1 base + 1 specialty + 1 hop + US05 = Good Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll play

A Tasty dank ipa

95% MO
5% C120
Edit: 50-70 ibus Zeus to taste (late additions preferred for me)
Us05

95% Maris or Rahr 2 Row for Base
5% victory
Citra..... 1 oz. to bitter
Citra ..... 2 oz. flame out
Citra ..... 3 oz. <140 degree hopstand
Citra .... 2-4 oz. Dry Hop

Yeast = 05 (or 1056, 007, Conan, 1272.... whatever is your pleasure.)

Don't forget the Commercial Beer that probably epitomises this type of style.....
90%Pale
10% Special B
Chinook hops - Chinook hops Everywhere...

Just brewed this yesterday. We will see...

90% Pilsner
10% Vienna

mash at 152F for 90 min
1 oz Saaz @ 60
1 oz Saaz @ 20
1 oz Saaz @ 2

Don't forget the Commercial Beer that probably epitomises this type of style.....
90%Pale
10% Special B

That's probably #2 in my list. I did MO/Special B/Aromatic with a hefty helping of Chinook. 5 gallons lasted about a week and a half...

90%Pale
10% Special B

Help me out because I have no idea and I use Special B is almost anything I can get away with. Love that stuff.

90%Pale
10% Special B

Which commercial beer is that?

I brewed my recommendation on the 25th...95% MO, 5% Rye, 100% Simcoe...WY1272...which is slow as all get out. I didn't realize that and my patience is being tried as well. 8 days in and still krausen up the wazzo. I just want to try it so bad.

Anyway, I used a lot of Simcoe and probably should have dialed it back, but I'm going to run with it.

Which commercial beer is that?

I brewed my recommendation on the 25th...95% MO, 5% Rye, 100% Simcoe...WY1272...which is slow as all get out. I didn't realize that and my patience is being tried as well. 8 days in and still krausen up the wazzo. I just want to try it so bad.

Anyway, I used a lot of Simcoe and probably should have dialed it back, but I'm going to run with it.

Have you used Simcoe alone before? I've heard people don't like it by itself (can't remember why). I love it in my IPAs though. Especially with Columbus or citra.

I made a MO/Mosaic SMaSH about 6 months ago. It was awesome. I'd add some Vienna or Munich to it... maybe some Crystal 40 to give it a little more complexity.

Have you used Simcoe alone before? I've heard people don't like it by itself (can't remember why). I love it in my IPAs though. Especially with Columbus or citra.
Nope. But I'm doing it because it's too late for me now. :)
Some beers I enjoy that are all simcoe are hoppyum and double simcoe, so I am hoping for similar delicious results.

Arrogant Bastard

I am not! Maybe a bastard, never arrogant!

Yea I've heard it said before because it supposedly gives off that menthol hop flavor.

100 MO
Fuggle hops
British yeast

I have a Marris/Centennial SMaSH kegged right now and it's great. Sub 10% Munich or C40 and:mug::ban:

MO/mosaic SMaSH is on my list too. I like the idea of adding either vienna or munich.

MO/Mosaic SMaSH may end up as a house beer for me. I've only been brewing for a year and a half, so I have only come up with a handful of original recipes that I love, but that SMaSH is killer. Adding a little Vienna or Munich sounds delicious though. I did 6oz total for 5 gallons. I believe I did 1oz at 60, 1.5oz at 15, 1.5oz at 0 and 2oz dry hop for 4 days.

Great. Now I can't wait to make this one!

Domestic Pale 2 Row- 80%
Carapils- 20%

Northern Brewer @ 60 minutes
Northern Brewer @ 20 minutes
Northern Brewer @ flameout

:mug:

So if you wanted to brew an interesting and unique beer, but were limited to ONE base and ONE character malt from the list below, along with any SINGLE hop variety of your choice, what would you do? Fermented with neutral US05 yeast.

a) It's not a SMaSH, so a character malt must be included with your base, and it must have a noticeable contribution in your finished beer.
b) Single infusion mash, but you can manipulate temperature for desired body/sweetness.
c) You can also adjust water profile to highlight hops, malt, or go for a balanced profile.
d) If its good, I'm totally stealing your idea and brewing it.

BASE (at least 70%):
Maris Otter
Domestic Pale 2 Row

CHARACTER (up to 30%):
Pale Wheat
Chocolate
Black Patent
Peated Malt
Melanoidin
Victory
Munich
Rye
Carapils
Vienna

Simple Dry Stout (would prefer you had roasted barley in your list).
92% Marris Otter
8% Black Patent
EKG 1 oz at 60
EKG 1.5 oz at 20
1 tsp of Burton Salt
Mash at 152 for 60 minutes
Boil for 60 after hot break
Pitch US-05 at 62 degrees

Back