1.058 to 1.018 after 6 days... repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
I brewed a 10 gallon batch split up into two fermenters, into one I pitched S05, the other S04. The S05 is at 1.012 which is a good FG for me, the S04 is at 1.018 which is too sweet for me. Should I wait or put a bit more S04 in there? I fermented at 61 degrees f, the temp is still being held there.

Suggestions?

Thanks

I would suggest agitate the yeast cake in the S04 batch by swirling or very gentle stirring with a sanitized spoon. Be careful not to aerate the beer. Give it about 3 days and if the gravity hasn't changed then I'd say go ahead and try adding another packet.

Another idea would be to raise the temp to maybe 64F, which should still be low enough to prevent off flavors but it's a significant step up in temp.

edit: neglected that you mentioned it's only 6 days old. I'll stick with my agitation suggestion but I would give it another week before adding more yeast.

I'd just let it go. If it's still too sweet after a couple weeks then I'd start looking at my options.

Raise the temp and see what happens. You have already set the flavor, so don't be afraid to bring it up to around 70 F.

If nothing happens in a few days, move the S05 beer to a secondary, and rack this one onto it's cake. Again, the flavor is already set.

I think S04 needs to be at mid 60s to ferment, while S05 works to lower temps. It probably generated it's own heat in the early stage of fermentation that kept it going for a while. When it slowed down, the temp dropped, and the yeast went dormant.

Also S05 attenuates a little more than S04 for the same wort.

Thinking about it, you might want to increase the S05 beer to ensure it's finished.

i don't even check my beer until at least 2 weeks. relax and let it sit. 61 is on the low end; it may take a while

Patience is the key. 6 days is nothing. raising the temp to 65F won't hurt, you don't have enough fermentables left to produce off flavors.
A few years ago I brewed 15 gallons of brown ale similar to Moose Drool. I used 04 in on bucket, 05 in another and Nottingham in the 3rd. The Nottingham was done in a week, the 05 a week later and the 04 was right behind it. But there was no doubt that I had 3 totally different beers out of that batch. The Nottingham was the favorite the 04 a close second and the 05 was kind of dull.

I raised the temp to 65 and stirred the beer, and the FG went down to 1.016. Not as dry as I like it, but dry enough to drink for me. It's about 5.5% abv now. I'm cold crashing now and I'm going to keg this weekend and let it sit on some hops for awhile.

Thanks for the help!

Back