007 slow to finish.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
I'm on batch no 2 of a 007 pitch and with both batches I've experienced a slow finish after an explosive start. No 1 was pitched from a 2L starter and no 2 was a repitch. Both batches were aerated with o2 and temp controlled with a rise towards the end. Gravity was moderate with 1.056.
White Labs state that 007 finishes fast and this too was my expectation after the great start and huge krausen but 2 weeks later the air lock is still bubbling ever so slowly and the gravcity is only down to 1.014.
I was hoping for 1.010. as this is a dry strain.
Any thoughts?

You've got 75% attenuation there, right in the middle of its range. What was your process? If your mash temp was higher than expected (assuming all-grain) then it may finish a few points high. Airlock activity doesn't mean it's fermenting. Usually just off-gassing dissolved CO2 after fermentation is complete.

+1 to off-gassing. What was your grain bill? 1.010 would be 82% apparent attenuation, which is on the higher end. I'll bet the yeast is done, but if you leave it for another week maybe you'll get lucky and have it drop another point.

Latest posts

Back