$0.02 IPA Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crstevens15

Reaction score
Hey all looking for some input into my first IPA recipe, particularly with regards to the hop schedule.

10 lbs 2-row
1 lb crystal 40
2.9 oz chocolate malt
1 lb corn sugar

Srm: 13.7

1 oz centennial: 60 mins
1 oz citra: 15 mins
1 oz centennial: 10 mins
1 oz citra: 5 mins
1 oz centennial: 0 mins
1 oz citra/1 oz centennial: 7 days dry hop

Ibu: 76

I'll be using a wyeast 1056 yeast cake

After originally planning on just citra I changed my mind as I really like centennial and think they will work well together. Trying to load the back end up to focus mostly on flavor/aroma

Any thoughts/suggestions.

I think your hop schedule looks good. I'd say that you don't really need the sugar to dry this out any. You have a good amount of IBUs relative to you original gravity, so your beer will not seem sweet. Sugar is used mainly to dry out double IPAs/high gravity IPAs. I don't think yours will need this. I'd just use 1-1.5 lbs more of 2-row. That my $0.02.

I'm a fan of both citra and centennial, and this looks great, to me. The only thing I might do is swap the citra and centennial for the 15,10,5, and 0 additions, as I'm just a little partial to the citra and would want the extra little freshness. That said, with the dry hopping, I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

And yeah, no need for the sugar. Just up your 2-row and mash at a lower temp if you are concerned about too much sweetness.

Back