1.062 to 1.020 (Need More Yeast?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Hey All,

I made an Autumn Harvest Ale that contained:

7lbs DME
0.5lb Special B
0.5lb Crystal 60L
1/2 lb Malto Dextrine
1/2 lb Lactose Sugar
3tsp Spice Mix (cinnamon, ginger, clove)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tst almond extract
7lbs of Butternut Squash mashed for 1hr with specialty grains
2 packs of Rehydrated Nottingham Yeast

Had an OG of 1.060 and hit 1.020 after 2 weeks. Was 1.020 after 3 weeks (today) as well.

It just seems a tad under attenuated, but I dont have a problem if it stays there as a higher gravity in an ale like this I think would be good.

Does this seem at least reasonable to everyone or should I add more yeast?
I plan to leave in the primary for another 10-14 days then bottle.

Thoughts?

That not really surprising with that recipe. ( lactose, special B, Malto dextrine)

You could give the carboy a swirl to bring the yeast back into suspension, but I wouldn't surprised at all if that is where is stays.

Ok. The idea behind the ingredients was to keep a fairly high FG, but it just seemed a little higher than I thought it might be. I was thinking a 1.015-1.018 but I guess this is reasonable.

I'm guessing mashing the butternut squash with the specialty grains is the issue. The squash needs enzymes to break down its starches into sugars.... the specialty grains in your recipe do not have this.

That makes sense. I had set up the recipe without the squash then bought all the ingredients and didnt think of the enzyme issue.

Is there anything else I need to be concerned with about this or just that there will be a higher FG? It has a great taste mouth feel and aroma.

If tastes good, don't worry. I have a brew now that is tasty at 1.022.( thermometer was broke and didn't notice while mashing) Ending up mashing way too high.

Keep an eye on it when you bottle it for the first couple days. Any bottles that have tops start to bulge - put them in your refrigereator to bottle condition.

Sounds tasty.

Thanks, Dyna. That is what I am thinking... watch em close. Just not sure why the yeast would wake up if they dont for a month.

Latest posts

Back