1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, ok, I guess I'll try to improve my technique still a bit if there is hope. Perhaps if I just let it settle for a looong time... How long have you usually waited, divrguy?

Just got a box of new malts so I'm ready to experiment. I think I'll start with Common Room ESB from this forum and see if I could leave a bit less of the wort to my kettle. Last batch I eded up with more than a liter (I aim to have 4,5 liter batches) of wort after I had filtered it through some paper towels. Any ideas what to do with that? Carbonating and starters come to mind, but would there be any reason not to re-sanitize it and dump it to the fermenter?

Oh, and I just also got a refractometer cheap on ebay. Haven't yet gotten anything made with it to glass, but so far seems like an awesome toy. Easy to use and no need to waste wort for measuring, I think it's great.

What size brew kettle do you guys prefer for one gallon batches? Northern Brewer had a small two gallon kettle that they recommended for one gallon batches but the kettle is no longer in stock and they do not know when more will be available. Midwest Supplies has a two gallon kettle for $14.99, http://www.midwestsupplies.com/2-gallon-stainless-kettle.html. This looks like a good option, but I did find a cheap two gallon kettle at Walmart for $6.94 but the reviews are not very good and sounds like it is very thin, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-8-Quart-Stock-Pot/20713636. Do you think there is much difference between those two kettles, or should I look elsewhere?

riha said:
Hmm, ok, I guess I'll try to improve my technique still a bit if there is hope. Perhaps if I just let it settle for a looong time... How long have you usually waited, divrguy? Just got a box of new malts so I'm ready to experiment. I think I'll start with Common Room ESB from this forum and see if I could leave a bit less of the wort to my kettle. Last batch I eded up with more than a liter (I aim to have 4,5 liter batches) of wort after I had filtered it through some paper towels. Any ideas what to do with that? Carbonating and starters come to mind, but would there be any reason not to re-sanitize it and dump it to the fermenter? Oh, and I just also got a refractometer cheap on ebay. Haven't yet gotten anything made with it to glass, but so far seems like an awesome toy. Easy to use and no need to waste wort for measuring, I think it's great.
. I think the risk of contamination is high with paper towels unless you sanitize them with something like Starsan but either way I don't think its worth it. Experiments have shown that dumping everything in will not ruin your beer. Some people even preferred the taste when it was all dumped in. If I don't want to dump it all in I stir like crazy after it has cooled and let it sit about 5 minutes. Then pour into fermenter and should only have to leave a cup or two behind. Could also use a boiled or sanitized kitchen strainer to catch the gunk.

riha said:
Hmm, ok, I guess I'll try to improve my technique still a bit if there is hope. Perhaps if I just let it settle for a looong time... How long have you usually waited, divrguy? Just got a box of new malts so I'm ready to experiment. I think I'll start with Common Room ESB from this forum and see if I could leave a bit less of the wort to my kettle. Last batch I eded up with more than a liter (I aim to have 4,5 liter batches) of wort after I had filtered it through some paper towels. Any ideas what to do with that? Carbonating and starters come to mind, but would there be any reason not to re-sanitize it and dump it to the fermenter? Oh, and I just also got a refractometer cheap on ebay. Haven't yet gotten anything made with it to glass, but so far seems like an awesome toy. Easy to use and no need to waste wort for measuring, I think it's great.

Ya know honestly I'm a pretty relaxed brewer. I noticed more trub in one gallon batches so I bought 2 gallon buckets so I didn't have to worry about it. I really take this very lightly and try to have as much fun as a I can. If you can make an adjustment like that, my experience tells me to make it easier. I'm just that way! I still make 1 gallon batches of mead and wine... But rack into a strained primary. Strain out as much as i can and let it go. When I secondary... I strain into,a 3liter wine bottle. It all works in the end.

JMIES419 said:
What size brew kettle do you guys prefer for one gallon batches? Do you think there is much difference between those two kettles, or should I look elsewhere?

2 gallons is a good size for lots of things, including 1 gallon batches. I prefer to shop online for most things but for pots and pans, I like to be hands-on.

What size brew kettle do you guys prefer for one gallon batches? Northern Brewer had a small two gallon kettle that they recommended for one gallon batches but the kettle is no longer in stock and they do not know when more will be available. Midwest Supplies has a two gallon kettle for $14.99, http://www.midwestsupplies.com/2-gallon-stainless-kettle.html. This looks like a good option, but I did find a cheap two gallon kettle at Walmart for $6.94 but the reviews are not very good and sounds like it is very thin, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-8-Quart-Stock-Pot/20713636. Do you think there is much difference between those two kettles, or should I look elsewhere?

1gal boil or 1gal finished product?

Personally, after doing all the research and looking at the volumes/fluid expansion during boiling, I decided I wanted a pot that was at least 2-2.5 times the amount of fluid I was planning to boil. That way foam wouldn't be a problem, and if I needed to compensate with more starting volume for longer (90-120min) boils it wouldn't be an issue.

Because of that, I went stupidly to a 3gal pot right off the bat even though I routinely boil 2.34gal (notice how that math didn't end up right?) I SHOULD have gotten at least a 4.5gal. :smack:

Figuring you'll lose at least 3/4 of a gallon to evaporation per hour, with a 1gal boil you'll start with 1.75gal of fluid, before it expands from heating up to 212F. That's going to make a really full, hot, sticky, and foam prone situation in a 2gal pot (IMO).

Of course that's figuring for a finished boil volume of 1 gal. If you want more to account for trub loss and fermenter loss, your numbers go up (along with the need for a larger pot).

I am currently using the 7buck wallyworld stainless *cough-LIES-cough-plated at best-cough* pot. That may have worked out in my favor, as I won't feel bad when I ditch it for a larger pot. It's freaky thin, and will develope temper lines where it contacts the burner - mine's a electric coil stove. That said, it's a pot, it boils water, and it was cheap enough to play with to see if this hobby was for me. I'd get the wally pot, because if something doesn't work out you can just take it back and not be out shipping etc for a cheap pot.

*edit* just checked out the MW pot, it's the same pot for twice the cost, just different name.

YMMV, that's been my experience.

1gal boil or 1gal finished product?

Personally, after doing all the research and looking at the volumes/fluid expansion during boiling, I decided I wanted a pot that was at least 2-2.5 times the amount of fluid I was planning to boil. That way foam wouldn't be a problem, and if I needed to compensate with more starting volume for longer (90-120min) boils it wouldn't be an issue.

Because of that, I went stupidly to a 3gal pot right off the bat even though I routinely boil 2.34gal (notice how that math didn't end up right?) I SHOULD have gotten at least a 4.5gal. :smack:

Figuring you'll lose at least 3/4 of a gallon to evaporation per hour, with a 1gal boil you'll start with 1.75gal of fluid, before it expands from heating up to 212F. That's going to make a really full, hot, sticky, and foam prone situation in a 2gal pot (IMO).

Of course that's figuring for a finished boil volume of 1 gal. If you want more to account for trub loss and fermenter loss, your numbers go up (along with the need for a larger pot).

I am currently using the 7buck wallyworld stainless *cough-LIES-cough-plated at best-cough* pot. That may have worked out in my favor, as I won't feel bad when I ditch it for a larger pot. It's freaky thin, and will develope temper lines where it contacts the burner - mine's a electric coil stove. That said, it's a pot, it boils water, and it was cheap enough to play with to see if this hobby was for me. I'd get the wally pot, because if something doesn't work out you can just take it back and not be out shipping etc for a cheap pot.

*edit* just checked out the MW pot, it's the same pot for twice the cost, just different name.

YMMV, that's been my experience.

I was looking at 2 gallon kettles because that is the size that Northern Brewer recommended for their 1 gallon extract batch kit. The recipe for the kit that I was looking at ordering (Dead Ringer IPA) calls for a volume of 1.25 gallons of water to start and the total boil time is 45 minutes. I am assuming all of their 1 gallon extract kits call for the same, but some may differ. Either way, I only plan on using the pot right now to do the small 1 gallon extract kits from NB to see what I want to brew full 5 gallon batches of so I figured the 2 gallon would work. You said you have the Walmart kettle that I listed above? I figured for $7, it's worth a shot instead of ordering the $15 plus shipping.

By the way, not sure if it makes a difference or not but I am using a gas flame stove top to brew. I was concerned that the cheap, thin Walmart pot would burn the wort. Any advice on that front as well?

Ah, that makes more sense - NB's kit must be an extract kit? Reduced boil time works with extract, and makes your starting volume less. So yeah, a 2gal pot would work fine.

AFA the wally-pot, I've got some real interesting patterns in the bottom of mine from the coils, but I've yet to scorch the wort (I do AG). I also don't go with a roaring boil, either, just enough to shimmer/move the liquid. Just watch the surface and the temp and let it roll and you'll be fine. I firmly believe the pot is just plated, so make sure to clean it well and don't be afraid to be picky - I choose the best of 4 for mine, and it was the least dented.

I'm not interested in 5gal batches either, largest I'd chase down was 2.5gal (hence the desire for a 4gal pot). I don't drink enough or have friends that drink enough for that kind of volume. Plus I'm the guy that likes a different 6pack every week, so that's why I love small batch brewing.
:rockin:

Ah, that makes more sense - NB's kit must be an extract kit? Reduced boil time works with extract, and makes your starting volume less. So yeah, a 2gal pot would work fine.

AFA the wally-pot, I've got some real interesting patterns in the bottom of mine from the coils, but I've yet to scorch the wort (I do AG). I also don't go with a roaring boil, either, just enough to shimmer/move the liquid. Just watch the surface and the temp and let it roll and you'll be fine. I firmly believe the pot is just plated, so make sure to clean it well and don't be afraid to be picky - I choose the best of 4 for mine, and it was the least dented.

I'm not interested in 5gal batches either, largest I'd chase down was 2.5gal (hence the desire for a 4gal pot). I don't drink enough or have friends that drink enough for that kind of volume. Plus I'm the guy that likes a different 6pack every week, so that's why I love small batch brewing.
:rockin:

Different 6 pack every week kind of guy myself, I like variety. Yes, the NB 1 gallon kits are all extract and some have specialty grains that you steep at the start of the batch. For $7 I guess I can't go wrong with the Walmart kettle as long as it doesnt scortch or burn my wort.

OT, but my very first batch was the NB Cream Ale extract kit, which I did _5_ gallon batch with my 2 gallon pot. I wouldn't recommend it, but it turned out great. Extract is very forgiving.

I have indeed dumped everything in the past and gotten very drinkable brews. It's just that I have no head whatsoever and since I've covered all the usual suspects (or I think I am), I thought to try lessen the trub. I would definitely not use paper towel strained wort without sanitizing it and I agree it does seem like too much hassle. It's just that I'm cheap and wouldn't want to waste anything :) Oh well, let the experiments continue.

Riha -

On a whim (trying to figure out what kind of filter I actually need) I used some fiber milk filters that they stock down at the farm store. I'm not sure what micron they are, as they're ment to be used in an inline pressure filter, but let me tell you that thing caught EVERYTHING.

And that was the problem, it clogged up with particles in no time flat - I think I used three 11" sanitized filters and barely got through a gallon. Wort was a little clearer than usual, but honestly it just wasn't worth the effort and contamination risk of transfering the wort all over.

I had much better luck with rapidly cooling the wort after the boil and stirring to get all the trub/break material roughly in the center. Once I could see "clear" on the edges of the kettle, I siphoned from that side taking care not to move or disturb the "cloud" of debris hovering at the bottom.

That worked also, but was time consuming. I think I'm going to try a metal sieve this next time, I'd be happy with somewhere inbetween the two ends of the spectrum.

In other news -

Found a new thermometer for free at work, but it's in C not F. Not a huge deal, but I do find it amusing that I'm swapping between metric and english units all over the place.

Yeast/hops in grains, temps now in C, water volume in oz/gal, grain weigth in oz/pounds. OG/FG soon to be Brix/SG.

I'm a mess, at least time is constant.

Gents, how have you been! I still stop by and read this thread almost every week. Took on a life of its own.. Lol. Been experimenting with some small batch meads, wines, ciders, metheglins cysers etc. I promised the wife and daughter that I would try to find something they would like and in the mean time, I'm finding some of them aren't so bad.

DUDES... good to be back in the land of the one gallon, home batch, brewing, and off the "extended stay hotel" circuit.

i'm going to spend the weekend getting all my gear cleaned up, and getting re-acquainted with my brew-box... maybe next week (maybe even tomorrow), i can do a batch

Hello fellow one galloners! Been reading this thread for a while, very good info. Took some time to read it through (6 brews, I think). Anyway, I have been struggling with head retention, or the lack of it, and as a cure I am trying to get less trub to my primary. I'm doing 5 liter BIAB brews and previously I have just dumped everything in, break material and all, just sieving the hops out. After reading a BYO article "Fabulous Foam!" I decided to try to get rid of the trub as well. The big boys seem to be fond of whirlpooling but I have not managed to get any kind of success with it. So my question is, do you people whirlpool and have success with it? I'm trying to decide if I should try to improve my technique or just give up and try to figure another method of trub removal.

yes, i whirlpool (for more rapid cooling), and no i haven't got the "head retention" thing right yet.

the reason i whirlpool is that i sit the pot in ice, in the kitchen sink, give it a good stir, and it cools to 70 degrees in about 20 minutes. then i pour it off through a strainer, somewhat carefully, and the trub mostly stays out of the way.

just using the strainer is the best protection against a lot of gunk in the beer, though

i use a two gallon pot because it's what fits on the stove :)

it's the same two gallon pot i use for spaghetti, and this week turkey soup.

it's my old tried and true, 2 gallon stainless steel pot, i use for pretty much any darned thing

By the way, not sure if it makes a difference or not but I am using a gas flame stove top to brew. I was concerned that the cheap, thin Walmart pot would burn the wort. Any advice on that front as well?

not sure if it's the pot i remember, but the blue one at Walmart has a warning on it not to use it for long boils on the stove top.

THIS is a great pot. Certainly more than the $10 one mentioned above.. but, it's heavy duty.. triple clad bottom and is 5+ gallon and works fine for a 2.5 to 3Gallon batch if you keep your eye on things.

Hey Dads!

Saw your name many, many times in this post already - great to see you back! Can't wait to see what you're brewing now.

HopSong - Yeah, that pot does rock. I was looking at it tonight in wallyworld as I want to move up from my 3gal cheapo. I'm keeping an eye out at the thrift stores for a good 5+gal pot now, in addition to putting "hints" out to family members to see if they've got a lonely pot that needs a good home. If by after Christmas nothing's surfaced, I'll probably pick up that one.

My current 3gal is too small to play with long boil, HG beers at the moment. That needs to change! :D

Both fermenters were moved to the garage to cold crash over the weekend - this weather we've got will make that a quick process. Now I need to clean up some bottles!

What strike temp and quantity if water should I use to mash in 2.90lbs if grain? It is a dog fish head 60min ipa clone. I don't have beer smith as my subscription expired and I haven't renewed it. This is a 1 gallon batch. I'll e brewing in a couple hours... I am thinking mash in temp of around 156F is this a decent temperature to obtain a higher abv? Just Leo from the veterans this is only my 4th batch ever

GeorgiaMead said:
What strike temp and quantity if water should I use to mash in 2.90lbs if grain? It is a dog fish head 60min ipa clone. I don't have beer smith as my subscription expired and I haven't renewed it. This is a 1 gallon batch. I'll e brewing in a couple hours... I am thinking mash in temp of around 156F is this a decent temperature to obtain a higher abv? Just Leo from the veterans this is only my 4th batch ever

That is closer to the temp I would use for a brown, porter or stout. IPA's usually mash closer to 160F.

Yum dogfish head 60min clone

image-711681157.jpg

so I finally got around to brewing my $10 Brooklyn 1 Gallon IPA kit I scored from BevMo. I guess my boil off rate was more than the recipe called for. I didn't end up with a gallon after cooling. I ended up bottling 4- 12oz bottles and 1- 22oz bottle. I added 3 Habanero peppers into secondary for about 30 hours to kick it up a notch.

-=Jason=-

IMG_20131205_190402[1].jpg

I ended up with 7.5 bottles and a ton of trub.. sorta like your pic.. surprised the heck out of me. Now that IPA really looks dark.. Did you add other grains to it? Mine was very IPA-ish in color. This was my only 1g brew so far.. but, next time, I'm going to add extra water to account for the boil off. Maybe the hab's contributed to the boil off.. :D Them critters are prettttty dern hot.

I can now officially join this thread. I had no plans for 1 gallon brewing, but now that I do all grain, I sometimes have extra runnings I can't fit in the kettle.

I realized my first few batches of all grain left a lot of sugar behind with batch sparging, and I am now trying to make it more like fly sparging so I add water to wash out the grains. I usually end up maxing out my 9 gallon kettle with 1.020 or above left behind in the grains. I now just sparge until I run out of water or space and make a leftover all grain batch and mostly experiment with any extra ingredients I have.

So far I made a leftover Belgian IPA from my Tripel batch I was doing that came out pretty well hopped and was very dry. I used extra German hops I had lying around and dumped in a little Tripel yeast I used.

My leftover porter I added some cascade hops, chocolate powder, then threw in some bourbon oak cubes to try my hand at Bourbon flavoured beer.

This makes good use of leftover ingredients and allows for complete experimentation with wort that might have been tossed.

So far I have no complaints and have plenty of one gallon fermenter jugs to keep it going.

Made my first 1 gallon batch over the weekend. I used the 5 gallon Dead Ringer IPA recipe from Northern Brewer, divided it by 5 and then bought the ingredients at the LHBS. First time I've had to use a blowoff tube as I usually brew 2.5 gallons in a 6 gallon tub. Also the first time I actually get to watch the beer ferment. Fun!

I bottled this batch over the weekend. What a clusterflock. I bottled my first JAOM beforehand :drunk: and almost forgot to add the priming sugar to this one. Then the dip tube got turned upside down in the bucket and I couldn't get it right. Finally the bottling wand stopped working after five bottles and I had to fill the last three in a really halfbaked (and I'm sure oxidizing) fashion. Still, it got done. Hopefully the first five beers will taste decent.

And I've got another gallon batch of the stuff two weeks out so hopefully that bottling session will go smoother.

I ended up with 7.5 bottles and a ton of trub.. sorta like your pic.. surprised the heck out of me. Now that IPA really looks dark.. Did you add other grains to it? Mine was very IPA-ish in color. This was my only 1g brew so far.. but, next time, I'm going to add extra water to account for the boil off. Maybe the hab's contributed to the boil off.. :D Them critters are prettttty dern hot.

its actually lighter than it appears in that photo above.

here's the sample I took after I added the Habs, and man was it freaking delicious.

-=Jason=-

IMG_20131206_232218[1].jpg

Flomaster said:
so I finally got around to brewing my $10 Brooklyn 1 Gallon IPA kit I scored from BevMo. I guess my boil off rate was more than the recipe called for. I didn't end up with a gallon after cooling. I ended up bottling 4- 12oz bottles and 1- 22oz bottle. I added 3 Habanero peppers into secondary for about 30 hours to kick it up a notch.

-=Jason=-

You can top off, unless your gravity is right on. Although I don't think Brooklyn directions include OG/FG. In the book they don't.

Flomaster - man that looks tasty! Sweet hab's in beer? That'd kick the ol' heartburn in. :D

New kettle sourced fo' free.

SWMBO has shown remarkable patience with my new hobby - I think she likes the fact that the kitchen is spotless after a session. Either way, since she's encouraging this madness, I made her a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein (one gallon, in the factory jug no less). Should be done here in 4 weeks or so.

Well, bottling day is here. I'm quietly dreading it. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do - I've got a bunch of 1L bottles ready to go, but I'd rather find some 500mL's to put the brew in instead.

Should I invest the 15 bucks in a capper and use the 1Ler's, get the capper anyway and try to find some 500mL ones, or just stop down to the LHBS and pick up some of the Mr. Beer screwtop PET jobs? What says the collective of 1Gal Brewers?

(SWMBO doesn't know it yet, but I'm try to squirrel money away for the 2.5gal Keg kit from homebrew.org :D )

Flomaster - man that looks tasty! Sweet hab's in beer? That'd kick the ol' heartburn in. :D

SWMBO has shown remarkable patience with my new hobby - I think she likes the fact that the kitchen is spotless after a session. Either way, since she's encouraging this madness, I made her a batch of EdWort's Apfelwein (one gallon, in the factory jug no less). Should be done here in 4 weeks or so.

Well, bottling day is here. I'm quietly dreading it. Trying to figure out what I'm going to do - I've got a bunch of 1L bottles ready to go, but I'd rather find some 500mL's to put the brew in instead.

Should I invest the 15 bucks in a capper and use the 1Ler's, get the capper anyway and try to find some 500mL ones, or just stop down to the LHBS and pick up some of the Mr. Beer screwtop PET jobs? What says the collective of 1Gal Brewers?

(SWMBO doesn't know it yet, but I'm try to squirrel money away for the 2.5gal Keg kit from homebrew.org :D )

I started with 16oz swingtops for the convenience and speed. I like 12 oz now that give a few out to friends and brew buddies. Got a 2-gallon bottling bucket and wand. I find bottling relaxing so its up to you.

The capper will be useful for a long time. Get that.

You have 1 liter glass bottles that take a regular cap? If you have time and/or drinking friends, you could save some bottles, too. Then you'd have a variety of 1 liters and 12 oz or some other sizes.

The Mr. Beer bottles are great if you don't give it away (or if you can trust that you'll get it back empty), otherwise, it is expensive. I think they now make 12 oz PET bottles, not just the 1 liter.

Also, if you're a soda drinker, I've seen A&W root beer in brown PET bottles. 1 liter and smaller.

OK, I totally spaced yesterday at the store, and ended up with a screwed up bag of grains. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I will be sure not to think next time. I think they adjusted their mill recently, because my last batch had terrible efficiency. This time I double milled it to try to do better.

My intention was a dry stout, but I think I overdid the roasted barley. Here's what I have:

1.5 lb 2-row
.4 lb Roasted barley
.2 lb chocolate malt
.4 lb flaked barley (in a separate bag)

It looks like I would end up with about 6% ABV with this, but that's a lot of roasted barley in a gallon.

I was planning on using Willamette pellets at 60 as the only hops.

I can't take anything away except the flaked barley. I have some miscellaneous ingredients that I could add: half pound of homemade amber candi sugar; half pound of 2-row; some C40L; honey. I also have miscellaneous hops: Summit, Willamette, Cascade, Saaz, Hallertau, maybe a small amount of Fuggles or EKG.

Should I...

1. Brew it like it is.

2. Make a larger batch (1.5 gallons), which would be more in line with the dry stout I wanted (although maybe still heavy on the RB)?

3. Raise the gravity even more for a pretty harsh imperial stout/porter?

(4. Throw it out and start over. Seems like a waste of $5, but only $5.)

All three seem like interesting options, since I will have to start from scratch for the simple dry stout I was planning anyway.

Also, I have S-04 and US-05. I was thinking of getting WLP004 Irish to do it right, but not for this one. (I also have WB-06 hefeweizen, but that might be too experimental?)

Not a 1 gal brewer, as of yet, but totally understand all the various rationales. I've yet to make anything that I (or most folks) would consider undrinkable, but may get a few 1 gal jugs to experiment with some offbeat meads ..... it's all good, ya do what ya do within the constraints of yer situation....time, money, space, whatever. One galloner folks are fine in this 5 galloner's book :cool:

Do any of you actually ferment in 1g jugs? I've only done this once.. it was just the Everyday IPA and the krausen was big enough, and the trub was big enough that I didn't get what I think I should have in volume. I'm going to do my next one in a 2g bucket I picked up from the local bakery.. then rack into the 1g. Thought is that if I sparge a bit extra and boil down to 1.3 g, ferment in the bucket, rack off the trub.. I should end up with much closer to a 1g bottling.

Do any of you actually ferment in 1g jugs? I've only done this once.. it was just the Everyday IPA and the krausen was big enough, and the trub was big enough that I didn't get what I think I should have in volume. I'm going to do my next one in a 2g bucket I picked up from the local bakery.. then rack into the 1g. Thought is that if I sparge a bit extra and boil down to 1.3 g, ferment in the bucket, rack off the trub.. I should end up with much closer to a 1g bottling.

I do, and you can lose some volume from blowoff. In general, I prefer the glass jug because you can see what's happening (fermenting, clearing, etc.).

I do as well. Temp control is crucial to not getting any blowoff. I used notty for the first time in a few years and forgot how violent it is. I still get 8-9 bottles minimum each brew. I usually put 1.1 gallons in the jug and don't get much blowoff if at all

ericbw said:
OK, I totally spaced yesterday at the store, and ended up with a screwed up bag of grains. I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I will be sure not to think next time. I think they adjusted their mill recently, because my last batch had terrible efficiency. This time I double milled it to try to do better. My intention was a dry stout, but I think I overdid the roasted barley. Here's what I have: 1.5 lb 2-row .4 lb Roasted barley .2 lb chocolate malt .4 lb flaked barley (in a separate bag) It looks like I would end up with about 6% ABV with this, but that's a lot of roasted barley in a gallon. I was planning on using Willamette pellets at 60 as the only hops. I can't take anything away except the flaked barley. I have some miscellaneous ingredients that I could add: half pound of homemade amber candi sugar; half pound of 2-row; some C40L; honey. I also have miscellaneous hops: Summit, Willamette, Cascade, Saaz, Hallertau, maybe a small amount of Fuggles or EKG. Should I... 1. Brew it like it is. 2. Make a larger batch (1.5 gallons), which would be more in line with the dry stout I wanted (although maybe still heavy on the RB)? 3. Raise the gravity even more for a pretty harsh imperial stout/porter? (4. Throw it out and start over. Seems like a waste of $5, but only $5.) All three seem like interesting options, since I will have to start from scratch for the simple dry stout I was planning anyway. Also, I have S-04 and US-05. I was thinking of getting WLP004 Irish to do it right, but not for this one. (I also have WB-06 hefeweizen, but that might be too experimental?)

Never been this adventurous yet, but after a few more kits, I may start!

My lack of experience aside, since you have some more two-row, why not add that and make a two gallon batch that you split into two fermenters and try two different yeasts? That way you could use the WB-06 for fun!

Never been this adventurous yet, but after a few more kits, I may start!

My lack of experience aside, since you have some more two-row, why not add that and make a two gallon batch that you split into two fermenters and try two different yeasts? That way you could use the WB-06 for fun!

That's a good idea. I have two empty jugs to use. That would allow me to dilute the roast barley some and end up with two batches from one boil. I think I will do this!

Back