1/2 brl barrel keg in a mini fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
I have a friend who is looking to get going with a kegerator, but would like the option of having a 1/2 brl setup, and would like to have the keg stored in a mini fridge like a Sanyo 4912. Now I know the Sanyo 4912 can not fit a 1/2 brl keg but are there any mini fridges that can store a 1/2 brl? I know Home Depot sells a kegerator out of the box that is the size of the mini fridge, but those tend to be a bit expensive, and ruin the whole DIY experience.

I you are handy (and careful). Buy a $100 mini fridge (the compressor kind, not the peltier kind) and CAREFULLY tear it apart. You can then install it in a custom "box" built to your specs.

I did this. I took the Stainless steel base cabinet to a grill I didn't need, taped the heat exchanger to the metal, installed a 2" foam box, lined with masonite, put the chill plate inside and sealed it all up. I hold 4 kegs or two carboys.

Details here
mini-fridge-total-dissection-photo-story

I you are handy (and careful). Buy a $100 mini fridge (the compressor kind, not the peltier kind) and CAREFULLY tear it apart. You can then install it in a custom "box" built to your specs.

I did this. I took the Stainless steel base cabinet to a grill I didn't need, taped the heat exchanger to the metal, installed a 2" foam box, lined with masonite, put the chill plate inside and sealed it all up. I hold 4 kegs or two carboys.

Details here
mini-fridge-total-dissection-photo-story

wow you really went the custom route on this.

I modified a Frigidaire Model FRC445GB to fit a 1/2 barrel. It took some work but wasn't difficult. They sell the new version of this fridge at Loews. With some work you can probably use just about any 4.4 cu ft or larger fridge.
1936-2011-01-06-21-52-41-204.jpg

I modified a Frigidaire Model FRC445GB to fit a 1/2 barrel. It took some work but wasn't difficult. They sell the new version of this fridge at Loews. With some work you can probably use just about any 4.4 cu ft or larger fridge.
1936-2011-01-06-21-52-41-204.jpg

Can you post photos of the inside without the keg?

Back