1 week heff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petree3

Reaction score
I just found out there's a special event coming in 1 week and I've been asked to turn around a 5 gal batch of heff. Has anyone ever tried this before? What were your findings?

I assume you have the ability to keg? Bottling certainly wouldn't be an option in this case...

On second thought - I wouldn't commit to that time frame - you might be able to rush to make and keg a beer in a week, but without doing a test batch or two, I wouldn't want to make it and put my brewing reputation with friends/family on the line...

If you made a hefe today, you could keg it in about 8-9 days and it'd be good. Make it like 4.5% ABV...

I assume you have the ability to keg? Bottling certainly wouldn't be an option in this case...

On second thought - I wouldn't commit to that time frame - you might be able to rush to make and keg a beer in a week, but without doing a test batch or two, I wouldn't want to make it and put my brewing reputation with friends/family on the line...

This is a recipe I have done about 8 times so it's certainly not new to me. I know what it SHOULD taste like... my only real wonder is will it.

Anything above 64 with wlp300 you end up with way too many banana and clove flavors:ban:

That is subjective. I think anything under 68 or 70 could take an extra day or two.

I'm just spit ballin' but maybe you could aerate well and give it a good triple pitch to to try to counter act some yeast stress.

Or you could ferment at 64 and have a nice beer 10 - 14 days from now.

If you want these folks to have your best product, tell them that 1 week just won't cut it and that you'll be happy to do it next time as long as they give you at least 3 weeks, (better 4) lead time.

One week means you have to take a day to get a starter going, a day of lag time, a couple days of fermenting, a fast burst carb, etc. It won't be your best work and I wouldn't like to show off something that's not my best work.

I still say hefe is the one exception. It's best served fresh, like IPAs, but unlike IPAs, the yeast does not need to be dropped to have an ideal beer. I think if you manage the temp like I mentioned above, you will be drinking a great beer out of a keg on day 8-9. But, I've never used kegs. I remember trying my last hefe from one batch at 3 months in he bottle, and it had clearly deteriorated...

Latest posts

Back