1-7 Barrel Breweries to the Pro's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dshay

Reaction score
Just a little curious about how the small nano and micro breweries do it. Thinking about the 1 to 7 barrel breweries that are out there, do they typically use a electric brewery setup or do they still use the gas step-ups? I mean what are the pros and cons of a system that large of both electric or gas? Just curious is all. One day dream of my own small brewery, as we all dream :mug: Didn't know if I should start to slowly invest in a larger gas step up or go the way of electric . Any info from you guys would be awesome.

Thanks for everything guys!

Cheers:mug:

Dakota

Well, it all boils down to cost. And there are about 9000 other things you have to take into account along with deciding to go gas or electric. How much money do you have for the brewhouse? What are the local construction laws? How much space do you have?

Steam is the way to go, it's cheaper and you can manage temps better. Direct fire is typically more expensive and its harder to manage temps. Go to a brewery and talk to the brewer...he'll tell you what he has.

I remember a brew-on-premises place in San Diego that used steam jacketed copper kettles. They were sweet, probably about 20 gallon kettles then pumped through a filter system, into a giant CF chiller and into the fermentor, a large plastc barrel on wheels.

It was a nice flow and was great for the "homebrewer" that was looking to get into the hobby. I just remember those nice steam-fired kettle.

sounds good guys, think I might look into the electric brewing though. No flame to worry about and easier to maintain the temps.

it's all related to where you are and what kind of budget you are working with. Some locations require fire suppression systems for propane burners, in that case go electric. Some places electric prices are too high so go with something else. Sometimes your poor and cant afford a snazzy stream system so go with what you can get.

it's all related to where you are and what kind of budget you are working with. Some locations require fire suppression systems for propane burners, in that case go electric. Some places electric prices are too high so go with something else. Sometimes your poor and cant afford a snazzy stream system so go with what you can get.

Yah I get what your saying, and I'm thinking if I ever grow to the dream of having the small brewery it would have to be gas or most likely electric. Steam set-ups look really nice, probably a little pricey to start off with from ground zero though.

I'm involved with a nano brewery. Basically a 1 barrel home brew system. We're using gas at the moment. I think if you are going that small you do whatever your budget calls for.

Propane must be stored outside so getting it to where you are brewing AND having space to put it is tough. Getting gas hookups for home brew style burners is also a problem.

Another thing is getting rid of all the moister from boiling 30 gallons of wort. That cost $17,000 alone right there.

I'm involved with a nano brewery. Basically a 1 barrel home brew system. We're using gas at the moment. I think if you are going that small you do whatever your budget calls for.

Propane must be stored outside so getting it to where you are brewing AND having space to put it is tough. Getting gas hookups for home brew style burners is also a problem.

Another thing is getting rid of all the moister from boiling 30 gallons of wort. That cost $17,000 alone right there.

Gold plated exhaust fan? Gotta hear about this.

Wow, 17k for the vents and fans? I figured I could just use a cooking exhaust from a restaurant and then all the vents connected to it or something. I wasn't really looking that far down the road yet, still was figuring out the electric vs gas set-ups lol but I guess that is food for thought for down the road.

Just a little puzzled is all at the 17k figure, due to the fact that you could get a 1 barrel set-up from stout tanks for 3k. Of course there would be many outside factors to finance in.

Alittle off topic but oh well, but with regards to your 1 barrel brewery, what is your set up like with gas? What type of burners and how many do you use? What is boiling times? And how do you manage your temps with mash and etc. Sorry for all the questions, I am just very intrigued about everything. :)

Thanks again,

Dakota

Cheers :mug:

Back