1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheesecake said:
Barley Wine
American Barleywine
Type: All Grain Date: 11/1/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 1.00 gal Brewer:
Boil Size: 1.54 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: BIAB 1 Gallon
End of Boil Volume 1.04 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 1.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 72.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs 7.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.7 %
2.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.6 %
2.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
0.6 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 0.9 %
0.6 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 0.9 %
2.6 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 4.2 %
7.93 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 62.5 IBUs
6.99 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
6.99 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
4.66 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
0.2 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 11 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.106 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 11.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 62.5 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 18.9 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: BIAB, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 3 lbs 15.5 oz
Sparge Water: 0.00 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.1 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 7.27 qt of water at 165.8 F 156.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge Step: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Mash Notes: Brew in a bag method where the full boil volume is mashed within the boil vessel and then the grains are withdrawn at the end of the mash. No active sparging is required. This is a full body beer profile.
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 22.27 g Carbonation Used: Bottle with 22.27 g Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

If its even possible, explain to me what a barley wine tastes like? I've never tried one but I would love to try a one gallon batch.

BigRock947 said:
I tried using my new Westin grain mill. A couple of tweaks and I was crushing grain.

Here's a half a pound of 2-Row crushed. I think I've got a SMaSH in my future for this weekend.

Awesome. I just got my corona clone working from discount tommy. First crush was a little light and my efficiency was right at 75% so I tightened it up an man my efficiency sky rocketed! Good score on the mill!!

Awesome. I just got my corona clone working from discount tommy. First crush was a little light and my efficiency was right at 75% so I tightened it up an man my efficiency sky rocketed! Good score on the mill!!

I just pulled my corona out of the garage i bought it and never used it. Time to get it working so i can order grain uncrushed:rockin:

im down i enjoy brewing or watching other people brew and talking about brewing

I'll give it a few weeks to make sure I have my system dialed in before I get on that, but in the mean time anyone else want to do something like that? I usually brew Wednesday morning/afternoons though since that's when I am off work. Trying to build up the blog I started and this sounds like a really cool idea that would be a good addition.

I'll give it a few weeks to make sure I have my system dialed in before I get on that, but in the mean time anyone else want to do something like that? I usually brew Wednesday morning/afternoons though since that's when I am off work. Trying to build up the blog I started and this sounds like a really cool idea that would be a good addition.

work owns me on wed morning

another advantage to small batch brewing. We can lager in our regular fridge. MR. beer kegs fit darn near perfect, as dose my 2 gal bucket. Now I have another one to add to the list

How do most of you bottle your 1 gallon batches? I've had a few ideas but just trying to figure out which one makes the most sense

Wow...I take three days off and there is like 200 posts. I bought the 2 gallon bottling bucket from smallbatchbrewing (I think thats the site) and it works great. It can hold a little over 2 gallons so I can bottle a double batch if I do one, which does happen from time to time. It leaves like 4-6 ozs in the bucket but I like it.

I'll be brewing my Pomona Ale next week and will take pics. I figure with one last tweak I should really have this one nailed down...its a hop bomb folks.

Leadgolem said:
I just got the shipping confirmation for my grain mill. This is the one I ordered, if anyone is interested.

That looks very similar to the one I just received. Mine has a cast cover plate to keep the grain from flying. Well at least flying too far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks. I've got visions of bulk grains dancing in my head. I'll probably use the hand crank for now because the small amount of grains needed for 1 gallon batches won't take long to crush.

Usually really thick and malty with alot of alcohol in it. As they age they get really smooth with a huge mouthfeel. Think of an Imperial Stout without the roast.

I was always intimidated by the size of the grain bill for Barley Wines. I'm going to give this recipe a try. I've heard that Barley Wines need a year to mature. Is that true?

BigRock947 said:
I was always intimidated by the size of the grain bill for Barley Wines. I'm going to give this recipe a try. I've heard that Barley Wines need a year to mature. Is that true?

They get better with age but I usually can't help myself. I love the really hoppy American barley wines so I tend to drink them fresh, but aged they become outstanding. I do have a bottle of old foghorn from 04 that someone gave me, can't wait for that one to open.

Oh, sweet irony! All yesterday, I had the thought "I should just pop over to the lhbs and finally buy all the gear I need to start brewing." But I didn't, because I have some questions I want to ask them and my schedule was a bit tight. So instead, I consoled myself with the thought of getting up nice and early and making a point to go get my stuff and spend some time chatting with the employees once I got there. Except....they're freakin' CLOSED today!! :smack:

I know, it's not the end of the world but dammit, I was all psyched for it. Now I gotta stay home and do boring stuff, like study and laundry. :(

You know, when I said questions I mostly meant "shoot the ****", haha. I don't have anything specifically bewildering me at the moment, but I always come up with stuff, especially if I'm wandering around a shop full of neat gadgets and fun ingredients, you know?

Oh! well actually, I do have a question: For those of you who use the BIAB method for your 1-gallon brews - how large of a pot are you working with? I have a nice stock pot, but it only holds a little over a gallon, and that's with the pot filled pretty close to the rim. I'm probably going to have to buy another pot, but I don't want to spend cash I don't have right now for something I'm not going to use in the forseeable future.

You know, when I said questions I mostly meant "shoot the ****", haha. I don't have anything specifically bewildering me at the moment, but I always come up with stuff, especially if I'm wandering around a shop full of neat gadgets and fun ingredients, you know?

Oh! well actually, I do have a question: For those of you who use the BIAB method for your 1-gallon brews - how large of a pot are you working with? I have a nice stock pot, but it only holds a little over a gallon, and that's with the pot filled pretty close to the rim. I'm probably going to have to buy another pot, but I don't want to spend cash I don't have right now for something I'm not going to use in the forseeable future.

I have a 16 quart stock pot but I was brewing bigger batches when I got it plus I'm a messy brewer so i like the extra room. I would recommend a 12 quart pot if you want to do full volume BIAB.

A 8 quart pot could work if you BIAB and dunk sparge in your 4 quart pot. 8 quarts won't leave you much room but can be done. IMHO

Good deal. I was looking at a 16 qt. SS pot the other day at Walmart. I'll have to go back and pick it up soon. Thanks y'all.

Yeah, that's a possibility. However, a couple bottles quickly starts to eat into my drinking allotment. I may have to come to another trade agreement. :D

JollyIsTheRoger said:
Usually really thick and malty with alot of alcohol in it. As they age they get really smooth with a huge mouthfeel. Think of an Imperial Stout without the roast.

cheesecake said:
ill explain it like this....if its aged properly AMAZING

Great! Wow I love a good RIS/Stout so I will probably love a barleywine. Add that to my list! Thanks

Another big advantage of the small batch someone just mentioned was the space. Aging a premier beer for a year is a lot easier when it takes up less space and you have 5 other beers to pick from to prevent you from stealing a beer too early!, lol. Not that ever...always happens to me!

@ jwalk4@ I may have read the tag wrong, but I don't think so. I was under the impression that it was a tad bit overpriced - good to see my hunch was confirmed. ;) Looks like I'll be shopping around some more!

@BigRock: Yeah, I had that thought as well. I'm not sweating it, I'll find something suitable eventually.

Barley Wine

Beer Profile

Mash Profile

Okay. I get that there is estimated Gravity readings and actual readings but why are they so different? Is 1/4 of vial of yeast going to be enough for a Barley Wine?

Because I haven't brewed it I just scaled it. That is beersmiths number that was in there. Measured was just the default gravity in beersmith

cheesecake said:
My setup is boring its a cheap 5 gallon pot and a paint strainer bag.

Sounds perfect! That's one of my go to set ups!

cheesecake said:
Barley Wine
American Barleywine
Type: All Grain Date: 11/1/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 1.00 gal Brewer:
Boil Size: 1.54 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: BIAB 1 Gallon
End of Boil Volume 1.04 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 1.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 72.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs 7.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.7 %
2.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.6 %
2.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
0.6 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 0.9 %
0.6 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5 0.9 %
2.6 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 6 4.2 %
7.93 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 62.5 IBUs
6.99 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
6.99 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
4.66 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Mash Profile

Mash Name: BIAB, Full Body Total Grain Weight: 3 lbs 15.5 oz
Sparge Water: 0.00 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.1 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 7.27 qt of water at 165.8 F 156.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge Step: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Mash Notes: Brew in a bag method where the full boil volume is mashed within the boil vessel and then the grains are withdrawn at the end of the mash. No active sparging is required. This is a full body beer profile.
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 22.27 g Carbonation Used: Bottle with 22.27 g Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

Since this is in beersmith, is there any way to share a beersmith file through this board? If not, I was thinking we could post some good recipes and let others know in the beersmith cloud by putting something in front of the recipe that we would recognize. Like "1GU - barleywine" so we could find it. Save a little time putting it into beersmith? Anyone think that may be worth while? Just throwing out ideas....

Back