1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I actually just saw that Bells sells 2 gal buckets for like $4.50. I will probably buy a couple of these and brew 1.5gal batches this way I can still conduct small experiment batches and not worry about squeezing everything in to a 1gal jug.

Or do like I did. Go to your closest grocery store and ask someone in the bakery for any empty frosting buckets. I have free buckets in 2, 3, and 4 gallon sizes.

I'm tired of hearing all you big boy 5-Gallon brewers telling us 1-Gallon brewers to step up. :D A lot of us brew 1-Gallon batches because that's all we have room for right now, not because we're afraid of stepping up our game. Trust me, if I could, I would, but in the meantime I'm actually really feeling the 1-Gallon game. Here's why:

Brew Day takes me about 3-4 hours, which includes cleanup.

I know one of the main points from 5-Gallon brewers is that "if you brew something amazing, you only have 10 bottles of it." My response- "Yea? So?" If I brew something amazing, chances are I'll brew something else amazing, and then perhaps I'll go back and brew that amazing beer again. And again.

5-Gallon brewers are always so quick to tell me- "Why put all that work in for just 10 beers." I'm not sure about you guys, but I don't consider my brew days as "work." I'm an insurance underwriter by day, but thoroughly enjoy cooking and now, brewing. I love the processes, and feel that it actually calms me. So work? I think not...

And lastly, I love the fact that I always have new things coming out of my pipeline. Yea, I just finished up drinking a really great IPA kit, but as sad as I may be to see it go, I can't wait to crack open my Weinstephaner Dunkel clone next! I'd rather have a few of LOTS of things than 50 of the same thing for 3 weeks.

So to all you big boy 5-Gallon + brewers out there, don't be so quick to hate on us 1-Gallon brewers. While eventually we'll graduate to your status, in the meantime, we're totally feeling what we've got going right now, and it's just as enjoyable for us, as it is for you. :rockin:

*Disclaimer*
This thread is not meant to pick a fight or evoke negativity. It is simply in jest, although, steeped in believed truths

I am just preparing to getting into home brewing and have decided to take the 1 gallon path to start with. Available space, cooling control and volume of output (I'm not a large consumer) are all reasons for going this way. I'm starting to believe the 5 gallon people hate us "Oners". I have a home brew store close and with two visits, I finally had to get a little upset with their over-aggressive tactics in trying to tell me my choice was wrong. I believe retail stores are there to help customers and not drive them off!! Why can't they just accept your choice and provide help. I guess its because their store stock is all geared to 5 gallon brewers.:mad:

Question for all of you small batch brewers ...

I normally brew 3 gallon batches, but have decided to start doing a ton of 1 gallon batches so that I can learn the unique flavors of hops/malts better. I tried my first 1 gallon batch last night and everything was fine until i tried to rack the beer from the kettle in to my one gallon jug. due to the small volume, i could not get good separation from all of the trub and couldn't rack my beer in to the jug without all of the trub too. How do people get around this? how much wort do you aim to have after you have completed the boil?

I think part of my issue is that i was using my 7 gallon kettle, which has a large diameter and therefor the 1.25 gallons in it was very thin.

Racking from the kettle to the one gallon fermenting jug is optional with some of the instructions I've had come with the one gallon kits I've bought. Many of the stores that sell these one gallon all grain kits are trying to market to new brewers who are starting with essentially no equipment. So they try to keep it as basic as possible. No hot liquor tank, no mash tun, no wort chiller, no aeration wand etc...

A number of kitchen tools that you probably already have can take the place of bulky tools and equipment used to make 5 gallon batches.

I found that a standard 8 Quart pot, the kind you use to cook pasta, is ideal for the 1 gallon boil. You will probably fill it up to within a couple inches or so from the top. I'll rig a clamp on fan beside the stovetop in order to blow at the surface at the beginning of the boil and with hop additions in order to help keep the pot from boiling over.

After cooling the wort to room temperature, I use the mini auto siphon for these small batches, and put a rubber wedge under one side of the pot to tilt it to maximize the transfer.

If you aren't happy with the way your transfer is going or if it fails on you, you could also just strain it through a starsan sanitized piece of cheesecloth spread over a stainless steel strainer (also sanitized).

You will often fall short of extracting 1 gallon of wort, in which case you can top up with a little bit of distilled water (usually about half a cup) until you reach the bottom of the "1 Gallon" lettering etched into the glass jug.

It's a good idea to keep a few smaller bottles on hand, 250ml, so that you are able to bottle that last partial beer.

After racking to the bottling bucket, I sometimes dump the remaining trub/sediment at the bottom of the jug into a mason jar and then cold crash it for several hours. Especially if it something tasty like an IPA. Then extract the clear liquid from the top with a metal turkey baster, then drink it. Might as well get as much enjoyment as you can from this, given the work you put into it.

I was also thinking that you could probably use one of those newer electric kettles that allows you to heat water up to a specific temperature range, to prepare your mash and sparge water.

My issue wasn't creating a siphon, it was not picking up all of the trub so that I was only putting clear beer in to my fermenter.

Using the smaller pot size (8 quarts) will allow you to get better control when racking this smaller volume to your fermenter. I get the mini-autosiphon or racking cane set up with the pot sitting on an angle (propped up with the wedge, which could be something like an eraser or piece of small piece of rubber). Allowing some time for the sediment to settle to the bottom. Then after the transfer progresses from the tubing to the jug, I slowly move the tip of the cane to the optimal spot just above where the wort floats above the sediment. Then try to stop as soon as you reach the point where the clear wort has all been sucked up and the sediment is starting to get pulled up the tube. It just takes a little practice.

Not sure if you are cooling with a wort chiller or using the ice bath method. The wort chiller will help you make a clearer wort.

that sucks sounds like they were trying to make money instead of helping the customer.

I am just preparing to getting into home brewing and have decided to take the 1 gallon path to start with. Available space, cooling control and volume of output (I'm not a large consumer) are all reasons for going this way. I'm starting to believe the 5 gallon people hate us "Oners". I have a home brew store close and with two visits, I finally had to get a little upset with their over-aggressive tactics in trying to tell me my choice was wrong. I believe retail stores are there to help customers and not drive them off!! Why can't they just accept your choice and provide help. I guess its because their store stock is all geared to 5 gallon brewers.:mad:

More likely that they have the commonly held belief that 1 gallon batches aren't "worth the time" and so are trying to get you to "be happier" with the hobby by getting better return on your time.

I've done both large batches, (9G) and small (.75G), and am quite happy doing both. The ease of effort of doing small batches lets me turn out a nice variety in my pipeline without too much effort or occupied space. Now if I had a nice empty basement again, and room for a kegerator and a dedicated electric brew space I would probably be doing larger batches because I could afford the space and time. However atm, I'm limited and don't have room for several 5-8G fermenters to sit around the apartment.

I am a newbie with a simplistic question or two: I have a 1 gallon recipe from Northern Brewery. If I follow the instructions explicitly, there is no call for using a hydrometer. I am looking forward to future brewing and want to use/learn about the specific gravity of the process, so I am going to take readings, even though they might not be part of the process. Questions:
1. OG is taken at the point of cooled wort???
2. Boiling the 1.25 gallon wort, as they say to do, is going to remove quite a bit due to evaporation. Can anyone give me an idea of percentage that is lost, say for an hour of boiling???
3. Related to 2, if I remove some of the cooled wort for SG testing, on a 1 gallon recipe, then some more after fermentation for FG, I am taking quite a bit out of the 1 gallon wort. In reality, shouldn't I really be starting with more than 1.25 gal and how much???

OR

4. Should I be replacing the removed wort after testing, which seems like a high risk of contamination???

This newbie needs a few answers.

I am a newbie with a simplistic question or two: I have a 1 gallon recipe from Northern Brewery. If I follow the instructions explicitly, there is no call for using a hydrometer. I am looking forward to future brewing and want to use/learn about the specific gravity of the process, so I am going to take readings, even though they might not be part of the process. Questions:
2. Boiling the 1.25 gallon wort, as they say to do, is going to remove quite a bit due to evaporation. Can anyone give me an idea of percentage that is lost, say for an hour of boiling???
3. Related to 2, if I remove some of the cooled wort for SG testing, on a 1 gallon recipe, then some more after fermentation for FG, I am taking quite a bit out of the 1 gallon wort. In reality, shouldn't I really be starting with more than 1.25 gal and how much???

OR

4. Should I be replacing the removed wort after testing, which seems like a high risk of contamination???

1. Yes (although you can take the sample when it is still cooling and then adjust the result using a calculator. http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

2. Boiloff is going to vary depending on your setup. I usually figure 0.5 gallons for a 1 gallon batch.

3. No, if you add water to account for your sample you are going to end up with the right final volume but now your wort will be overly diluted. Best solution is to zap your sample in the microwave to resanitize and then dump it back into the cooling wort.

4. Most people would dump their sample, but as a small batch brewer I just try to be careful with sanitation and save it.

More likely that they have the commonly held belief that 1 gallon batches aren't "worth the time" and so are trying to get you to "be happier" with the hobby by getting better return on your time.

I've done both large batches, (9G) and small (.75G), and am quite happy doing both. The ease of effort of doing small batches lets me turn out a nice variety in my pipeline without too much effort or occupied space. Now if I had a nice empty basement again, and room for a kegerator and a dedicated electric brew space I would probably be doing larger batches because I could afford the space and time. However atm, I'm limited and don't have room for several 5-8G fermenters to sit around the apartment.

I'm sort of in the same situation for space, except I just like quality ale and not QUANTITY.....I don't go through that much. Being an engineer, I am into the process and would like to perfect future 1 gallon batches. I already have an RC airplane hobby that eats up money; I don't need another money pit.

1. Yes (although you can take the sample when it is still cooling and then adjust the result using a calculator. http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

2. Boiloff is going to vary depending on your setup. I usually figure 0.5 gallons for a 1 gallon batch. :) Thanks.

3. No, if you add water to account for your sample you are going to end up with the right final volume but now your wort will be overly diluted. Best solution is to zap your sample in the microwave to resanitize and then dump it back into the cooling wort. :) I really like this solution. Thanks.

4. Most people would dump their sample, but as a small batch brewer I just try to be careful with sanitation and save it.
I will be careful.

For an estimation in your boil off rate, and other useful tidbits of brew day measurements check out the link in my sig.

I like the idea of a quick burst in the microwave to sanitize. I actually do that for my beer bottles since I can fit ~14 bottles in at the same time it works for these small batches without too much trouble. An alternative is to get a refractometer instead of a hydrometer, very convenient for small batches.

Youshould wait till the sample is cooled to the calibration temp on the hydrometer. That temp is typically either 60 or 68f and is listed at the base of the hydrometer. Those correction tools aren't always accurate beyond ~90F

-->Questions:

OR

4. Should I be replacing the removed wort after testing, which seems like a high risk of contamination???<--

1. Yes

2. The way I estimated the boil-off for my first batch was to boil 1.5 gallons of water vigorously in my kettle and record the level on a measuring stick every 15 minutes for an hour. Then refilled the pot noting the volume added at each increment.

3./4. There is no "right" answer. I quickly moved to a refractometor. Some, you'll find ,taste their samples (yum). Some return the sample and just try to be sanitary.

I hope that we all remain "newbies" to a certain extent. There is so much to brew and so many techniques to try! Every new experiment is an adventure which makes this fun as a hobby.

RDWHAHB!

I boil 1.25 & end up with a littles less than 1 gal , I use a refactometer also ( 40$ ) I add a small amount of h2o if needed when moving in to fermenter & although I would love to be precise with final gravity its difficult with 1 gal batches ,also I strain & use hop bags to get the most wort , it helps

A little experience goes a long way, I suggest you just brew the kit (following the instructions) then you will have a better grasp of brewing. After that first go you will have an idea of what your volume losses are for each step and you can then account for those losses for the next batch, including hydrometer samples. First learn the basics like proper sanitation, controlling boil overs, etc.

Then come back here with more questions!

my boil off is 9 cup (aka tad over a quart) after a vigourous hour boil, please see vigourous boil with a salt of grain, it's easier to have a vigourous boil at the end with a gallon than at the begining due to hot break and higher volume in the kettle.

my boil off is 9 cup (aka tad over a quart) after a vigourous hour boil, please see vigourous boil with a salt of grain, it's easier to have a vigourous boil at the end with a gallon than at the begining due to hot break and higher volume in the kettle.

Just so you don't screw up your volume measurements or calculations later, 9 cups is not a tad over a quart - it is a tad over 2 quarts. A cup is 8oz, a pint is 16oz, a quart is 32 oz. So a quart is 4 cups...

And my boil-off is similar - around 0.6 gal/hr (or 9.6 cups).

Yes do not do what I did a few times and adjust the burner down through the boil. Could not figure out why the boil off was changing on each batch. Felt like a :goat: when I realize I was the culprit.
:mug:

Brewing at smaller scales, how do you guys store unused hops? Vacuum seal and refrigerate? TIA

Just so you don't screw up your volume measurements or calculations later, 9 cups is not a tad over a quart - it is a tad over 2 quarts. A cup is 8oz, a pint is 16oz, a quart is 32 oz. So a quart is 4 cups...

And my boil-off is similar - around 0.6 gal/hr (or 9.6 cups).

ah ah ah that would be about right thanks for correcting me indeed I get a tad above a half gallon of boil ff

Brewing at smaller scales, how do you guys store unused hops? Vacuum seal and refrigerate? TIA

Always put hops in the freezer not the fridge. I just ziploc bag it.

If you brew frequently a zip lock with the air pushed out and stored in the freezer is fine.

If you have lots down time between batches (3+ months) vacuum packing is the best option. Definitely vacuum pack into smaller amounts if you start getting hops in bulk.

I currently have a 1G kit on its way to me on a big brown truck..Am looking forward to making small batches..Currently I have 2(soon to be 3) 2G kits(Mr Beer-all 3) and 2 5G kits.

Hey guys. I've been brewing a few years but it has slowed with the birth of my son two years ago. Do you guys have a good setup that you recommend? I used to do one gal batches and figure someone has to have a good system. Much appreciated!

Hey guys. I've been brewing a few years but it has slowed with the birth of my son two years ago. Do you guys have a good setup that you recommend? I used to do one gal batches and figure someone has to have a good system. Much appreciated!

Northern Brewer just came out with an upgraded kit comes with about everything you would need. I'll link it below.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...ch-starter-kit/go-pro-small-batch-starter-kit

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYaypY5s_bE[/ame]

I have everything the kit offers. I've brewed AG the past few years. Just curious to see what everyone uses for the mash progress......

I use a five gallon paint strainer bag for BIAB for one gallons. I built a 2 gallon mash tun but with just one gallon it was harder to maintain temps. Biab I found to be easier.View attachment 322280

Thanks. I'll have to read up on BIAB. About how long does it take, start to finish? I'm sure it's much quicker than 5 gal due to less mess, set up, clean up, etc.

Thanks. I'll have to read up on BIAB. About how long does it take, start to finish? I'm sure it's much quicker than 5 gal due to less mess, set up, clean up, etc.

It honestly takes around the same amount of time as a 5 gallon. The clean up and setup is quicker but the process is the same. Now if you want something quicker look up the 15 minute pale ale recipe on here. It is extract but your boil for 15 min and it makes a very tasty pale ale. I've done several versions but my all Citra version was my favorite.

Link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=210253

One of the 1 gallon kit stores I've ordered from built the BIAB method into their instructions, so I've tried that. However I decided to stick with using a large metal strainer at the end of the mash. This one here, placed overtop of a 5 gallon pot:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DU5PFC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I then recirculate the collected liquid, by gently pouring it overtop of the grain bed again. I have a second clean 5 gallon pot to place the strainer while I collect the liquid and put it into a measuring cup for pouring.

Then I have another pot on the stovetop with the sparge water ready at the desired temperature. Just a few degrees higher to make up for the loss as I pour it first into a measuring cup and then on the grain bed. Trying to keep the sparge process relatively slow and even.

So yeah, the 1 gallon brewing method can be a little more labor intensive in certain steps of the process, where you are doing things by hand.

As far as things I've added to the basic setup. I use the oxygen tank/oxygenation wand. A lot easier than picking up the jug and shaking it. The standard 1 gallon kit method calls for using an ice bath in the sink to cool the wort. But then you have to remember to keep lots of ice on hand. In that respect, an immersion chiller seems like a worthwhile upgrade. Although I imagine you already have much of these things.

I went with a bench capper after the hand held capper that came with my 1 gallon kit broke. It is a lot more versatile in that it gives you the ability to fill bottles of all different shapes and sizes, including the narrow neck bottles that the hand held capper is unable to grip onto.

I would recommend getting a couple decent quality folding work tables that you can use for racking/bottling, to give you the ability to set up a work area away from the kitchen.

Last edited by a moderator:
My small batches are pretty quick. 45 minute mash for the average brew, 60 minutes for big brews. 5-10 minutes to move the grain bag and sparge. ~5 minutes to get to boil. then 60 minute boil. 10-15 minutes to chill (10 ft x 1/2 ID (5/8 OD) immersion chiller. Total time: ~135-150 minutes.

Water is ready to go as soon as I'm ready. I fill a slow cooker with water and have it start 2.5 hours before I'm ready to go using a lamp timer. Can use some water in my hot tea kettle.

I've also used the timer to toggle the heat on the slow cooker to turn off and on every half hour, and mashed while I want shopping or gone to work. Works well, temps fluctuate a bit more

Thanks everyone. Lots of good tips. Hope to get some stuff brewing again after the holidays. I think the BIAB is the way I'm going to go. Again, thanks for help!

Quick update on the bcbs 1 gallon clone I started in March i tried my first.bottle last night, flavors are mild bourbon vanilla chocolate and oak overall turned out pretty good

Sounds good, someone on another forum has brewed this and commented how good it was. I've also noticed a few more 1G questions in the forum, so hopefully they'll see this 1-Gallon Brewers UNITE! topic for more info.

I have everything the kit offers. I've brewed AG the past few years. Just curious to see what everyone uses for the mash progress......

I've tried BIAB a couple times and found it, not less efficient, just that I didn't enjoy the process as much as just going bagless in a pot with a glass lid for mashing, have to stir all the time to keep the heat uniform and from scorching the bottom grains. The BIAB beers turned out just fine and it was easier cleanup, maybe I just like it messy and hands on ;)

So what's everybody been up to lately? My last batch was on Halloween, was out of the country for much of December so haven't had a chance to try it out yet, dropped a couple bottles in the fridge yesterday to chill and try tonight. Was trying to use up a few things in the freezer so this was the experiment:

60 minute mash @ 154
730g 2-row
109g pale rye malt
50g honey malt
30g chocolate malt

4g fuggle @ 60
5g fuggle @ 45
6g amarillo @ 30
6g amarillo @ 15
6g jarrylo @ 10
6g jarrylo @ 5

Yeast : S-04 hydrated.

Used bottled water, didn't have enough time to filter and gas-out my usual tap water. Haven't used Jarrylo too much, did a SMaSH with 2-row some time ago and initially wasn't great, but after a while aged nicely in the bottle so really curious about this one.

Really not sure what is going to come out of this mess, will find out when I get home :D

Back