10 Days, Okay To Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcf8088

Reaction score
So I brewed a lemon wheat last Monday. It had a active fermentation, went from 1.044 to 1.015 last I checked three days ago. Airlock still popping but barely. I really want to Keg Friday or Saturday (first time and anxious). Tastes good, think it will be okay? BTW I have no pipeline atm.

So I brewed a lemon wheat last Monday. It had a active fermentation, went from 1.044 to 1.015 last I checked three days ago. Airlock still popping but barely. I really want to Keg Friday or Saturday (first time and anxious). Tastes good, think it will be okay? BTW I have no pipeline atm.

Sure. If the SG is still 1.015, it's finished and fine to keg.

and wheat beers usually taste better early as well :tank:

If the gravity is stable you can keg. A wheat beer is pretty light so longer fermentation is less important. As long as the beer has finished and is clear enough for you, it's good.

If you think its done, sure go ahead. No worries about bottle bombs since your kegging. I'd suggest you wait, but its your beer, and if your anxious (we've all been there), go for it.

if you are ever unsure if fermentation has completely stopped but want to keg anyway, just let the keg sit and condidtion at room temp for a week or two after you put the beer in it. it will finish up fermenting in the keg. then chill and carbonate it.

chilling it before its finished is what you dont want to do.

Since you are kegging you can rack it if you like. I'd probably give it a few more days, as long as there are bubbles (and the temperature is stable) it still slowly fermenting, but it's got to be close at that gravity. The extra days are only for a little more settling.

But it's safe and since it's a wheat beer, you probably aren't concerned about clarity.

Correct, I ended up racking and gravity is the same as it was 3 days ago so that's good.

It's chilling and carbing right now.

Well between myself and my family (who only drink coors btw) must've killed around 15-20 glasses yesterday so I would say it's a success. It's very coudy between it being a wheat, no whirlfloc, and being very young.

I still have "the plague" (been sick for two weeks!) but we are out of beer on tap. So I'm kegging a beer today, with much help from Bob since I have no strength on my own. It's been dryhopped, and it's about 16 days old I think. Bob's plan is to drink it flat tonight because it smelled so great when I dryhopped it. I think I might wait until it's carbed up, or until I feel better, whichever comes first. :D

Here's to a speedy recovery!!

Yooper said:
I still have "the plague" (been sick for two weeks!) but we are out of beer on tap. So I'm kegging a beer today, with much help from Bob since I have no strength on my own. It's been dryhopped, and it's about 16 days old I think. Bob's plan is to drink it flat tonight because it smelled so great when I dryhopped it. I think I might wait until it's carbed up, or until I feel better, whichever comes first. :D

Glad I'm not the only one who can't wait! lol Hope you are getting better!

Glad I'm not the only one who can't wait! lol Hope you are getting better!

I hope so too, thanks!

I did get two kegs into the kegerator, well, Bob moved it for me this time. I set the regulator to 30 psi, so we'll have beer quickly. I didn't sample it, but said it was really good out of the primary. It's a modification of Tasty McDole's APA recipe- a highly hopped but lower ABV pale ale. I can't wait until I feel better to try it!

Latest posts

Back