10 gal split batches but only one stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YNOT2K

Reaction score
I'd like to make 2 separate starters for my split batch so i don't have to try to pitch half into one fermenter and half into the other.

How would I do this considering I only have one Erlenmeyer flask and one stir plate?

Make starter #1, cold crash it in the fridge. Then make starter #2, cold crash. Time it so the second one will be crashed and ready just before brew day. The extra couple days in the fridge for the first starter won't affect its viability.

+1. Most erlenmeyer flasks are graduated. It's easy enough to pour nearly exactly half in to each fermenter. I don't know why you would go through the trouble to avoid doing so. Maybe you could explain your thoughts?

Make starter #1, cold crash it in the fridge. Then make starter #2, cold crash. Time it so the second one will be crashed and ready just before brew day. The extra couple days in the fridge for the first starter won't affect its viability.

This is exactly what I do.

+1. Most erlenmeyer flasks are graduated. It's easy enough to pour nearly exactly half in to each fermenter. I don't know why you would go through the trouble to avoid doing so. Maybe you could explain your thoughts?

I don't want to speak for the OP, but I do 10 gallon batches and use Wyeast 1968 a lot. It gets very clumpy and is nearly impossible for me to split equally between two batches. I end up doing separate starters for ease.

I don't want to speak for the OP, but I do 10 gallon batches and use Wyeast 1968 a lot. It gets very clumpy and is nearly impossible for me to split equally between two batches. I end up doing separate starters for ease.

Do you use a stir plate? OP said he had a stir plate... If you pull it straight off the stir plate and pitch, everything should be nice and evenly suspended without clumps.

Do you use a stir plate? OP said he had a stir plate... If you pull it straight off the stir plate and pitch, everything should be nice and evenly suspended without clumps.

I do use a stir plate but I cold crash my starters so I can pour off some of the liquid. That doesn't work so well for 1968.

After cold crashing the starters, which I assume is to let the yeast come out of suspension so I can decant some of the "beer", I would still need to warm the yeast to wort temp before pitching, no?

This seems like the most logical path for me. I'll make a starter, pour into a sterile jar and put in fridge, make another starter, do the same thing, pull both starters out on brew day morning to warm to room temp, decant excess "beer", brew, pitch, done.

On a similar subject, I tried an experiment this weekend.

I pitched a starter that I made from one package of US-05 in one fermenter (shown on right)

I pitched a harvested and unwashed slurry of US-05 from my last batch 4 weeks ago (shown on left)

Both took off fast - the pic shows the fermenters 16 hours after pitching.

Look good to you?

On a similar subject, I tried an experiment this weekend.

I pitched a starter that I made from one package of US-05 in one fermenter (shown on right)

I pitched a harvested and unwashed slurry of US-05 from my last batch 4 weeks ago (shown on left)

Both took off fast - the pic shows the fermenters 16 hours after pitching.

Look good to you?

Looks like the same thing I did.....color variance was really pronounced on final product. the house taster said there was some noticeable difference in the two...and that was expected since the slurry was from a different style beer.

Back