1 PID 2 Element Switch Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsutton

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After wiring up a new panel with a selector switch to fire one of two elements at a time I took a few year hiatus from brewing. Today I am trying to figure out what I must have done wrong. I have a single PID and SSR and two contactors and 2 elements. The switch that selects which element is on is working in the off position but when selected to either element both elements are powered. Does anyone have any idea where I may have made a mistake.

Thanks!

You are going to need to give some more detail to get any real feedback. Some pictures or a schematic would be helpful.

The answer is most likely that you have both sides of the switch wired together, you have a short somewhere that is activating the contactors, or a short somewhere after the contactors.

Crap. I know it’s vague. I am at a loss because I wired it up so long ago. I think it’s possible that both sides of the switch may be wired together by a short jumper wire I have going from the bottom of one side to the top of the other that I assume powers the light in the switch because it goes to each of the switches.

339C95ED-44FD-4855-8F0C-9F48326E8B91.jpeg

That jumper you pictured is probably OK, can you grab a picture of the whole interior of the controller?

The part number on the switch would be helpful as well.

Last edited:
I think the jumper may be the problem. If you want a three way lighted switch, you need to have four switch blocks on the switch. Otherwise, you short the "important" outputs together, activating both contactors in either "on" position, which appears to be your issue.

Brew on :mug:

After wiring up a new panel with a selector switch to fire one of two elements at a time I took a few year hiatus from brewing. Today I am trying to figure out what I must have done wrong. I have a single PID and SSR and two contactors and 2 elements. The switch that selects which element is on is working in the off position but when selected to either element both elements are powered. Does anyone have any idea where I may have made a mistake.

Thanks!

I found it simpler to use the low-voltage selector between the PID output and the SSRs. IOW, I did not use any contactors when I built my 1 PID two element system. I realize your system is already built, but I just wanted to put in my 2 cents.

You could have the switch light up by adding two more NO switch blocks to the back of the switch, and using the added blocks to control the light. You could also add two discrete indicator lamps, one for each element (connected in parallel to the corresponding contactor coil), and you wouldn't end up with the contactor control wires connected together. I prefer the second option, as it tells you which element is enabled, whereas having the switch light up for either "on" position doesn't tell you which element is on.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back