1.015 gravity starter to revive yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomaso

Reaction score
I have a starter in the fridge that I couldn't use for the last month so to revive it for brewing in a few days I made up some wort with a bit of nutrient but came shy of 1,020 to only 1.015.

According to the brewunited calculater that should still give me the bit of growth to get the 10bil or so extra cells that I need and I guess due to the low gravity a more healthy bunch of yeast.

So I guess the bottom line questino is whether there is sthg like a starter with too low gravity if it fulfils it's purpose.

Sorry if I haven't expressed myself very well.

I think it will be fine. You might be better off doing a 2-step (the low grav starter, followed by a 1.040 starter) but chances are exceedingly high you will make beer with your current plan. I say go for it.

I think it will be fine. You might be better off doing a 2-step (the low grav starter, followed by a 1.040 starter) but chances are exceedingly high you will make beer with your current plan. I say go for it.

The thing is that I already have almost enough cells so it's really mostly to revive and on the side get the few billion cells I'm missing

I did this recently. I was shooting for an intentional underpitch, and the yeast was old, so I used the weak starter, it took off in a few days, then I cold crashes, decanted, and pitched. Came out very well in the final batch.

I have a starter in the fridge that I couldn't use for the last month so to revive it for brewing in a few days I made up some wort with a bit of nutrient but came shy of 1,020 to only 1.015.

According to the brewunited calculater that should still give me the bit of growth to get the 10bil or so extra cells that I need and I guess due to the low gravity a more healthy bunch of yeast.

So I guess the bottom line questino is whether there is sthg like a starter with too low gravity if it fulfils it's purpose.

Sorry if I haven't expressed myself very well.

A low gravity starter will produce new healthy cells. The optimum starter gravity of around 1.038 to 1.040 can produce a greater number of healthy cells than the lower gravity wort for the same volume. The cells produced in either wort will have the same vitality. If the low gravity starter produced the number of cells needed for the planned brew your are good to go.

A low gravity starter will produce new healthy cells. The optimum starter gravity of around 1.038 to 1.040 can produce a greater number of healthy cells than the lower gravity wort for the same volume. The cells produced in either wort will have the same vitality. If the low gravity starter produced the number of cells needed for the planned brew your are good to go.

My reply comes a bit late... The brew turned out well so I guess my starter was fine.

One thing though.. You say that the cells produced will have the same vitality but I think the point is that the cells produced in the higher gravity wort by older yeast will be stressed out. That's from what I understand the reason to make the lower gravity starter.

Back