1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never been this adventurous yet, but after a few more kits, I may start!

My lack of experience aside, since you have some more two-row, why not add that and make a two gallon batch that you split into two fermenters and try two different yeasts? That way you could use the WB-06 for fun!

That's the route I'd go - even if you stepped it up to a 1.5gal batch that's still an awful lot of roasted barley. Two gallons might cut it a little more evenly.

EricBW - Yeah, the neighbor's into those fancy sparkling water (CO2 infused artesian something from a pond in Italy or something), and he buys them by the case and gives me the empties. They'll hold pressure and are a true 1L, they're just green and not brown glass. That's a lot of beer for me to drink in an evening (and I don't drink that much), so I'm thinking I may need to stop down and get a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada and do some damage.

Hopsong - I use the 2Gal buckets, as I'm usually brewing 1.5Gal to make sure at the end of the whole fiasco I've got somewhere near a dozen 12oz bottles and a little extra for Murphy. I would like to see what's going in in there, though, so I've been looking at getting some food service 8qt transparent containers with lids instead of the white buckets. They cost a little more than the buckets, but they've got measurements already on them and are made from a different plastic than HDPE. I'll probably get a few to test out, but it's on the back burner for the moment.

Speaking of buckets, I need to grab a few more - bottling day approaches!

Anyone ever thought about using the 2.5gal mixing bucket from HD as a bottling bucket? It's graduated in both oz and mL, holds 10qt, is HDPE, and clear - beer's not going to be hanging out in it long, and I thought the measurements would be handy to have as you're doing bottles so you can get an idea of how much you need to adjust to fit the bottles you have...

I do as well. Temp control is crucial to not getting any blowoff. I used notty for the first time in a few years and forgot how violent it is. I still get 8-9 bottles minimum each brew. I usually put 1.1 gallons in the jug and don't get much blowoff if at all

Hmm, I temp control to +/- 2* F. Ferment at 64* w/ S-05 for my ales. That should be dang good.. and 1.1 g in a 1 g jug.. I know they hold a tad more.. but, that's even worse for accumulation of krausen?

I know it can be done.. but, at what cost (wort wise?)

Thanks for the response(s)

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use a beer kit for a 1 gallon batch, and just divide it by 5?

Would the rest of the kit keep? Could I just keep it in the fridge, if so, how long?

I'm exploring clarity ferm on the effects of gluten in beer, so reluctant to buy grains right now.

Workin' on a recipe - would like some feedback.

Red Headed Rye
Batch @1.5gal, calc'd at 1.057OG/1.011FG, 32ish IBU
Yeast: Notty, 5.5g
Grain:
2 Row - 2lb
Munich 10L - 7oz
Rye Malt - 7oz
Rye Flake - 7oz
Crystal 120L - 4oz

Hops: Chinook, 0.125oz; four additions at FWH/10/5/FO

Opinions? Still learning how to use this Brewtarget software - constantly learning new tricks with it...

Hmm, I temp control to +/- 2* F. Ferment at 64* w/ S-05 for my ales. That should be dang good.. and 1.1 g in a 1 g jug.. I know they hold a tad more.. but, that's even worse for accumulation of krausen?

I know it can be done.. but, at what cost (wort wise?)

Thanks for the response(s)

I don't quite understand what you are saying. Worse for accumulation? Cost wort wise? I fill the standard 1 gallon carboy to about 1/2 inch above the 1 gallon etching. The krausen usually rises to just before the neck straightens out. No lost wort, no krausen blockage. I got one cold crashing right now, maybe I'll snap a pick over the next few days and post it.

I don't quite understand what you are saying. Worse for accumulation? Cost wort wise? I fill the standard 1 gallon carboy to about 1/2 inch above the 1 gallon etching. The krausen usually rises to just before the neck straightens out. No lost wort, no krausen blockage. I got one cold crashing right now, maybe I'll snap a pick over the next few days and post it.

He's saying that the closer the wort is to the top, the more chance of losing it out the blowoff instead of it falling back down. We did a couple of crazy ciders that had blow off for 2 weeks. We definitely lost some.

I have had some batches just reach the top and fall back, but they were only 1 gallon, not 1.1. There is definitely room in those jugs for more than 1 gallon, though. Maybe lower temp keeps it in.

I haven't done one myself yet, but I have seen a half dozen pics of that Everyday IPA and they all have an insane amount of trub.

He's saying that the closer the wort is to the top, the more chance of losing it out the blowoff instead of it falling back down. We did a couple of crazy ciders that had blow off for 2 weeks. We definitely lost some.

I have had some batches just reach the top and fall back, but they were only 1 gallon, not 1.1. There is definitely room in those jugs for more than 1 gallon, though. Maybe lower temp keeps it in.

Ahh...thanks. Its definitely a temp thing. My basement is 58 all winter. Perfect for doing the 1.1 gallon and not worrying about it, especially with 05.

Even with Notty, the loss in a tiny fraction. I bet its less than .1 gallons, so I see it as a win-win. At worst, the blowoff will be around .1 and I'm back to 1 gallon

so i just ordered the brewers best 1 gallon starter kit and the BBS everyday IPA. this is an upgrade to my Mr. Beer kit that my wife got me last x-mas! only Sh!tty part is i now have to wait 5 more months to brew...:mad:

Anybody here brew one gallon AG batches using their five gallon equipment?

I'd like to do a bunch of single malt/single hop brews to get a good feel for the characteristics of a single grain and a single hop. However, I don't want to do this five gallons at a time. I think one gallon at a time would be just about perfect. I would be using a smaller kettle and smaller fermenters, but otherwise, my five gallon equipment. Just wondering if I'd run into problems doing it this way.

so i just ordered the brewers best 1 gallon starter kit and the BBS everyday IPA. this is an upgrade to my Mr. Beer kit that my wife got me last x-mas! only Sh!tty part is i now have to wait 5 more months to brew...:mad:

I'd keep that Mr Beer fermenter - that's an awesome size (2.4gal) for doing 1.5gal batches. I'm actually kicking around the thought of picking up a couple and moving on from the buckets because they're a deal at 10 bucks a piece right now.

max384 said:
Anybody here brew one gallon AG batches using their five gallon equipment? I'd like to do a bunch of single malt/single hop brews to get a good feel for the characteristics of a single grain and a single hop. However, I don't want to do this five gallons at a time. I think one gallon at a time would be just about perfect. I would be using a smaller kettle and smaller fermenters, but otherwise, my five gallon equipment. Just wondering if I'd run into problems doing it this way.

What's your equipment? I originally did 5 gallon partial boil extract kits WAY back and that's the pot I use now for 1-2 gallon batches. It's a 5 gallon pot. Works great. I have a 10 and 15 too but that's too big.

What's your equipment? I originally did 5 gallon partial boil extract kits WAY back and that's the pot I use now for 1-2 gallon batches. It's a 5 gallon pot. Works great. I have a 10 and 15 too but that's too big.

I use a 10 gallon converted cylindrical cooler for a mash/lauter tun with a copper manifold bottom. I use a 15 gallon brew kettle, but I have a 5 gallon kettle that I will use for these smaller batches. In actuality, my only concern is in the mash/lauter tun. I worry that I will have too much dead space and that my efficiency will suffer as a result.

max384 said:
Anybody here brew one gallon AG batches using their five gallon equipment?

I'd like to do a bunch of single malt/single hop brews to get a good feel for the characteristics of a single grain and a single hop. However, I don't want to do this five gallons at a time. I think one gallon at a time would be just about perfect. I would be using a smaller kettle and smaller fermenters, but otherwise, my five gallon equipment. Just wondering if I'd run into problems doing it this way.

What kind other equipment are you talking about? If you use a smaller kettle and fermenters, I think you have eliminated the two main concerns. Like someone said, it might be harder to maintain temp in a cooler MLT but only a little harder.

I just mash in a pot with a bag for 1 gallons. I use a cooler for 2+.

If you're used to mashing in a cooler, you could make a smaller MLT with a 2 gallon cooler if you wanted. I have thought about that. You wouldn't even have to add a spout, just do it in a bag in the cooler.

max384 said:
I use a 10 gallon converted cylindrical cooler for a mash/lauter tun with a copper manifold bottom. I use a 15 gallon brew kettle, but I have a 5 gallon kettle that I will use for these smaller batches. In actuality, my only concern is in the mash/lauter tun. I worry that I will have too much dead space and that my efficiency will suffer as a result.

What size is the MLT? You might want to overshoot the volume to compensate for the dead space.

max384 said:

I just re-read and saw the size. Duh.

I know the one thing I had to do with my 5gal cooler was to put a piece of tinfoil over the mash to keep the heat in. Not real sure how that'd go with the 10gal - that and the ratio of the grain bed would be a little off (if following the example from "How to Brew").

A 2gal cooler is pretty cheap, I'd probably grab one if you see yourself doing more 1gal batches.

In other news - rye is on hold, decided to brew an ESB. Grains ordered for pickup tonight, hope to brew this weekend!

(and bottle for that matter... why is brewing more fun?)

I'd keep that Mr Beer fermenter - that's an awesome size (2.4gal) for doing 1.5gal batches. I'm actually kicking around the thought of picking up a couple and moving on from the buckets because they're a deal at 10 bucks a piece right now.

i was thinking about using it was a "bottling bucket" because of the spigot for some brews and also a primary or secondary depending on size of batch for others. its just hard getting items over in italy.

Small batches people...toss it in the oven. Got a nice wide 2.5 gallon pot, hit the mash temp. Throw it in a warmed oven. Holds perfectly. You could probably fit a 2 gallon cooler in there as well...nothing will melt as long as you preheat to warm (170) then turn it off as you put the cooler in the oven.

Never been this adventurous yet, but after a few more kits, I may start!

My lack of experience aside, since you have some more two-row, why not add that and make a two gallon batch that you split into two fermenters and try two different yeasts? That way you could use the WB-06 for fun!

OK, here's what I did with my messed up stout grain bill.

2 lb 2-row
.4 lb flaked barley
.4 lb roast barley
.2 lb chocolate malt
.25 lb sugar (to hit OG)

1.1 oz Willamette pellets (4%)

Mashed in 1 gallon at 152-53 for 60 minutes (that's 1.33qt per pound)
Sparged with 2 gallons at 174
Boiled almost 3 gallons for 60

I had to top up with about a quart total.

Then I split the wort into two 1 gallon jugs.
A: 3g S-04 - aerated by splashing and shaking
B: 2g WB-06 - no aeration

I deliberately pitched the WB-06 low and didn't aerate in an attempt to coax more banana and bubblegum esters out of it. Not sure if it will work, but I want to avoid the clove and spiciness. Trying to keep it warm, too, since I read that can help.

Fermenting the S-04 at 60 degrees.

This still tasted very roasty, but maybe it will be interesting anyway.

What kind other equipment are you talking about? If you use a smaller kettle and fermenters, I think you have eliminated the two main concerns. Like someone said, it might be harder to maintain temp in a cooler MLT but only a little harder.

I just mash in a pot with a bag for 1 gallons. I use a cooler for 2+.

If you're used to mashing in a cooler, you could make a smaller MLT with a 2 gallon cooler if you wanted. I have thought about that. You wouldn't even have to add a spout, just do it in a bag in the cooler.

I hadn't thought about maintaining temps as a problem. I don't plan to make 1 gallon batches a normal thing, so I probably won't make a 2 gallon MLT.

I know the one thing I had to do with my 5gal cooler was to put a piece of tinfoil over the mash to keep the heat in. Not real sure how that'd go with the 10gal - that and the ratio of the grain bed would be a little off (if following the example from "How to Brew").

A 2gal cooler is pretty cheap, I'd probably grab one if you see yourself doing more 1gal batches.

In other news - rye is on hold, decided to brew an ESB. Grains ordered for pickup tonight, hope to brew this weekend!

(and bottle for that matter... why is brewing more fun?)

Thanks for the tip!

Small batches people...toss it in the oven. Got a nice wide 2.5 gallon pot, hit the mash temp. Throw it in a warmed oven. Holds perfectly. You could probably fit a 2 gallon cooler in there as well...nothing will melt as long as you preheat to warm (170) then turn it off as you put the cooler in the oven.

If your pot fits and your oven is steady (I found I had to turn mine on after 30min, it started to cool down), this really is the way to go for true 1gal batches, and really starts to shine if you're doing any kind of BIAB. Everything's contained and it's sort of set/forget.

That said, I'm really glad I got the 5gal cooler - and wish I'd gotten it sooner. :ban:

Can't drink today (call), so brewing is the next best thing. There's still room on the shelf, but I'm going to be busy bottling in 4 weeks. Made the SWMBO another variation of Apfelwien, now with more carmel and just a hint of allspice (like two corns - lol). Those Indian Summer bottles are so easy to work with, and fit a #9 stopper perfectly.

Playing around with Hop Tea, gonna do something stupid during bottling I think....

Does two, 1-gallons count?

20131214_sourelderberrystout-61618.jpg

max384 said:

10 gallon cooler will be too big but I can hold temps with just blankets or towels.

Weezy said:
Does two, 1-gallons count?

Sweet! Love the little oak barrel!

I figured posting in this thread would be more appropriate than starting a brand new thread. I have some left over specialty grains, a few older bags of hops, and a 5 gallon batch almost ready for the keg. Over the past few days I have become fixated on doing a SMaSH with the yeast cake and my 'left-overs'. The problem is that I only have 9.5oz of crushed specialty malt left :D.

After playing around in BeerSmith a bit I have determined that I should be able to do a 0.25 gallon (2 pint) batch size with a 20-30 minute boil. I will just increase the hops to up the bitterness since such a small boil will require next to no hops, we are talking tenths of an ounce here.

The specialty grains I have left are Weyermann Abbey Malt. You can do up to 50% of a grain bill with these, but since the diastatic power is so low they really should be with a powerful base malt to convert well. The site says they do convert on their own, just not very well. For my mash I think I am going to try and get max efficiency with the 3 rests method I have read about a few times to try and convert as much starches as possible.

I want to split this batch into 2 fermenters, and use different hops in each one to compare the two. I will be using 1 liter bottles as fermenters, 1 pint of wort per bottle which will bring the liquid about halfway up the bottle. The only problem is that I can't figure out how to have 2 different bittering hops without splitting the already tiny 0.25 gallon boil into 2 pots :(.

I want to pitch something like 1tsp of the yeast cake from my 5 gal batch into each 1 liter fermenter, and wash the rest. Since the grains are getting old and basically just left overs, and my hops haven't been stored exactly right and are about 1 year old I figured I would attempt to brew with these rather than have to throw them out. This is going to be a fun little experiment! I don't really expect anything even mediocre out of it, but what the hell right? :p I'd rather try to use my older stuff than trash them.
:tank:

There was one comment towards the beginning of this thread that really got me fixated on following through with this. Someone within the first 20 pages said something like "you think 1 gal batches are extreme, you should try the 1 pint challenge!". Ill probably keep a log and only make a new thread if it turns out. Wish me luck on my first SMaSH, hell wish me luck on my first all grain brew!
:drunk:

*Edit to Add Quote*
Is mocking 1 gallon brewers actually a thing? In 15 years, I've never seen someone upbraided simply for brewing smaller. Weird.

A Homebrew club I was in actually had a really fun competition - to brew one pint of beer, all grain. I have to tell you, it is a ton of fun devising a way to mash and boil in tiny quantities. I made a miniature 3 tier pyrex system, and scaled down a recipe that I had made many times. Turned out nearly identical to the 10 gallon version.

:mug:

Well, bottling night is in the books.

De-labeling, cleaning, and sanitizing wasn't so bad, only took an hour or two (mostly because I did two boxes(12 each) of 1L bottles at the same time as the 12pack).

Priming sugar thing was okay. Hop tea experiment was a near disaster, and now I know where all the trub in the pot comes from - pellets are a mess! I'll get a pack of leaf hops next time I think for the tea experiment.

Cleared a LOT more beer than I thought I would, I had it figured for a 12 pack, and actually cleared about 155oz even after a SNAFU with the siphon hose. That leads me to another gripe - vinyl tubing sucks &@*! Curled all over, broke siphon twice, minor spillage and general cursing everywhere. SWMBO even commented that I wasn't allowed to be mad at my chosen hobby, so I had an ice tea, regrouped, and finished.

Yeast cake was tiny compared to what I've seen on here - maybe a quarter inch tall across the bottom of the bucket. I was expecting a lot more. I did cold crash for 4 days, beer was translucent - no haze at all.

Bottling itself wasn't bad at all - used Revvy's guide and it went slick - SWMBO even handed me bottles and we were done in no time.

Things to get before next weekend (and the next session) - another 12 bottles, a dang autosiphon instead of my stupid home-job, and some tubing that doesn't act like a slinky just because the house is 70deg.

Anyone know if the silicon hi-temp tubing behaves itself? I'll spend the money - I was that mad. :D

ericbw said:
OK, here's what I did with my messed up stout grain bill. 2 lb 2-row .4 lb flaked barley .4 lb roast barley .2 lb chocolate malt .25 lb sugar (to hit OG) 1.1 oz Willamette pellets (4%) Mashed in 1 gallon at 152-53 for 60 minutes (that's 1.33qt per pound) Sparged with 2 gallons at 174 Boiled almost 3 gallons for 60 I had to top up with about a quart total. Then I split the wort into two 1 gallon jugs. A: 3g S-04 - aerated by splashing and shaking B: 2g WB-06 - no aeration I deliberately pitched the WB-06 low and didn't aerate in an attempt to coax more banana and bubblegum esters out of it. Not sure if it will work, but I want to avoid the clove and spiciness. Trying to keep it warm, too, since I read that can help. Fermenting the S-04 at 60 degrees. This still tasted very roasty, but maybe it will be interesting anyway.

This sounds like a fun experiment. Keep us posted please!

Bottling day two approaches.

This time I've got a new autosiphon, plenty of silicon hose (expense, but it's bendy and not a slinky - so I'm a happy camper so far), and a better handle on what's going on.

Was trying to decide what to do for a SMaSH next, and stumbled on a Vienna/NB smash that sounded tasty, so that'll be on deck for the fermenter when it opens up.

Still planning out the rye, I keep making small changes to the grain bill trying to keep it simple and still fit within the confines of standard amounts. May need to look at going to a mill so I can control exactly how much grain I need. That'll let me start buying in bulk also (cutting down on buying stuff every other week), and hopefully help with cost for a bit.

Anyone else brewing?

LabRatBrewer said:
Racked a gallon onto guava paste I made today from my tree. Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

What kind of beer? Sounds interesting with the guava!

As far as fruit goes... I have a dry stout fermenting, and when it's done I'm going to rack one gal of it onto some cherries (Oregon purée) and cacao nibs. Anyone have a good idea of how much of each I should use for one gal? Thanks...

What kind of beer? Sounds interesting with the guava!

As far as fruit goes... I have a dry stout fermenting, and when it's done I'm going to rack one gal of it onto some cherries (Oregon purée) and cacao nibs. Anyone have a good idea of how much of each I should use for one gal? Thanks...

I racked onto a small ipa (apa?) that I had not dry hooped yet. This wasn't planned. My tree got itself purned and I had to use the fruit.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

WOW! One week to bottle carb? That's quick! I sat on my first batch 3 weeks, and it'll be another week yet before I drink it (I'm already three recipies in). Is it "green"?

Love variety.

Huh. Maybe I'll try that with the next Smash I've got planned.

Bottling night 2 in the books. Autosiphon was a huge hit, silicon tubing was worth every penny. Was done in half the time, getting a system down to make things go faster.

Yield was just as good as batch 1 - just over a 12pack. This one was very grainy - now I know what happens with that much corn/rice in a brew. Lot of alcohol flavor, it might need to sit in the bottles for a while. Wish I had taken an OG reading, I'm curious to know what the effeciency of this one was. Seems a lot hotter than what the computer calculated it at 70%.

Now to start planning for the next one.

Latest posts

Back