1 Gallon Cherry Mead Primary Fermentation Done in 12 Days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started a 1 gal. cherry mead on the 5th of May, and I just performed my second gravity reading of my cherry mead, and it went from 1.122 SpGr to 1.013 since then! However, the current smell is comparable to that of Lunchables meat, which is a bit worrying. Because of this, I was wondering if I had maybe done something wrong, or maybe if I had incorrectly read my SpGr. Additionally, what could I add now to improve the scent of my brew?

The ingredients I used:
2.1 lbs honey (it was a mix of what I had in the pantry)
Knudsen's tart cherry juice
2 bags black tea
zest from one lemon
1/2 packet Lalvin D47

I wouldn't call it "done" yet at 1.013. I cant speak to if you read the gravity incorrectly... (read it again) The last .013 could take a week or two. I have used D47 with TOSNA 2.0 and 3.0 with good results. Have pushed it at times to 21 days in primary with another 15 days in secondary but temps were kept at or near 62Deg F and followed the TOSNA nutrient protocol very closely.

What temp did you ferment at?
D47 can chew through honey and sugars from the juice pretty quickly if temps are pretty high during the ferment. D47 will throw off flavors (Fusels) if fermented too warm and without any nutrients to keep them healthy and happy early in the ferment. The good news is the flavors will likely age out. The not so good news is it might take a year or more to do so.

The best thing you can do for your Mead is let it finish. Rack from the lees and let it clean itself up for another 4 - 8 weeks and to allow it to clarify. Check it again and if still a little "funky" degas it. Then bottle it and let it sit for 9 months before you touch it again. You will likely be amazed how much it improves.

The off smell is from the yeast being stressed from the ferment, it should disappear with time/degassing.
Oh, what you made, if you didn’t know, is often referred to as “Vikings blood”

My last sour cherry had a bit of a lunch meat phase, that transitioned into flea collar. It was due to high temps and possible late (too late) nutrient addition. his 6 months in the secondary and I decided to bottle. Most of the off flavors aged out. The honey is coming up front and the cherry, while subtle, is quite nice. The bottles that make t to a full year, I suspect, will be quite good. Patience is the answer 90% of the time.

Latest posts

Back