have any pics of your set-up on the site?

Very nice! Do have any pics of your set-up on the site?
Sure:)

Me right now on a 42 deg cold and rainy day!! :rockin:
Simple simple.
The fancy controllers are nice but all you really need is a PID,light switch,heatsink,Estop and SSR..In a Dewalt box of course.Octagon fish tank stand I was gunna toss works perfect.I have a hoist not in the picture to crank up the basket and lower in the lower pot,The yellow extension cord goes down the stairs to the dryer outlet. Works like a champ.

20160404_131429.jpg

Sure:)

Me right now on a 42 deg cold and rainy day!! :rockin:

Simple simple.

The fancy controllers are nice but all you really need is a PID,light switch,heatsink,Estop and SSR..In a Dewalt box of course.Octagon fish tank stand I was gunna toss works perfect.I have a hoist not in the picture to crank up the basket and lower in the lower pot,The yellow extension cord goes down the stairs to the dryer outlet. Works like a champ.

Nice! Is that a 30A circuit?

I'm going to try to BOIL 12 Gallons of wort in a keggle with a 120 Volt 1500 Watt element. The element can't exceed 120 volt or 1500 Watts because I'm planning to run it with a DC to AC inverter, Via solar and batterys. The power can do it, but can the element boil it?

I'm going to try to BOIL 12 Gallons of wort in a keggle with a 120 Volt 1500 Watt element. The element can't exceed 120 volt or 1500 Watts because I'm planning to run it with a DC to AC inverter, Via solar and batterys. The power can do it, but can the element boil it?

I dont think one element will be enough to boil 12 gal. If it can, it will take a long time to get to that point. You would be better served by utilizing two separate elements in two different circuits.

I dont think one element will be enough to boil 12 gal. If it can, it will take a long time to get to that point. You would be better served by utilizing two separate elements in two different circuits.

Yeah.. Doing more research looks like the most I could do is about 6 gallons. Thanks for your help

I went with a electric biab setup. One 20 gal pot (can do large grain bills and 10 gal batches), 5500W 240V element heats fast & can be run off 30 amp circuit. Use a spa panel & wire into main panel. I did have to make my own control panel (electricbrewery.com and the electric forum here have great ideas). The PID controller does a great job keeping mash temps where you want, 1 pot only needs 1 pump. In December can brew with the garage door closed. If you go electric biab I would get a stainless steel element so you dont deal with rust issues in your beer.

sorry so long to get back to you... i am trying to shrink my brewday time down as much as i can but still take 5hoursish... heating the water is not something i wait for any longer.

Your correct. cleaning is a PITA!!! but i have been thinking of ways around that... i just put a spray nozzle from the kitchen sink to help with HLT/BK cleaning. and i think next brew i am going to brew thursday night. fill BK/HTL with water and let system soak over night then clean next night. I like to wash system down with PBW and then StarSan.. so it's nice and clean when others come over to drink.

3rd pump will allow me to no move hoses and if / when i do a back-to-back brew it would help a ton.

Back