1.046 gravity for 10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjames14x

Reaction score
Hi all, just a quick question, just did a 10 gallon batch of a American Red Ale on my all electric setup, i ended out with about 11 gallons total. i know i should of boiled longer but for some reason didnt look at my level until i was transfering to the fermentor. My target OG that i was going for was 1.060, question is if i would of boiled another 30 min or so would that 1.046 get closer to more like 1.056?

Depends on your heat input. Next time you're brewing, take a volume reading before & after so that you know your evaporation rate. Some people use 15%/hr. as a generic estimate. That would approximately take you from 6 gallons to 5 in an hour.

If you added hops, which I'm assuming you did during the boil, it's generally not a good idea to extend the boil impromptu. Reason being, it will cause more extraction of bitterness from the hops and therefore could swing in the other direction towards being too bitter. You're better off adding DME or LME to the boil at the end of the boil to try and get the gravity up, if you feel the need to correct the issue. If you're too high, you can add water to dilute the OG down a bit.

I used to miss my gravity a ton when I was getting used to my new setup several years ago. I would generally just go with it, knowing no matter what I was making beer, and would make notes that helped me hone the system in even further. Even when things get off a fair bit, they typically don't taste horrible...just not quite ideal in most cases. Generally, I didn't let it bother me as I was learning and just pressed forward for better results next time.

Hope that helps!

You would have needed to boil 11 gal of 1.046 beer down to about 9 gal to end up with 1.056 (V1 x G1 = V2 x G2 where V is volume, G is gravity in pts). I would recommend measuring your boil off rate as a per hour rate, not a percentage. The boil off rate per hr for a given pot will be fairly constant assuming the same heat applied whether you have 5 gal or 10 gal in the pot.

Back