1 Gallon Blonde + Dregs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brif

Reaction score
Brewed a small batch blonde ale last weekend based on the recipe in “Brewing Classic Styles” so I can get used to new system. I mashed a little high, so I’m expecting some residual sugars to remain. I also added a little bit of sanitized water to the fermenter, which will dilute the Willamette hops a bit.
My OG was 1.065 and I expect the IBU’s to be around 15. WY1056 is in the midst of a robust fermentation right now.

What I’d like to do is take 1 gallon of this beer, transfer to secondary gallon jug, and sour it. I’ve done lots of reading on brewing sours, so it’s time to jump in.

My plan is to pitch dregs from some Jolly Pumpkin (something like Calabaza Blanca or Bambiere (both with ABV <5%), and let it age for a good 9-12 months.
(I’d also like to consider adding some oak at some point). Sound good so far??

So, my questions are:

1) Am I on the right track with these JP beers for dregs? I also have a 375 Crooked Stave Surette, but there is no date on it. Would pitching dregs into a 1 gal secondary be enough, or would I be better off getting a small starter going? (something else I haven’t done yet). I know there is Tonsmeire’s list of unfiltered/unpasteurized sours, but do others have additional suggestions based on experience?
2) If I pitch only dregs, do I need to sanitize the mouth of the bottle(s) before pitching? How to do this if necessary?
3) Anyone done this with a clean fermented American Blonde before with good results? Am I correct in waiting 9 months before starting to take monthly gravity readings?
4) If I want to add a mild oak character, are cubes the best way to do that? What type/toast? How many ounces? And when to use during aging and for how long?

Thanks in advance for any answers/insight! I’m excited to jump into brewing sours and get some stuff in the pipeline for my future self.

Brian

I would go ahead and dump the dregs in and not worry about making a starter or sanitizing the neck of the bottle (unless you put you mouth on it!). If you were to sanitize I would use a torch to heat sterilize it. If you have an acetylene torch I'd say sanitize the mouth to be safe.

I have a propane torch. any reason that wouldn't work just as well? or a std biclighter?

So,
cracking cold bottle from high heat is not an issue? Do I want to heat it under blue flame for more than a few seconds?

The bottle may crack from the heat but you really only need to pass it back and forth through the flame for a couple seconds. Try it on an empty bottle first.

Maybe a dumb questions, but wouldn't be my first:
Is there some reason why, when harvesting dregs from a bottle, that people use heat to sanitize the mouth/neck of the bottle as opposed to starsan? or even a little alcohol or vodka wiped on the lip? I use starsan to sanitize everything else. Would spraying the mouth of the bottle with starsan before and after pouring the beer out have some detrimental effect on the bacteria you are trying to harvest? Too high a concentration of starsan with the low volume of a beer bottle? When I pitch yeast into a carboy, I pour it through a small funnel that is wet with starsan.
Is heat the only reliable way to do this when harvesting dregs?

A flame will sterilize where a sanitizer is just that. I flame everything and work in the presence of a flame when doing any work with yeast, just as a precaution.

Back