1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally bottled my dogfish head world wide stout clone got 10 bottles out of it finished out at 16% now the long long wait begins

Getting my buckets tonight, I thought they were 2.5 gal so I made my profile for a 2 gallon batch and 1.75 bottled to get me 10 - 22oz bottles.

Looks like I need to scale this down a bit more. What is the max I should ferment in 2 gallons? 1.5? 1.75?

Dudes!!! I should have posted this here earlier. Target 2.5 gallon Montana jar $20. I have just scaled back from 5 gallon batches. Wide mouth, silicon seal pre-vented. It's ready to go right off the shelf. The best 20 bucks I ever put into my brew gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ohiobeer - That's freakin' awesome. You're in for a treat when it's ready! :mug:

Getting my buckets tonight, I thought they were 2.5 gal so I made my profile for a 2 gallon batch and 1.75 bottled to get me 10 - 22oz bottles.

Looks like I need to scale this down a bit more. What is the max I should ferment in 2 gallons? 1.5? 1.75?

I've done 1.5gal in them with no issues at all (using dry yeast). Looking at the kruesen ring on the buckets, I'd think you might be able to squeeze 1.75gal in one without too much blow off (again, assuming dry yeast). If using liquid I'd tell you to have a blowoff line ready.

There's the glass jar above, of if you don't need it right away could get a couple Mr. Beer containers (2.5+gal) for cheap from Mr. Beer - those work well too with a couple mods.

Have fun!

:mug:

I am not spending $20 on a glass jar for 0.5 gallons more ;) This is for experimenting, not volume. I changed my profile to 1.7 batch and 1.55 bottling volume (9 bombers)

Home depot are a hole and a grommet away from being a fermenter for $6

If I can get my BIAB bag made I have a couple simple pale ale recipes to brew up this weekend to try and dial in the equipment profile in beersmith.

I am not spending $20 on a glass jar for 0.5 gallons more ;) This is for experimenting, not volume. I changed my profile to 1.7 batch and 1.55 bottling volume (9 bombers)

If I can get my BIAB bag made I have a couple simple pale ale recipes to brew up this weekend to try and dial in the equipment profile in beersmith.

For my first year brewing BIAB my fabric was just cut down to the correct size. No sewing required! :D
:mug:

Yeah I liked the 2gal buckets also. They're so easy to deal with, and you can just toss them in the dishwasher to clean them when your done.

The 5gal paint strainer bags are way oversized, but they hold up well - I think I got 6 months of hard use out of my first one. You get 2 in a package for like 4 bucks, same aisle as the 2gal buckets at HD/Lowes.

As a heads up - the 1gal paint strainer bags work awesome for a hop bag while boiling, just cloths pin it to the side of the pot, toss hops in during boil, and strain/remove when done. No hop debris to mess with!

1.9 just go easy on the yeast and have a blow off tube ready. I do 1.9 and wind up with about 1.8 to bottle and get 18.

1.9 just go easy on the yeast and have a blow off tube ready. I do 1.9 and wind up with about 1.8 to bottle and get 18.
Thanks, going to give a batch or two a try this weekend.

Got 3 buckets and sewed for the first time in decades. Made a BIAB bag. Turned out ok

image.jpg

Which buckets did you buy? I was looking online and did not see any food grade. I know some people say you have to have food grade and some do not bother.

I have some 1 gallon glass jugs that I acquired, but they are becoming a pain to clean out, they had wine in them and sat in a garage for years. I may just go the same route as you and make some buckets.

Which buckets did you buy? I was looking online and did not see any food grade. I know some people say you have to have food grade and some do not bother.

I have some 1 gallon glass jugs that I acquired, but they are becoming a pain to clean out, they had wine in them and sat in a garage for years. I may just go the same route as you and make some buckets.
2 gallon buckets in the paint section. #2 plastic. I have several of the 5 gallons I have only used for grain storage and they work great. $6 for the bucket/lid. I have not looked at what a typical beer bucket is as far as plastics rating. I am not too worried. 1 gallon was just too small for me personally. I can't justify only 10 - 12oz bottles.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-2-gal-Bucket-2GL-WHITE-PAIL/202264039

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-2-gal-Bucket-Lid-210655/202264036

Thanks, I will up my profile to that and see if it works. I have my boil off rate at only .15/hr and that seems low, but we are only talking 2.2 gallon boil. I guess I could do a test tonight with water and see what it is for my pot.

My two recopies I have are a marris otter SMaSH @ 1.064 and a Fresh Squeezed IPA clone at 1.069. Hope those aren't too high for this little head space. I will just go blow off from the start.

2 gallon buckets in the paint section. #2 plastic. I have several of the 5 gallons I have only used for grain storage and they work great. $6 for the bucket/lid. I have not looked at what a typical beer bucket is as far as plastics rating. I am not too worried. 1 gallon was just too small for me personally. I can't justify only 10 - 12oz bottles.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-2-gal-Bucket-2GL-WHITE-PAIL/202264039

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-2-gal-Bucket-Lid-210655/202264036

Thanks, I will go out and purchase a few today.

Just as a heads up, those lids crack real easily on the tabs after a couple removals.

I used a set of angle cutters and notched out the break tabs so that the lid came off nice, I think the lid lasted about 4 times before it finally tore/cracked at the tab. They're cheap enough, I'd just recommend picking up a spare while you're buying a couple.

30Bones - Sub in some S04 instead of US05 and you've got a great looking bitters there! US05 will work and be nice and clean, it'll just lack that "english" character. Fuggles is great; it's like an earthy, woodsy, spicy, English hop. A more sassy version of Willament, IMO.

Picked up ingredients for my Hornet ESB, gonna brew this weekend! WOO!!

I have one of those bucket lid openers (for lack of a better term), so maybe that will help. I bought it after fighting the 5 gallon HD bucket lids for grain storage. I almost ripped my fingertips off!

I have a packet of 05 in the fridge now I want to use soon as I don't have plans to brew 5 gallons until it gets warm again. Then again I will likely do several mini batches this winter so it might be put to use later. Thanks

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...gclid=CNbjzcWq-MECFaGPMgodRlsAYw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Plans were to half the 05 with this recipe I plan to also brew this weekend. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415907651.701491.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Need some advice about next step with an experimental brew....
So after having a Dunkel a few weeks ago I decided I really wanted to brew something similar. I used munich malt, carafa, hallertau hops, and san Fran lager yeast. The grains and hops were all to the specs of a Dunkel. Now thing is, I have been fermenting at 70-72F for 2 weeks and I know it's not the right yeast or the correct temp for that yeast to come through correctly...but it is an experiment ;) I want something similar to a Dunkel , ball park similar. After fermenting for 2 weeks it's really slowed down, what would you do next? Lager it in fridge for a few weeks ( and I do t have any temp control in fridge so it's just normal fridge temp)? Go right to bottle? Any tips or advice is appreciated :) thanks guys and gals.

Would it be crazy dumb to do a 1 gal batch in a 7.5 gal pot BIAB? Or should I just pony up and buy a smaller kettle?

Need some advice about next step with an experimental brew....
So after having a Dunkel a few weeks ago I decided I really wanted to brew something similar. I used munich malt, carafa, hallertau hops, and san Fran lager yeast. The grains and hops were all to the specs of a Dunkel. Now thing is, I have been fermenting at 70-72F for 2 weeks and I know it's not the right yeast or the correct temp for that yeast to come through correctly...but it is an experiment ;) I want something similar to a Dunkel , ball park similar. After fermenting for 2 weeks it's really slowed down, what would you do next? Lager it in fridge for a few weeks ( and I do t have any temp control in fridge so it's just normal fridge temp)? Go right to bottle? Any tips or advice is appreciated :) thanks guys and gals.

Once fermentation is done, most will do a D-rest for lagers - Cali lager (steam beer) is different, though, as it ferments hotter than usual lagers. Then bottle up, stick 'em in the fridge for a month or more. Longer the better. You can "lager" in fridge all bottled up with no problems.

Hard part will be waiting. :mug:

Once fermentation is done, most will do a D-rest for lagers - Cali lager (steam beer) is different, though, as it ferments hotter than usual lagers. Then bottle up, stick 'em in the fridge for a month or more. Longer the better. You can "lager" in fridge all bottled up with no problems.

Hard part will be waiting. :mug:

Thank you much! I shall go to bottle then! :)

I pilot my cockamamy ideas in 1 gallon batches.

Like the pros only smaller. This way I don't end up with 3 cases of imperial spinach extra special vanilla stout eisbock!

Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are! :ban:

UUmm, you don't have an actual recipe for that do you? :D

My oven only goes down to 170* :( I was hoping to do my mash the "set it and forget it" way.

My oven only goes down to 170* :( I was hoping to do my mash the "set it and forget it" way.

Thats actually perfect. Preheat your oven to 170, put mash in when it hits temp and turn off oven. You'll lose a few degrees of heat out your oven when you open it and it will slowly drop over an hour. My mash holds perfectly.

I got a new oven with a temp probe and a convection 170 setting. I literally keep my mash temp within 1 degree the entire time

what would you do next?

I'd dump it down the drain. You fermented a lager yeast at 70-72° F? That's too hot even for an ale yeast! It's going to taste awful, in my opinion.

That said, I know that's not the answer you were looking for, and you did concede that this is just an experiment, so in the interest of seeing it through, I would do one of two things. Option one, go straight to bottles, bottle-condition for 3 weeks at 75° F, then lager in the bottles in a fridge for 4-6 weeks. Option 2, if you've got the fridge space, I'd move the entire batch into the fridge to cold-crash, then a day or two later hit it with some gelatin (properly prepared) and give it a week to do its job, then bottle it, store at 75° F for 3 weeks to carb up, then store them all in the fridge, trying a bottle a week to see how the flavour evolves.

My oven only goes down to 170*

So does mine, so what? I preheat my oven to 170° F while I'm doughing in and stirring the mash. Once I've hit my target mash temperature, I put the cover on my pot, turn off the oven, and put the pot in.

The oven loses a little heat when I open the door, so it's not fully at 170°. And since it's off, it's never going to get any hotter. If my mash, the pot, is 150°, and the rest of the oven is 160-165°, the mash is not going to warm up appreciably. Certainly not before the enzymes finish doing their work converting the short-chain sugars and giving me a highly fermentable wort.

So does mine, so what? I preheat my oven to 170° F while I'm doughing in and stirring the mash. Once I've hit my target mash temperature, I put the cover on my pot, turn off the oven, and put the pot in.

The oven loses a little heat when I open the door, so it's not fully at 170°. And since it's off, it's never going to get any hotter. If my mash, the pot, is 150°, and the rest of the oven is 160-165°, the mash is not going to warm up appreciably. Certainly not before the enzymes finish doing their work converting the short-chain sugars and giving me a highly fermentable wort.

It takes time to get it up to the same temp as the oven. Think about roasting a piece of meat. I did a roast last night for 1.5 hours at 350, and the meat was at 165 when it finished. (I wish it had been a little lower, but I brined it, so it still stayed juicy!)

It takes time to get it up to the same temp as the oven. Think about roasting a piece of meat. I did a roast last night for 1.5 hours at 350, and the meat was at 165 when it finished. (I wish it had been a little lower, but I brined it, so it still stayed juicy!)

Exactly. And in the case of what we're talking about here (putting a pot of mash in the oven), we're actually turning the oven OFF before we even put the pot in, so the oven is cooling (albeit slowly) during the entire mash. It will impart very little heat into the mash itself, but on the other hand, will help the mash lose very little of its own heat over the course of an hour-long mash.

I was curious about what size kettle you guys use for one gallon. I have a 6 gallon stainless steel but am wondering if something smaller might work a bit better.

I was curious about what size kettle you guys use for one gallon. I have a 6 gallon stainless steel but am wondering if something smaller might work a bit better.
I am using a 4 gallon for a 1.75-2 gallon batch if that helps. Should be plenty big for a 3 gallon boil. I would think something 3 gallons or so would be ideal.

Latest posts

Back