1.024 Fg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewsBrews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need some opinions. I just checked a sample of my American Brown Ale and got a reading of 1.024. When I pitched two weeks ago, the OG was 1.060, just as the recipe predicted. I had it in the primary for four days, during which I had what appeared to be a strong fermentation that faded out by the fourth day (the reason I transfered to the secondary). It's been in the secondary for a week and a half, with hardly any activity for the better part of a week. As far as I can tell, fermentation is pretty much done. I've been told that FG usually ends up in the "teens", so I'm wondering why mine petered out early.

So, should I just go ahead and bottle? What about stirring the sediment up in hopes the yeast will start kicking again?

I fully expect at least one of you to tell me to throw the hydrometer away. :D

Are you pretty confident of that 1.060 reading? What was the SG when you racked? Have you posted the recipe here?

Well, I'm not really sure what the difference is between OG and SG. I checked just before I pitched the yeast (temp was 70). I spun the hydro and then read it at 1.060. I did not check again when I racked to the secondary.

The recipe is a "ProMash" recipe printout that my LHBS gave me for "All American Brownie #2". Ingredients as follows:
0.50 lbs Crystal 50L
1.00 lbs Special Roast Malt
0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt (mmm... chocolate malt)
2.00 lbs Briess Light DME
6.00 lbs Briess Light LME
2.00 oz Goldings hops (bittering)
1.00 oz Fuggle hops (aroma)
1.00 tsp Gypsum
1.00 tsp Irish Moss

Under Style Guidelines it lists Max OG as 1.060
Under Recipe Specifics it lists Anticipated OG as 1.069

I used a starter that I had set up the night before (1qt water, 1 1/4 cup DME, White Labs Irish Ale yeast). The sugar in the starter might have affected the first reading somewhat, I guess.

EDIT: Brain fart on my part. I just realized that the starter couldn't have affected the reading because I put it in the wort after I checked the SG. Duh... :cross:

DrewsBrews said:
Well, I'm not really sure what the difference is between OG and SG.
OG (original gravity) is the beginning SG.

1.024 seems a bit high, but I don't know how much unfermentable sugar is in the Bries extracts. I'd take another reading in a day or two to see if it's still holding at 1.024, or maybe just moving down very slowly. Also, you might want to shake things up a bit to see if that gets some fermentation going again. I wouldn't bottle until you know for sure that the SG is as low as it's going to get.

El Pistolero said:
Also, you might want to shake things up a bit to see if that gets some fermentation going again.

1. Do you mean I should stir the yeast back into suspension?
2. Should I try to avoid stirring it hard enough to add oxygen?
3. What effect will leaving it in the carboy with air instead of the CO2 pocket that formed during fermentation have? This is assuming that I can't get it to ferment much more.

I guess shake was the wrong term...you're right you don't want to let any oxygen in. Just swirl the carboy around a bit to try and, like you said, get the yeast back into suspension. I wouldn't do that tho until you've taken another SG reading. I could still be moving down slowly.

Off topic, I just noticed you're in Tacoma...best area in the country IMHO. Hopefully I'll get to go back some day, if I ever get to retire.

I have a long plastic spoon. I'll wait for a couple of days and take another reading. If it hasn't moved, I'll sanitize it and then give the beer a gentle stir.

Yup. Tacky-oma. :) Since I'm a newbie to homebrewing, I was kinda pleased to find out Washington is known for its hops, not just apples. I'm just a few hours away from Hopsdirect. I guess that explains why Microbreweries are so popular. A few years ago I started some travel for business and was surprised to see how little m-brews were available outside of the northwest.

You're a native, I take it?

DrewsBrews said:
You're a native, I take it?
No, just lived there for four years while I was growing up. Been trying to get back ever since...just hasn't worked out yet.

Quick note: SG = Specific Gravity (Gravity for short)

From my calculations, it looks like you pretty much nailed your OG. You'd have to actually mash your grains to get the target OG they listed with the recipe. So you're looking for a FG in the mid to high teens.

Hopefully giving it a stir will get it that last bit. Let us know how it comes out :)

LupusUmbrus said:
Quick note: SG = Specific Gravity (Gravity for short)
Thanks. I knew that part... I was just not sure about OG versus SG. I now understand that OG and FG are just fancy ways of saying SG at the beginning and SG at the end.

LupusUmbrus said:
From my calculations, it looks like you pretty much nailed your OG. You'd have to actually mash your grains to get the target OG they listed with the recipe. So you're looking for a FG in the mid to high teens.
Hopefully giving it a stir will get it that last bit. Let us know how it comes out :)
Good to know I got that part right. :) I couldn't wait any longer. I sanitized the spoon and stirred the yeast up about 10 minutes ago. At least it looks like the air lock is moving again, albeit slowly. Slow is better than the once every three or four minutes for last five days, though.

You'll have to tell me how you figured out what the OG should be.

I licked the spoon after stirring and it's pretty tasty, so I'm almost sure the only thing out of whack is the gravity. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

DrewsBrews said:
Thanks. I knew that part... I was just not sure about OG versus SG. I now understand that OG and FG are just fancy ways of saying SG at the beginning and SG at the end.
Exactly. Figured you knew, but I didn't see it mentioned.

DrewsBrews said:
Good to know I got that part right. :) I couldn't wait any longer. I sanitized the spoon and stirred the yeast up about 10 minutes ago. At least it looks like the air lock is moving again, albeit slowly. Slow is better than the once every three or four minutes for last five days, though.
Cool. Hope it gets things going. Won't know for sure until you take another gravity sample, but there's not much else you can do (aside from adding more yeast.)

DrewsBrews said:
You'll have to tell me how you figured out what the OG should be.
Base on target OG, beer style, and empirical data, I used the SWAG method to determine a theoretical FG ;)

DrewsBrews said:
I licked the spoon after stirring and it's pretty tasty, so I'm almost sure the only thing out of whack is the gravity. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Now there's dedication to quality assurance. Hope it comes out great no matter what ends up happening.

Back