• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

1 micron filters -Toledo, OH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griz419

Reaction score
Looking for 1 micron 10" filters that fit in the beer filtering/house filter housings. I'd buy 1 to 5 of them. If nobody has any extras they'd like to sell, I'll buy them online in a couple weeks.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks. I was hoping someone bought a ton and they don't need them anymore. If I don't hear anything in a week or so, I'll do that. Thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

"Further saving are provided because the 100% synthetic filter media is cleanable down to 5 micron."

It says it's only cleanable to 5 microns. I think for 1 micron and reusable, you need to use ceramic filters and those are a lot more expensive. If you still go this route, I hope you follow up with a review.

I'm curious the .35 micron works well enough to sterile filter. Visually, my meads look amazing after the 1 micron.

"Further saving are provided because the 100% synthetic filter media is cleanable down to 5 micron."

It says it's only cleanable to 5 microns. I think for 1 micron and reusable, you need to use ceramic filters and those are a lot more expensive. If you still go this route, I hope you follow up with a review.

I'm curious the .35 micron works well enough to sterile filter. Visually, my meads look amazing after the 1 micron.

You'll have to wait until summer for that review sadly :) I've got a year of post-grad to get through first. I would not depend on those to sterile filter; those filters are all nominal rated, with the exception of the single 1 micron absolute filter. (Nominal rating = ~70% filtration, absolute rating = 99.9% filtration....and even 99.9 doesn't meet sanitary specs)

I'll be doing some comparison testing of fining/filtering techniques this summer once I'm brewing. So far it's looking like:

filtration alone (no fining agents)
filtration + fining agents
fining alone (no filtration)

I'll be comparing clarity, flavor, yield, and cost of the above methods. Since you can only clean down to the 5 micrometer pore size, logically, the smaller pores will simply plug up permanently over time, and flow will drop to nothing eventually. My cost comparison will involve figuring out how many gallons of beer (with or without finings) it takes to render the filter unusable.

As for what you said about ceramic filters... this seems to fit that bill. Cleanable (apparently down to 1 micron? Doesn't say) and same size. $50...but damn: Rated 100% removal at 1 micron and an insane 99.9% at 0.5-0.8 micron. Rated to 2600 gallons as well. Granted that's for *water* filtration...probably a fraction of that for heavily sedimentary beer. Even at one tenth of that rating though, $50 for 260 gallons of beer filtration isn't bad....ok well it's $1 per 5 gallons...which is better than filter pads by far.

http://www.h2odistributors.com/w9220406.asp
http://www.h2odistributors.com/global/pdf/doulton_filter_performance.pdf

Edit: there's also a $35 model with narrower width. (2" vs 2.75") It has a 1000gal rating vs the 2600gal of the bigger one. Don't really know the reason for that difference.
Edit 2: holy quacamole, on the manufacturer site these things are rated to >90% filtration at 0.05 microns. That's as closed to sterile as you can get with a non-reactive filter I believe.

Back