1 Yeast for 3 Belgian Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stand

Reaction score
I consistently make three beers, and I'd like to be able to make them with one yeast rather than three.

I'm using WLP530 for a Trappist Single, Wyeast 3944 for Witbier, and Wyeast 3522 for my Tripel.

Of those three which would you pick!

Last edited:
I consistently make three beers, and I'd like to be able to make them with one yeast rather than three.

I'm using WLP530 for a Trappist Single, Wyeast 3944 for Witbier, and Wyeast 3522 for my Tripel.

Of those three which would you pick!
I’m giving 3522 a go for my “house Belgian” strain. It is almost done fermenting my saison and I’m planning a Belgian single with the harvested yeast. I’m hopeful that controlling ferment temps will allow for a wide range of yeast character.

3522 is my favourite belgian yeast, and while it won't make a true 'witbier' it does make a nice approximation of one when used with coriander and orange peel - it tastes sort of like a cross between a single and wit.

What do you think of as missing from the Witbier profile with 3522? I was worried about it floccing so hard. I tend to shake my kegs every once in awhile with 3944 to keep the yeast suspended. 3522 turns into play-doh :D

This chart has some info that might prove useful. 550/3522 has had the reputation for being the most versatile of the Belgians. Note how you can tweak the flavor profile for your different styles via the fermentation temperature.

So maybe medium temperature for the wit, high for the abbey, and low or medium for the tripel?

Attachments

• belgianchart_0.pdf
    44.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
That chart is slick. Very helpful.

My Brewyear's resolution is to use fewer grains, hops, and yeasts so I can master a few. I've got a 6 gallon bucket full of random specialty grains, 12 different hops, and 8 yeasts. Enough is enough.

I might just drop 530 and try to make cuts elsewhere. This is so hard!

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
To me, 3787 is as good a Belgian House yeast as you can get. Although a close second would probably be 3522.

Have you used it to make a Witbier?

I made something Witbier-ish a long time ago with it but now that I’m thinking of it, it was more like a Trappist Single.

I should amend my comment to say that 3787 would definitely be my go to for Trappist/Abbey beers and maybe use discretion for others. I’ve definitely made Imperial Stout with it that was good as well.

When I say Belgian I really mean Trappist, which is usually a distinction I make.

Last edited:
@Stand Try a chimay gold (doree). It's what I think of as a Trappist yeast version of a wit. It's pale, has some spice (probably bitter orange), and low bitterness but fermented with a trappist yeast. It's kind of similar to a wit, but kind of different. It's a different flavour profile, but similar style. You could also think of it as a spiced, low-hopped single.

This chart has some info that might prove useful.

That is a cool chart. Maybe off topic, but that chart tells me that despite generally accepted "knowledge," most Belgians shouldn't be fermented very warm at all. Mmm, sulphur and solvents! Of course, I learned that from RPIScotty a while back.

Back