1 litre starter impart too much flavour for an APA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaja

Reaction score
I pitched a 1L starter of 1056 into my APA without pouring off most of the beer on top. I pitched at high krausen about 24 hours later. Now the beer tastes pretty sour with bitterness and little hop aroma. It didn't show any sign of infection at all.

Im guessing I chose poorly for a light style of beer and should of let the starter ferment out and just pour the yeast slurry and hardly any of the starter wort.

Any experience on the above and techniques?

If your starter was infected your beer will be infected. With only a 1L starter you underpitched by almost a liter. How long has your beer been fermenting? I always pitch my entire starter. You don't have to but some people do. You also want to pitch your starter at high krausen, so good job there.

The starter should have been done with a similiar style DME to the final product such as a light or extra light DME. As long as you didn't use a darker DME you should be fine.

Other than that a 1L starter should be good for a standard APA, and pitching at high Krausen is fine. You can't tell much by tasting till at least after primary fermentation is done, and even then you'll just get an idea as it will change a good bit more in flavor during the cleanup and aging stages.

The bitterness is from the hops. Most hop aroma comes from the very late additions to the wort, say last 10 mins or so, or dry hopping.

Let the yeast have at it for a while, I'm sure it's fine.

Its been kegged already guys and gassed up. I've made this beer the last three times in a row for this keg so its easy to compare each batch and this one aint right. I'll give it a bit more time but it had already been cold conditioning in a cube post fermentation for a few weeks already.

Maybe I can save it a bit with some dry hopping in the keg with a hop ball and the bitterness subdues a little, but the beer tastes very very thin though. The bitterness is from the kit that provided that and the aroma was from the hop additions in both the boil with LDME and dry hopping in secondary.

The starter was done with LDME just as that used in the beer itself. The starter as I said looked good and smelt good.

And I would of thought 1L in an ale is fine based on the 5% rule for ales and 10% for lagers.

If there is a problem with it, it isn't tied to your 1L starter. Looks like that was a solid starter from what you describe.

So did you not make a starter the other 3 times you brewed this style?
Is there anything else you have changed in your process?

I'm thinking the starter as the other two times I simply used SO5. Everything else was the same, same ingredients, same temps(controlled temps in fermentation chamber) etc etc

Back