Irish Stout Ó Flannagáin Standard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this on April 12th. No chill, everything went great. 1.047 OG, and I ended at 1.016 using notty (mashed at about 155-155 degrees F).

Before kegging, I tasted a sample and it was really impressive. It has been sitting the keg for about 1.5 weeks and is getting carbed. I poured myself a glass today and it seems slightly watery and lighter than I remember. This is the first beer I have that has 10ft lines (3/16th inch) and it does pour a little slow and I haven't gotten a great head with it, yet.

I figured this would be a fairly light beer considering the grain bill. Is it just the style? This is the first stout I have brewed and far from my normal IIPA or store bought high gravity beers. I just wanted to try something new.

Overall, the flavor is good. It has a nice roasted malt aroma and tastes much like it smells. I just feel like it needs more body. I realize this is a little premature considering it will have been carbing for 2 weeks on Friday (about 13PSI at 42 degrees F), but I am curious and it is on my mind/in my hand now.

I notice this when I use notty, definitely turns out best with the WLP004

Brewed this today - did a partial mash and upped the ABV with 6lbs of extract. Also added .25lb of black patent. I can just tell it's going to be a good one. Used WLP004 and a fat starter.

Chug..Chug..Chug..Chug..Chug..Chug..Chug..Chug..

I have a question about this... jcole's PM recipe to be specific.

Can I mash 6.75# of grain if I have one of the standard orange drink coolers? I was under the impression that the capacity was 6#... wonder what happens if i push it to 6.75.

How would i adjust that recipe to fit for 6? His PDF is on page 7 or so.

Hi Wookie,

I can't speak mashing in an orange drink cooler, as I mashed in a 5 gallon stock pot using DeathBrewer's method. Comes out great.

What's the issue, not enough room for 6.75# grain in your cooler?

John

Yeah, or just go with 6#. The recipe will still be good.

I'd output a modified brew sheet for you, but I'm away from my software.

Don't worry about it... ill run with 6#. I have beersmith at home that I can use to output one.

Thanks for your help, looking forward to brewing this.

I was curious, i think someone else had asked. How would i add oats to this to make it chewy... or is it not necessary.

I made up 8 gallons of this last night, can't wait! I admit to being a little skeptical due to how simple the recipe seems, I've been making too many damn big beers I guess.

I made up 8 gallons of this last night, can't wait! I admit to being a little skeptical due to how simple the recipe seems, I've been making too many damn big beers I guess.

You can stop being skeptical b/c I've brewed this beer multiple times and it is awesome. Compliments and people wanting more.

Is a small krausen with this yeast pretty typical? I was expecting a decent one with all that barley.
The first time I made this, I used Nottingham and had a massive blowoff. The last time, I used WLP004 and had only a mild kreusen. YMMV.

Yeah I experienced the smallest krausen I ever have before on this batch. It had to have been under half an inch and then subdued in a day. I'll check the gravity tonight and see if it's changed much.

I'm brewing this stout on Saturday - has everyone done this with a 60 minute mash? I've seen other stouts mashed for 90 minutes but I couldn't figure it out based on the info in this thread.

I also had a quick question (really potentially just for my own info) regarding the addition of flaked oats - would adding 1 lb of flaked oats be a waste of time/taste given that there's already 1 lb of flaked barley?

Any/all help appreciated. This will be my 2nd AG batch.

I know I probably shouldn't mess with a good thing, but I'm too curious to find out. I'm going to add 1 lb of crystal 60 and 1 1/2 lbs flaked oats to this recipe and see how she turns out. The original grainbill is so cheap as it is, I've got no qualms with redoing O'Flannagain's recipe as is if this doesn't amount to much.

Time to do both side-side and experiment!

Indeed. My LHBS has informed me that it might result in a more "roasty" oatmeal stout flavor, so we'll see how that goes.

My only hope is that I can get some high-res beer pron images once this is finished - at least as nice as O'Flannagain's!

Brewday this past Saturday went extremely well - as opposed to the last AG batch (which also happeend to be my first) - which went as bad as it possibly could go. It was a beautiful day in Tallahassee and the black & beautiful wort flowed freely from the MLT into the kettle. The only thing that went awry was me breaking my hydrometer after measuring my first runnings. :( Anyone know how to calculate what a 1.052 gravity for 2.5 gallons (first runnings) might mean? I ended up with just a little over 7 gallons preboil after the 2nd runnings - when my hydrometer fell to the floor. I'm assuming that my overall preboil gravity might drop a little from that first measurement, correct?

For the actual recipe, I ended up replacing my 1 lb flaked barley with 1 1/2 lbs of flaked oats. We'll see how this sucker turns out! I'm definitely itching to compare it to the original recipe the next time I brew.

One thing that is confusing me: my fermentation hasn't been as "vigorous" as others. I came up with a full 6 gallons with very little headspace in my BB and I was expecting a blow-off the entire time. Hasn't happened yet - maybe due to less amount of total fermentable sugars in the wort? Krauzen definitely looked tan & creamy though!

Brewed this yesterday for my first all grain. It went really good. According to my calculations my efficiency was in the 80% range. My OG was 1.051, that shouldn't screw up the flavor of the beer to much right? If I continue to have high efficiencies do I need to adjust the grain bill?

If it ferments all the way out it will be a little stronger, but shouldnt be a problem. If you are consistantly at 80%, then yes you will have to adjust your grain bill. This is a great stout, you wont be dissappointed for your first AG =D

Just ordered ingredients for this one. I'm going to do Brew-In-A-Bag and No-Chill. I've read the whole thread, and while I haven't seen any mention of it, I was considering adding the hops as FWH in order to increase the bitterness and give a little more flavor and aroma. It seems like the biggest complaint on this recipe was the low bitterness, but I think that was primarily from a stylistic perspective, not an overall taste perspective.

So, thoughts on FWH vs hopping at (the no-chill equivalent of) the 60 minute addition?

I brewed this last night. I did a 3 gallon batch. Had a bit of trouble with my mash temps - ended up doing 10 minutes at 153 - added hot water to 156 after which it dropped over the hour to 153 again. I didn't preheat my tun as much as I usually do. *shrug* live and learn - it will still be beer.

Ended with 1.043. Wort tasted great. Looking forward to it.

So I brewed this beer and the FG is 1.012. It has a nice flavor but the mouthfeel is like drinking water. Will this change once I bottle it? I was thinking of adding 8oz of lactose for a slight sweetness, cause I like my beers a little sweet, but mainly for a nice thick mouthfeel. Would maltodextrin give the beer a creamy texture? Half/half the lactose/maltodextrin?

For anyone that has brewed this beer, what would you recommend?

So I brewed this beer and the FG is 1.012. It has a nice flavor but the mouthfeel is like drinking water. Will this change once I bottle it? I was thinking of adding 8oz of lactose for a slight sweetness, cause I like my beers a little sweet, but mainly for a nice thick mouthfeel. Would maltodextrin give the beer a creamy texture? Half/half the lactose/maltodextrin?

It most likely will change as it gets carbed up. Considering that the ingredients to brew it are fairly cheap, I'd first see how it goes after bottling without any of the additions you mentioned. If the mouthfeel still isn't as desired, then I'd suggest making some changes for the next batch you do. I think it's too early to worry about what the mouthfeel will be, especially considering you haven't bottled it yet.

What was your mash temp? Just curious

I felt like the mouthfeel was a little light myself, but it's still an excellent stout. As mentioned, I'd wait until it carbs up... you'll still enjoy it.

I was going to brew it a second time and add oats to it to give that desired mouthfeel, but i decided to brew deception cream instead. I figure these two stouts will give me both ends of the spectrum for stouts I enjoy, then I can meld the two if I want.

But I've also only done 13 batches, so I really have no idea what I'm talking about!

Enjoying a few pints today...

IMG_1799.jpg

I kegged mine yesterday and a pre-carbed taste was fairly light on the mouthfeel side. I'll report back when this sucker gets fully carbed.

Smells wonderful though!

After my first go-round with force-carbing, I'd say this sucker is almost done carbing. Not quite there yet with the head retention, but it's getting there!

I had a pint last night and it tasted great! It could get a little thicker in the mouthfeel dept., but it still tastes great this early in the game. When the head does foam up, it looks beautiful. I'll be happy when that head stays there for a little bit. :)

Back