1.5 Litre Coke Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughRichardson

Reaction score
I am using easily obtainable 1.5 litre Coke bottles for bottling.
These PET Bottles cannot be washed in hot water as the material can be damaged, so I use cold or warm water for rinsing.

However the bottle caps are of a more normal type of hard plastic, and I would like to give them a thorough wash prior to sanitizing. Does anyone know if these caps can safely be boiled or have any other tips for cleaning of such bottles and caps?

I wouldn't bother with anything more than what you are doing....doesn't make much sense to go over board with one component if you can't follow through on all of them.

At present, all I am doing is rinsing the caps under the tap for a few seconds, and letting them sit in a bowl of sanitiser for a half hour or so while I am washing the actual bottles. One or two of them look a little stained as I have been using them for a while and have but recently instituted a system of date marking both bottles and caps so they dont get used too long. However there are still not enough of this new generation of bottles and caps that I can quite ditch the old ones yet!
I dont want to scrub them out with a brush, as that is likley to cause more contamination than it resolves. Maybe I will try and boil half and see how they get along!! I was hoping sopmeone might have tried this already.

Back