1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday night has become my brew night. First: dinner with family. Then 15 mins to heat water, measure grains, and start mash. Then I have an hour and a half for other activities before it's time to boil, add hops, get yeast ready, prep fermenter, etc. Done by 11.

Yesterday was a 1 gallon experiment with vienna and a light and a dark crystal malt. OG 1.060, higher mash temp than usual, 22 IBU. Aiming for a stronger/sweeter "comfort beer" for the cold days ahead. We'll see.

The universe laughs at me again! :mad:

I've had enough of the keg with no bottom (aka the Tumbleweed) - seriously, I've been drinking it for the last few weeks and it had no end in sight. So, I figured today would be the last day and I'd pull the keg regardless. As a parting farewell, I thought I'd pour one last glass - it made it 3/4's of a glass and sputtered everywhere.

Ha. So THERE'S the end of the keg. Well, out with the empty and in with the Damphbier. 30sec later I have my LCA hooked up and pouring with the DB gassing up over the next few weeks.

Made this LCA a while ago, so of course the dryhop has faded out, but man is it tasty. Nice color, rocky head, and the wife loves it too. Looks like I've got another keeper recipe to move into permanent rotation. I can only imagine how good it would be with a solid dryhop.

:mug:

It is unacceptable for such an awesome thread to remain on the second page.

Who's brewing what?

Looking an an ESB and my beloved Pumpkin beer.....

Got a Belgian Strong Pale Ale coming in around 11%

Should be carbed up

Citra hop bomb just finished fermentation

Big ol' bourbon Barleywine coming up next.

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but i'm looking into 1 gallon batches as a way of growing up a yeast culture for a full 5 gallon batch.

The pros are that it gives me something far more tasty than a yeast starter to drink.

My primary concern is being able to pitch a single packet of dry yeast and have a potent slurry leftover, suitable for pitching in a 5 gallon batch. It is often said that any attempts to make a starter with dry yeast does nothing but depete the yeast's reserves? Would that be the case with a 1 gallon batch too?

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but i'm looking into 1 gallon batches as a way of growing up a yeast culture for a full 5 gallon batch.

The pros are that it gives me something far more tasty than a yeast starter to drink.

My primary concern is being able to pitch a single packet of dry yeast and have a potent slurry leftover, suitable for pitching in a 5 gallon batch. It is often said that any attempts to make a starter with dry yeast does nothing but depete the yeast's reserves? Would that be the case with a 1 gallon batch too?

I haven't used dry yeast in a while, but I have found that 1 vial of liquid yeast is actually necessary for 1 gallon batches with a decent OG. If its a little old, might even need more than 1 vial.

Go to Mr Malty and find an OG that will force you to use a vial or packet, brew that, then you should have a nice start to a 5 gallon.

I know I have read several on here talk about how reusing dry yeast is no different than liquid yeast post fermentation.

I am planning to do the same thing for a barley wine planned for this winter and hope it will be ready in fall 2015.

Dry Yeast FAQ

Reusing US-05 Thread

You should have a new batch of reproduced cells. I think over pitching (a full packet) might reduce reproduction. So you would grow as much.

It is unacceptable for such an awesome thread to remain on the second page.

Who's brewing what?

Looking an an ESB and my beloved Pumpkin beer.....

Thursday, I will be brewing a Belgian Dubbel! Looking forward to it, this will be my first usage of a liquid yeast.

So what method(s) do you use when bottling one gallon batches? I assume not using a bottling bucket due to loss of deadspace with a small batch or am I just wrong on that?

Nice! What yeast are you using? Which candi did you go with?

I am using White Labs WLP530.. The recipe is Jamil's Black Scapular Dubbel

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/beer-recipes-how-to-home-brew-dubbel#slide-10

When converting the recipe into BeerSmith, it says I only need about a third of the yeast in the pack.. Is that with direct pitch, do you think, or with a small starter? I converted that recipe into a 1.5 gallon. Because if I only need half the yeast, or if I need to make a starter I just so happen to have the ingredients to brew a Westvleteren 12 Quad, same yeast needed ;)

So what method(s) do you use when bottling one gallon batches? I assume not using a bottling bucket due to loss of deadspace with a small batch or am I just wrong on that?

2 gallon bottling bucket...I can tilt it towards the bottom and probably have 1/2 cup left over. I use this for my hydrometer reading and sample.

I am using White Labs WLP530.. The recipe is Jamil's Black Scapular Dubbel

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/beer-recipes-how-to-home-brew-dubbel#slide-10

When converting the recipe into BeerSmith, it says I only need about a third of the yeast in the pack.. Is that with direct pitch, do you think, or with a small starter? I converted that recipe into a 1.5 gallon. Because if I only need half the yeast, or if I need to make a starter I just so happen to have the ingredients to brew a Westvleteren 12 Quad, same yeast needed ;)

The veteran brewers claim you have to over pitch by something like 4 times the amount to cause a noticeable effect.

IMO go with the recommended amount since Belgians get some of the flavor from stressed yeast. Over pitching will reduce the yeast influenced part of the style.

Question for 1gallon batches. When doing all grain, are 2.4 L (2.5qts) of water for mash, then 3.8 L (4qts) for sparge the norm?

I was dead on with these numbers on my first batch, but had to top off with water on my second one.

Not an expert here, but if you varied your grain bill or boil time you will need to recalculate the total water volume.

2 gallon bottling bucket...I can tilt it towards the bottom and probably have 1/2 cup left over. I use this for my hydrometer reading and sample.

Did you buy one this size, or build it? I've seen one for sale at a nice price but the shipping is about the same cost so I'd rather just build one.. But I do not know what size hole to drill at the bottom.. And I would worry that because the circumference of a 2 gallon bucket is smaller and the curve greater than that of a 6 gallon bucket, that the little rubber seals that come with a standard spigot would leak because of a bad seal. So I am using a 6.5 gallon bucket for bottling.. WAY overkill.

Did you buy one this size, or build it? I've seen one for sale at a nice price but the shipping is about the same cost so I'd rather just build one.. But I do not know what size hole to drill at the bottom.. And I would worry that because the circumference of a 2 gallon bucket is smaller and the curve greater than that of a 6 gallon bucket, that the little rubber seals that come with a standard spigot would leak because of a bad seal. So I am using a 6.5 gallon bucket for bottling.. WAY overkill.

Usually a 1 inch hole. The gaskets are flat. Don't over tighten it though.

2gal bucket also for 1.5gal batches. Use a step bit to make the hole, and like Eric said don't overtighten.

If the round bucket bothers you, you can always get one of these:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cam...-with-midnight-blue-gradations/21418SFSP.html

If you look around you can find them on Amazon too, I bought mine with my induction plate to save on shipping. I think Cambro has an 8qt version for not too much - Amazon usually has a two pack, so you can get one for brewing and one for bottling!

I use a 18qt version of this for brewing, as it's easy to measure the wort for runnings, the pointed edges make pouring easy, and there's no question if it's food safe at temps under boiling. The flat walls would make punching a hole for the spigot easy. They come in all sizes, some tall, some short/fat so just find the one that works best for you.

I had originally got it for bottling my 3gal batches, but found it more useful on the brew day.

I actually bought one. For like 5 minutes there was a website called smallbatchhomebrew.com or something like that. Its been down now. But I liked that mine has markings for the amount in it all the way up the side.

Standard white 2 gallon bucket will work. Follow the instructions for a 5 gallon bucket. I have switched out the spigot for one I got at a homebrew store, no issues so don't worry about the bend. Place it as low as you can so you can get as much of the liquid as you can out before you even need to tilt it. Or make an elbow diptube. I have to hang mine off the side of the counter and over the dishwasher.

Same here with the dishwasher trick - I use an old three ring binder with some of that drawer liner that keeps things from sliding wrapped around it.

Any yeast that was accidentally racked in to the bottling bucket usually ends up in the down corner away from my pickup elbow.

So the Belgian Dubbel recipe I am brewing today requires the addition of Candi Syrup and beet sugar... But the recipe does not specify when they are added to the boil. I have seen in other Belgian recipes to add with ten minutes remaining.. Does that sound correct?

Sugars can be added anywhere in the boil, the longer they're in can effect the IBU, so when you run the recipe through BS see if there's a late addition option to check it against a normal addition. I don't think you'll have an issue with carmelization, but for really long boils you may see an increase in SRM.

Either way, make sure you stir it good when you add - just like LME it'll sink and scorch if you're not stirring!

Just wrapped up Belgian Brew Day! Everything went nice and smoothly... Overshot my OG by 5 points, hit 1.070 with a target of 1.065. Not worried about that though! The only issue came up at pitching time, when I noticed that my Pure O2 hose had mold in it... I had to cut the hose off, sanitize a new length and shoot it.

Must have had some moisture in the tubing? O2 is pretty harsh, much like straight CO2, things don't like hanging out in a pure O2 environment.

Either way, tubing's cheap - good that you caught it!

Neat recipe, looks sort of similar to Old Peculier. I bet it's going to be tasty!

Put those fuzzy ears on and get brewing!

:mug:

So got a surprise visit from a coworker dropped off 10 gal fermenters for free looks like some brewing is in my future
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1414380010.906264.jpg

It will have a color component, maybe give you a couple SRM tint, but Black Patent also has a bitter/acrid taste to it that may be present. You could sub in roast if you've got a little. It'd be one of those things I'd think about, but I wouldn't stop the recipe just because I didn't have it on hand or needed to but a minimum amount of something I wouldn't use a lot of.

My guess is that if you get your grains from a LHBS, they may just let you toss in a smidge with no charge. If you're ordering grain online, that won't be the case.

It will have a color component, maybe give you a couple SRM tint, but Black Patent also has a bitter/acrid taste to it that may be present. You could sub in roast if you've got a little. It'd be one of those things I'd think about, but I wouldn't stop the recipe just because I didn't have it on hand or needed to but a minimum amount of something I wouldn't use a lot of.

My guess is that if you get your grains from a LHBS, they may just let you toss in a smidge with no charge. If you're ordering grain online, that won't be the case.

Yeah, the LHBS didn't care much if I wanted to toss in a bit. Personally, even if it only added color, I'd still want it there, but I'm kind of a sucker for presentation. Like you said, it can have a bitter taste, which, in a gallon of beer, might come through a bit. This looks like it could come off as sweet, and the bittering hops are light, though, so that little bit of bitterness would provide some balance.

I'll probably get to this in a week or two. Tonight I'm bottling a gallon of Vienna/Saaz I brewed last weekend, and brewing an amber that'll go right onto the yeast cake.

Thanks to brewing I was able to pick up on a certain type of hop in revolutions unsessionable ipa for the first time was a pretty cool moment in my beer drinking history

ok, so how much irish moss are one gallon brewers adding, and how are you measuring it. I've seen Charlie Papazian says /1/4 tsp for 5 gallons, and OBK says 1 oz is enough for 100 gallons of beer, which means .01 oz per gallon, which is roughly .28 grams.

What are you guys adding, and how are you measuring such minute amounts.

ok, so how much irish moss are one gallon brewers adding, and how are you measuring it. I've seen Charlie Papazian says /1/4 tsp for 5 gallons, and OBK says 1 oz is enough for 100 gallons of beer, which means .01 oz per gallon, which is roughly .28 grams.

What are you guys adding, and how are you measuring such minute amounts.

My last 3 gallons batches, used .08 grams Irish moss (scaled weight from most of my 5 gal recipes)

Are you blessed with a fractional gram accurate scale? Mine only goes as low as 1 gram measurements.

Mines a cheapo from Amazon and measures tenths of a gram. As I have nothing to compare it to, I can't tell you how accurate is it tho. Let's just assume it is 100% accurate ;-P

Back