1.180 gravity pineapple mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brunobrew

Reaction score
anyone know where this might finish? I used five champagne yeast, 2 packs of Rudesheimer 4783 in a 4000ml starter and pumped pure oxygen for 2.5 minutes. 15lbs of honey and 6 12oz cans of pineapple concentrate. this is the first mead I've had to put a blow off tube on.

what champagne yeast did you use?

Rudesheimer 4783 will only get it down to 1.070. its a crazy high SG but a champagne might just get it down to drinkable range but at around 20% alcohol.

if you are going for abv let your yeast go as far as it can go rack off then pitch a super strain like the whitelabs WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast or the WLP099 Super High Gravity Ale Yeast. well that's my plan for my next Dwójniak or Poltorak mead cause its around the same SG 1.175 I used 3 lalvin K1v1116.
if you hit 20% its finishing at around 1.060

Make sure you stir it until the 1/3rd sugar break. You might want to add some boiled bread yeast around that time to strip out some toxins and to add some nutrients.

Back