1 Pound Hops IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarrat

Reaction score
I just winged this recipe.... just looking for some feed back

I think this might fall in the catagory IIPA..... not sure...

13 lbs 2 row
0.75 lbs pilsner
2 lbs munich

4oz Cascade at 60
1oz Northern Brewer at 60
2oz Cascade at 30
1oz Willamette at 30
2oz Cascade at 15
1oz Northern Brewer at 15
2oz Cascade at flame out
2oz Cascade and 1oz Willamette dry hop 7 days

1056 American Ale wyeast

5 ounces of bittering hops is way too much. There is a threshold that one can taste. I understand that much hops actually adds to the flavor and character but you might be better served reducing them and adding more to end of boil and to the dry hopping.

I find cascade to be a really terrible bittering hop because of its high cohumulone content. It is super harsh and not pleasant to my tastebuds. Honestly, if I were making a big bad-ass IPA I would go with lots of high alpha hops with lots of flavor and aroma over what you've got there. Not that there is anything wrong with those varietals... but for an almost DIPA I would get some hops with more umph - think warrior, columbus, centennial, simcoe, nugget etc.

I don't think IIPA would be correct. I believe HFSTW2MFHIMIPA is more appropriate.

Hahaha, for some reason I think that I was perfectly able to decode your acronym there.

And it's exactly the same one I would have used. If this is an attempt at Pliny the Elder, then it's a good start but the timings on those hop additions could use some work.

Back