10-15 gallon boils, Low Pressure Propane, Which Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkloos

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm tossing around the idea of swapping out my jet burners for something with mixture control. I've been reading around and the banjo seems popular.

My question is this. If I want to have the power for a 10-15 gallon boil, and not spend all day waiting for the temps to climb, which burner would you suggest.

I am using honeywell furnace valves with propane (low pressure). Want to keep this set-up.

Thoughts?

Bryan

I think that the Banjo and Hurricane are basically the same thing but the Hurricane burners seem to be more expensive. All you have to do is drill out the high pressure orifice to accommodate the low pressure. Here is a link that will help you decide how big to drill them. I'd suggest starting with 3/64" and testing that on your system to see how the flame looks. If the air shutter is closed quite a bit you can bump it up to 3/32" and test again.

Low Pressure Orifice Chart
Banjo Burner Prices

I think that the Banjo and Hurricane are basically the same thing. All you have to do is drill out the high pressure orifice to accommodate the low pressure. Here is a link

Low Pressure Orifice Chart

I think you are correct. I''m not sure if the castings are identical, but they sure appear to be.

Here's the BG-14 burner apparently sold bare bones without the orifice or regulator at a good price: http://www.agrisupply.com/bg-high-pressure-cast-iron-burner-/p/64494/cn/5400001/

I'm curious about this setup as well. This is what I am leaning towards when I build my stand. Does anyone have any info on boil times for 15 gallons with the hurricane/banjo burners with the furnace valves and low pressure propane?

P-lay

Did you ever get an answer to your question regarding boil times? I'm headed down the same path with the Honeywell valves and low pressure propane thru a banjo burner. I drilled out the gas orifice to a little under 1/8" which made a huge difference in the flame / heat produced.

Now just need to rig up a temporary stand and test the boil times

Back