1.5 gallon DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
For sake of time, convenience and cost I am going to brew a 1.5 gallon batch of DIPA. I am going to use the grain bill given by Avery Brewing for there Maharaja Imperial IPA on their website:

93.8% - 2-row
3.1% - Victory
3.1% - c-120

I'd like to add a bit of cane sugar to dry it out a little. I was thinking 5%. Should I add the 5% cane sugar directly to the grain bill above, therefor altering the percentages? Or adjust the amounts somehow?

If you are looking to boost the ABV in addition to what the grain percentages will give you, then maybe add the sugar into the fermentor after initial fermentation dies down. If you are looking to incorporate it into the recipe, you can swap it for equal contributions of ABV with the two row. You can also use mash temp and yeast selection to dry it out without the sugar. Don't know if that helps or not.

Not trying to up the ABV, just trying to dry it out a little. I'll be mashing at around 149-150. I think I'll go with the above grain bill and through in some cane sugar at flame out. probably about a quarter pound.
Thanks for the input.

Mash it for 90+ min. I did a sasion at 90 finished.at .004 that same recipe at 60 min finished at .010 prior to that

If you're trying to dry out the beer, you need to REPLACE some malt with sugar like Jmarsh mentioned, not simply add sugar. All that does is up the ABV.

Back