06.06.06 Brew day, post your results, tips, gripes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took mine off the oak chips and, wow, is that oak flavor prominent! I dry hopped it and have let it sit for ~ a week and a half. The gravity was still 1.020. It doesn't taste heavy on the tongue, which I expected with this gravity. I'll probably bottle it next week.

I was really worried about this one but I just tasted my first glass and I'm encouraged with it. Got a very nice dense head and I noticed a bunch of sediment swirling around. This is good because I left the keg at 68 degrees for an additional week in hopes that it would ferment some more. The gravity at kegging was 1.020. The Bourbon/whiskey taste is still there but it has mellowed. The malt profile has started to come through and it is very much to my liking. I'm getting a bit if hop bitterness and aroma but it is still over powered by the Bourbon flavor. I'm pretty sure I'm tasting the oak and rye.
This one may take awhile to be at it's best but I think it is going to be worth the wait.
2967-IHA.jpg

My first attempt of this beer is currently bubbling away in the primary as I type this. Looking ahead to the remaining steps got me thinking. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on skipping the oak chips step. I'm not sure I'm all that interested in the oak flavor. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good bourbon, just not in my beer. Any thoughts?

Tried one tonight, was actually suprized at the hop taste I got..I was expecting much sweeter but it had a pleasant bitter bite to go with the fruity flavor, and a hint of smoke. Mine spent 10 days primary 4 weeks secondary and has been bottled for 2 weeks now. this is going to be very nice by June.

I would like to hear from other extract brewers but IMHO you scored with the extract recipie Dude. :rockin:
3008-DSC00002.JPG

I had thought about the same thing but figured with all of the discussion about the potential sweetness this brew would have the oak might tone it down a bit. I added an ounce of oak chips and plan on racking to a tertiary after a week then bottle after to more weeks. It won't be ready by 06.06.06 but so far it tastes great.

I racked mine over to a secondary yesterday. The SG had gone from 1.076 to 1.012 after ten days. I decided to add the hops and oak chips in with out a hop bag, not sure if that was a good idea, I couldn't get all of the beer in the secondary.

Do you guys find better results using a bag to bring the hops to the bottom of the secondary so the infuse their aroma or can the same effect be had by having them float on top?

Mine's currently in bottles right now. I used the extract recipe, and only had 1/3 cup of corn sugar left, so I also used 2/3 cup of DME on top of that. The citrus/smoke aroma was still there at bottling, and it tastes VERY strongly of alcohol. The oak flavor in mine was subdued, but that's probably because I didn't toast my cubes, I just used fresh ones from Home Depot. I found a hint of sweetness, but wasn't overpowering. In the glass, it looks almost exactly like budbo's picture above and was at 1.012 when bottled.

All in all, I will definitely be making this one again.

ok after almost 4 weeks in the Teriary I bottled tonight. Of course I had to have a sample and all I have to say is . . . . .

This will now be in my regular rotation. Even uncarbonated this **** is great. Cant wait to try some but gonna force myself to wait to crack the first bottle on 06 June . . . so looks like you'll get 1 more update from me in about 6 weeks.

I did the extract version of this and just checked it a couple of days ago. I missed the OG by a bit and ended up with 1.066. I got caught up with getting my all-grain set up going and never got to transfer this, so it has been in primary for over a month and a half. In the long run I think I'm glad I did this! Checked gravity and got it down to 1.008!!!! And it tastes great. Could use a little more color but I definitely want to try it again on the all-grain system.

Finally got around to kegging mine today. The keg is also serving as the tertiary cuz that's the only container I have that will accomodate the oak chips. I gave it a quick taste- not bad even when flat. I'm going camping over the holiday weekend and when I get back the oak chips will come out and then that sucker goes on the gas and the first official glass will be poured on 06-06-06! BTW the FG was the same as jackmoe-1.008 giving me an ABV of 7.4 % according to Beersmith.

:tank:

Mine is still in the secondary, but Im probably going to keg it this weekend. I pulled off the airlock and took a whiff yesterday, and loved what I smelled. :mug:

*cues up "Cadence to Arms" on the pipes*

Mine is dead. :(

I must have picked up an infection from the wood chips. Lately it has been giving off a ton of pressure in the keg, so it made me curious. I tasted it--and it is definitely getting infected. I'm not bummed at all because the beer pretty much sucked from the beginning IMHO. I am going to revisit the recipe and go through this thread for suggested changes, and brew it again ON June 6.

I'll probably add more smoked malt and I am definitely upping the hops significantly. I wouldn't do it again at all but I'm confident we are really close on a killer recipe.

Dude said:
*cues up "Cadence to Arms" on the pipes*

Mine is dead. :(

I must have picked up an infection from the wood chips. Lately it has been giving off a ton of pressure in the keg, so it made me curious. I tasted it--and it is definitely getting infected. I'm not bummed at all because the beer pretty much sucked from the beginning IMHO. I am going to revisit the recipe and go through this thread for suggested changes, and brew it again ON June 6.

I'll probably add more smoked malt and I am definitely upping the hops significantly. I wouldn't do it again at all but I'm confident we are really close on a killer recipe.

How did you go about sanitizing the wood chips??? Now you've got me worried........

Dude sorry to hear about your infection. PM me your address and I'll send you a pint by June 6.

- magno

Sorry to hear about your beer loss Dude. At least it was a learning experience. I think if I make it again I want a more attenuating yeast. My batch is drinkable but it is on the sweet side for me so I can only drink one.

By the way, I took my IHA to the LHBS tasting they had about a week ago and it received rave reviews. I think it is a decent recipe that is on the verge of being a great recipe. It just needs tweaking and for me I think the yeast needs to be changed.

RichBrewer said:
Sorry to hear about your beer loss Dude. At least it was a learning experience. I think if I make it again I want a more attenuating yeast. My batch is drinkable but it is on the sweet side for me so I can only drink one.

By the way, I took my IHA to the LHBS tasting they had about a week ago and it received rave reviews. I think it is a decent recipe that is on the verge of being a great recipe. It just needs tweaking and for me I think the yeast needs to be changed.

What yeast did you have in mind?

I actually thought the Edinburgh Ale yeast was a pretty good attenuator....if we got 70-75 out of it I think that is what we were shooting for. I'll see what my numbers came out to after I look at my notes. I'll get back to you.

I agree, I think the recipe needs some tweaks and it will be a hellion (pun intended). I think more smoke and more hops. I'm doing another one soon. No kidding, brew day for it is going to be 06.06.06. :D

:rockin:

Dude said:
What yeast did you have in mind?

I actually thought the Edinburgh Ale yeast was a pretty good attenuator....if we got 70-75 out of it I think that is what we were shooting for. I'll see what my numbers came out to after I look at my notes. I'll get back to you.

I agree, I think the recipe needs some tweaks and it will be a hellion (pun intended). I think more smoke and more hops. I'm doing another one soon. No kidding, brew day for it is going to be 06.06.06. :D

:rockin:
I'm not sure what yeast to use. Mine finished out at 1.020 and, as I said is just too sweet. I've always used 1056 in the past so I'm far from an expert. The one thing I do know is that 1056 wouldn't be good at all. It performs well but to me it strips the malt profile way too much.
I agree with more smoke malt. I can't even detect any smoke in mine. The guy at the home brew store suggested using British peat smoked malt. He said it is much stronger than what we used.
I added 1/8 pound chocolate malt and I'm considering bumping it up to 1/4 pound to add more ruby to the color.
For some reason I only added 1/4 pound special B and I'm definitely going to make that 1/2 pound.
As for hops? I used what I had here and even after dry hopping twice once in the keg, it just doesn't have much hop presence. I think next time I'll go with you hop heads for the hopping schedule.

Edit: I'm drinking a pint right now and I'm really getting the whiskey profile. I think I will drastically reduce the oak chips in the next one. That malt back bone is there but it is very muted. I think I'm actually tasting a combination of the rye and oak. A whiskey drinker would like this for sure!

I would be very interested in what you guys come up with as I want to try this out on my new all grain set up. I did a batch with the exteact version but had to make a couple of slight changes.

Used Smoked Rauch instead of Smoked Germany (not sure there is any difference there).
Used Crystal 120 instead of Special B.
Used Wyeast 1728 instead of the WLP028.

I got an OG of 1.064 and it got down to an FG 1.006. So that may be a yeast you want to try. I did pitch 2 smack packs into a 5gal batch. I also skipped the dry hop and the oak (have had issues with oak and didnt want to use it on this until I understand hwo to use it better. Last batch I had with it tasted like furniture polish).

Dude, send me your address and I'll get a bottle of mine out to you.

Woo, the great day is upon us ... and mine isn't ready to drink yet :( I haven't quit kicked the keg it'll be living in yet. It'll probably be another week or two before mine is ready for consumption. I can't wait. :)

I'm brewing another right now--but I have a question for those that have either tasted it or have input....would this be better with cali ale yeast?

I have a nice healthy cake sitting here right now, and I had serious concerns about how the edinburgh ale yeast attenuated with the high gravity. I'm thinking the cali ale would make this a pretty decent beer. What do you guys think?

The long-awaited day is here. I poured myself a tall cold one, took a sip and............... YUCK!!!!! must've gotten infected. Every taste thus far has been positive, but the stuff is awful. The only thing I've done different thus far is the wood chips. I guess steaming them isn't enough of a sanitation procedure. Man my first infection ever.......I'm so bummed.:mad:

ablrbrau said:
The long-awaited day is here. I poured myself a tall cold one, took a sip and............... YUCK!!!!! must've gotten infected. Every taste thus far has been positive, but the stuff is awful. The only thing I've done different thus far is the wood chips. I guess steaming them isn't enough of a sanitation procedure. Man my first infection ever.......I'm so bummed.:mad:

Hmmmm...sorry to hear that bro. I think that is where I picked up my infection too. Makes me think twice about using the chips again...but.....

FWIW, I soaked the chips in star-san for 5 minutes only. What did you other guys do?

Dude said:
Hmmmm...sorry to hear that bro. I think that is where I picked up my infection too. Makes me think twice about using the chips again...but.....

FWIW, I soaked the chips in star-san for 5 minutes only. What did you other guys do?

How do the wine folks use em? Aren't they a common ingrediant?

Dude said:

It's all good. I gave it the obligatory moment of silence & dumped it. Cleaned & sanitized all the lines and threw on my Bock that was brewed in Dec and has been lagering since Feb. To hell with the beer from hell- A good Bock- mmm now that's heaven!:mug:

Mine turned out good, if a bit oaky. I used 4 ounces of oak on this batch, and will cut that down to 2 next time (and there will be a next time) Probably will up the hops a bit too. SWMBO and my sister say that the oak is in the background, but it is too much for me.

To sanitize the oak, I steamed the chips for about 10 min, let them cool for a few min then put them in the secondary.

346%3C879%3B2%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D3273%3E277%3E%3A38%3EWSNRCG%3D32337%3B6%3A66775nu0mrj

- magno

I boiled my oak cubes for about 10 minutes then dumped em right into the secondary. I don't taste it that much, I can taste the alcohol more, and the smoke flavor. I'm currently genting watsed on tihs wundruful brew rite now.:tank:

Also, for work I dressed up in an all black suit except for a bloodred button-down shirt. Dress code is usually business casual. Frickin idjits thought I had a job interview :mad: DON'T YOU PEEPLE KNOW WHAT TODAY IS???:ban:

Dude said:
I'm brewing another right now--but I have a question for those that have either tasted it or have input....would this be better with cali ale yeast?

I have a nice healthy cake sitting here right now, and I had serious concerns about how the edinburgh ale yeast attenuated with the high gravity. I'm thinking the cali ale would make this a pretty decent beer. What do you guys think?
I'm probably too late but I'll chime in...
The Cali yeast is cleaner and more attenuating. I've actually used Wyeast a lot and to me it makes the beer less malty. Thinking about it though I might be interested in trying it.

Beer Snob said:
How do the wine folks use em? Aren't they a common ingrediant?

My question too. Would steaming for 5 mins be enuf to remove any funk from the chips? And would a Star San soak accomplish the same? Never having done it, I'm wondering if sacrificing a whole batch is worth something that maybe a bottle of Liquid Smoke might accomplish. :confused:

Sorry about the lost batches tho guys...

Ize

Ize said:
My question too. Would steaming for 5 mins be enuf to remove any funk from the chips? And would a Star San soak accomplish the same? Never having done it, I'm wondering if sacrificing a whole batch is worth something that maybe a bottle of Liquid Smoke might accomplish. :confused:

Sorry about the lost batches tho guys...

Ize

That's what I did- steamed the chips for about 5 mins in a muslin bag and tossed it into the carboy.

I drank 3 22oz Of this puppy yesterday.. Man was I blasted Mine came out very mild (after ageing) the flavors have blended really well no one taste is over powering it is slightly sweet with a smooth after taste and a big kick

Well, this is my 666th post, so I figured this should be the place for it. I never got around to brewing this, but I think I'll get it in pretty soon. Can anyone give a quick summary on some of suggestions on modifying the recipe. I briefly saw one about using CA ale yeast and another about less oak chips and sanitation probablems with them. Any others?

The only thing I need to make sure of next time is to use plenty of hops. I soaked my chips in vodka for a few days before throwing them in the brew without any trouble.

I read a good article in Zymurgy about a neat procedure used by Stone Brewing Co. for soaking/pitching oak. When I get back from Alabama this weekend I will post it. Sounds like a winner.

I tried mine for the first time last weekend. It had conditioned in the bottle for about a month. My impression: too much oak and not enough hops. The oak flavor had mellowed since I tasted it at bottling, but it was still too prominent.

If I were to do this over I would either halve the amount of oak chips or take it off the oak chips sooner and add more bittering and dry hops. It's drinkable, but after a couple, you're ready to move on to something else.

OTOH, if I were doing a really bold beer - for instance, a high-alcohol imperial or bourbon stout for winter, this amount of oak chips would lend a nice flavor.

Hey guys,

been a while sence i've been on so i just wanted to tell everyone how my 060606 came out.

We had the keg at my 5th of July party. (I do fireworks shows so i never get a beer on the 4th)

I did mine w/ the oak chips and once chilled was very smoth and get us really really trashed!!! i'm geting ready to brew another batch! Great recipe guys!!!!!

Well, I just put v.2 into tertiary with some oak chips, and while still a little hot, this baby is exactly what I had in mind when we designed the recipe. I tweaked it some--added another pound of smoked malt (subtracted a lb. of base malt to keep OG the same), and used cali ale yeast to get it to attenuate more.

The smokiness comes through much better now, and it is much drier. I still think it would be better with a different yeast, but I had a nice cali ale cake and just racked onto it.

Still a great beer. Oaking it for a week, then a quick dry hop, and bottling for some aging.

Another winner. :D

Back