10% ABV barley wine hasn't carbonated 25 days after bottling--wait or act?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whahoppened

Reaction score
I primed with 5 oz. corn sugar. I like this brew a lot but there's only been a faint tingle of CO2 since a week after bottling. I don't want a "fizzy" final product, but would definitely prefer a half-inch or so of nice foam on top. Anyone with BW experience--do I just need to wait it out another month or two, or do I need to re-bottle with a different approach?

I had the same problem. Mine was 11% and didn't carbonate after 4 months.

I won 1st place with it anyway (funny, heh).

Later, I opened every bottle, dumped into a bucket, added a half packet of dry yeast, and re-bottled. I did not bother cleaning bottles -- just got some new caps. I did not add new priming sugar.

It's now carbonated.

ive never done a barleywine but someone(i think it was revvy) said it may take longer with higher alcohol beverages to carb. plus a week is pretty short wait a couple more weeks at the very least then check if its more carbed.

No, you read it right... sorry if I was unclear. I bottled it 25 days ago. After a week it seemed to develop a slight carbonation, and hasn't moved from that point since then.

I primed with 5 oz. corn sugar. I like this brew a lot but there's only been a faint tingle of CO2 since a week after bottling. I don't want a "fizzy" final product, but would definitely prefer a half-inch or so of nice foam on top. Anyone with BW experience--do I just need to wait it out another month or two, or do I need to re-bottle with a different approach?

My 9% Belgian strong dark took about 6 weeks. My 11% barleywine took about 2 months. 25 days isn't panic time, yet, but I'd invert the bottles gently to rouse the yeast and make sure they're not in too cool a location.

How long was it in the secondary? If you are getting a slight fizz I would let it wait another month or two. It's a barleywine so it will only get better with age.

Remember that Barleywines aren't highly carbonated by style. Go by taste not head thickness.

I would view a small amount of carbonation as a good sign that it will eventually carb up.

How long was it in the secondary? If you are getting a slight fizz I would let it wait another month or two. It's a barleywine so it will only get better with age.

It was in secondary for a little under two months. Total time between brewing and bottling was four months plus one day.

Remember that Barleywines aren't highly carbonated by style. Go by taste not head thickness.

Agreed--I don't want something pilsner-fizzy, but right now it's basically flat and I'd like it to have a little more of a tingle. Kind of like Sierra Nevada Bigfoot. There are some small bubbles visible on the surface after pouring, but not much else going on carbonation-wise.

Later, I opened every bottle, dumped into a bucket, added a half packet of dry yeast, and re-bottled. I did not bother cleaning bottles -- just got some new caps. I did not add new priming sugar.

It's now carbonated.

Yes, but does it taste like cardboard? wouldn't dumping the beer in the bucket oxidize the crap out of it?

No, it isn't fizzy.

Cardboard? No. There is so much alcohol in there you really can't taste anything else. Dark fruits, sherry, alcohol, I really don't like the stuff to tell you the truth. It won first place tho, so I can't say it's screwed up.

After the next December barleywine contest I'll probably give it away. I just gave away a whole batch of a belgian dubbel because it was too hot. I just don't like these big beers.

Back