Irish Stout Ó Flannagáin Standard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jzal8 said:
I am transfering mine to the secondary tomorrow...which of course means I will be enjoying at least a pint of this guy tomorrow. Will let you know how that goes :)

I'll tell ya, you don't really need to secondary this one. I usually take it from primary to bottles/keg in 12 days. Regular, low abv stouts are goooood young.

Interesting, I was considering just bottling. I guess it comes down to my bottle situation which i think is hurting haha. Right now I got 3 batches in bottles so I need to do a little more drinking/bottle collecting.

I will most likely just end up keeping it in the primary for another week (its been 1 week) and then bottling. Looks like I'll be putting that tasting on hold :(

Mine sure is fermenting out fast! I had the largest, fluffiest krausen that I've ever gotten on a beer with this. It has now dropped. I think I'll give it a hydro test when I get home from work. Hopefully I'll be able to bottle this next week before I fly out to Oregon for XMas.

jzal8 said:
Interesting, I was considering just bottling. I guess it comes down to my bottle situation which i think is hurting haha. Right now I got 3 batches in bottles so I need to do a little more drinking/bottle collecting.

I will most likely just end up keeping it in the primary for another week (its been 1 week) and then bottling. Looks like I'll be putting that tasting on hold :(

No reason you can't draw a sample now... you know, to check the gravity and all ;)

Just poured one from my second batch:

7564-lateststout.jpg

Whelp, now I'm convinced its time for a gravity check...thanks for the extra push :)

Wise decision, BNVince. This dry stout simply rocks. I bottled mine about 3 weeks ago. Just started drinking them about 2 weeks after bottling. I know they are gonna get even better with a month or so of aging....I can only hope they last that long!!!

Everyone who has tried it has loved it. It is a very approachable and drinkable stout that even light beer drinkers like. Light bodied for a dry stout, and not overly dry

I made a few changes to the recipe to suit my tastes and to keep it inline with the dry stout category.

I will give a full report in another month or so after it ages.

This one is definitely a keeper!!!

Thanks, O'Flannagain!

Yeah, mine's been in bottles for a week and already tastes great. Still needs a few weeks, but there's that great coffee roastiness there, but not overly roasty like a lot of homebrew Stouts that I've tried. I think this will be a recipe that I tweak and keep around for a long time.

I'll be brewing this Saturday. I have some White Labs Irish Ale yeast I washed from a while ago. I'll make a starter Thursday night to see if it's still viable. If not, I'll probably just pitch some Nottingham on it.

The last batch I did with the Irish Ale fermented like wild although it did have an o.g. of 1.082. I'll have to keep an eye on it this time.

So this classifies as a dry stout correct? Looks very tasty! Thinking about making it for a St Patty's day party...

Just an update...I brewed this in early december and it turned out fantastic. It was one of my best beers to date and I would consider brewing it again one day.

I just put mine in the primary on Saturday only difference i used in recipe would be the yeast i used dry safale yeast.

I just tapped my keg of this stout. I made a mistake and used a full 2 ounces of US Goldings in this. A slight hint of a hop nose is all that resulted in. A very tasty beer indeed. This is one that I'm going to repeat for sure.

this was my first all grain. I just kegged it today for my poker room...tasted really good. Even a couple guys sampled it who don't like stout enjoyed the taste. Im gonna put it down as a keeper...hopefully all the guys like it

I'm kegging this today to drink on St. Patrick's day (and to use in stew for the same). I'll let you know how it turns out, perhaps post a picture. It tasted great out of the thief a couple weeks ago.

-Kai

So i brewed this today..I didnt have any roasted barley so I went with black barley instead...Im sure this will give it a bit more coffee and dry it out some more. I kept the amount the same but I like a stronger coffee flavor. Any one up the IBU on this? It is low but how is the balance? Most dry stouts are a bit higher in IBU's..just was curious.

Jay

discgolfin said:
Any one up the IBU on this? It is low but how is the balance? Most dry stouts are a bit higher in IBU's..just was curious.

Looking back at my log of this brew, I used fuggles instead of EKG, and went for 20 IBUs. So upped very slightly from the original recipe. I was very happy with how this brew came out.

I actually have a bottle of it in the fridge right now ready to taste at the 3 month mark. Considering sending this into a competition in a month for some feedback.

I used EKG but they were 4.5% so I added them at 90 and will only get about 16.5 IBU. I used the black barley so this will counter it a bit..we shall see..

Guess I should share my results of brewing O'Flannagain Stout... brewday was 2/9/08 and it went good. Beer turned out great, maybe slightly roastier then I expected, but that's not a complaint. The body is great, I find the beer overall very enjoyable. The head retention on my version is lousy, but this has been the story with all of the beers I have brewed in my young brewing education.

This is a stout I would recommend and one that I will definately brew again (sooner rather then later). Two friends of mine that are stout drinkers tried and didn't stop at one if that says anything...

Sorry for the blurry picture, my wife's camera sucks! This is directly from the keg, although the head had a few minutes to settle, and like i said the head retention on mine is not great.

100_2898.JPG

im drinking one now 1 week primary 1 week secondary 1 week keg at 15psi transfered a few to bottle and damn this stuff is amazing i would highly recommend only downfall to it that i experienced is i have little to no head retention don't know why heheh. Other then that this stout is delicious.

This one just has to age at least 1 month in the fridge, man oh man i just had 1 or 2 yesterday WOW what a difference as compared to a month ago this thing tastes almost like coke and im not joking either, im definitly going to brew it again this weekend but im wondering if 2 ounces of vanilla extra would do it more good then bad what do you guys think?

thanks.

BTW thank you for the recipe flannagain. :)

This one just has to age at least 1 month in the fridge, man oh man i just had 1 or 2 yesterday WOW what a difference as compared to a month ago this thing tastes almost like coke and im not joking either, im definitly going to brew it again this weekend but im wondering if 2 ounces of vanilla extra would do it more good then bad what do you guys think?

thanks.

BTW thank you for the recipe flannagain. :)

I would not mess with this house Stout..not a fan of vanilla in smooth dry stouts...maybe if it was a big bigger with more chocolate or roasted flavor but it is too good to mess with IMO....

Jay

I'm wrapping up my brew day on this one right now. I'll report back when it's in my glass. Hopefully I will have learned from Beerific's Kolsch, and be able to sit on at least a couple of sixers for six months for a long range report as well.

My refridgerated Irish Ale yeast was no longer viable apparently. I added my emergency back up Nottingham after about 16 hours. She is Krausening up nicely now.

This beer absolutely rocks! One of the best beers I have ever made, period. I made a 10 gallon batch of it on 4/12/08 and its almost gone (its been a huge hit all around). The only alterations to the recipe I made were to replace the WLP004 with Safale S-04 and I used just one oz of EKGs for the ten gallon batch instead of doubling it to 2 oz. The extra maltiness is great. I will definitely be making this batch again in the near future. Thanks!

I just remembered that I promised a review on this guy a while back.

Short version is this. This is an excellent stout. I love the note of chocolate. I've been drinking one or two with dinner every night since it's been ready.

I'm going to have to brew some more soon. I think this is going to be a regular around here.

To answer some questions, based on the numbers in the recipe, this is a modified dry stout- the IBU's are too low for the style, and the chocolate malt is an additional ingredient that you won't find in a Guinness, so it's not a dead-on dry stout. I think it looks delicious, and will be brewing it in time for cold weather. Shouldn't cost much at all to make, and it's a tried and true recipe.

Well...
I went ahead and got all the stuff needed for this recipe. I'm a huge stout fan, and this looks way to good to pass up.

I built my cooler MLT, and now I'm going to prepare for my first all grain. I would like to brew this either tonight or tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Cheers!

This stout looks delicious, and I'm hoping to brew an extract version!

Is there an easy way to do this conversion? I usually do a 3 gallon boil.

I'm guessing that these can all be steeped:
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.11 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %

And then the 6lb of 2 row, how would that convert to DME?

And with a 3 gallon boil would that still be 1oz of the EKG's?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I think I'm missing some conversion formulas.

Thanks!

This is a good stout. I made a PM last winter using 1.5 lbs of pale malt, and 3.25 lbs of light DME. I didn't bump the hops (even though I did a 3 gallon boil too), but in hindsight I probably should have increased the hops to 1.25 oz.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I just noticed you are looking for an extract, not PM version. If you go 4lbs on the DME I think you should be ok.

Sounds like this is killer stout to make. I'm gonna try a 10 gallon batch this weekend. I have been craving a good homebrew stout. I haven't brewed in about six months so I am looking forward to it this weekend.

I did a partial mash of this last weekend! It'll be my 5th batch. I saw that mug full of beer and couldn't stop myself. It smells really good... mmmmm roasty...

I used fuggles (they were out of EK), and safale-04 (I'm cheap). It was very inexpensive, and now I have some hops left over for another batch.

I'll report back when it's ripe!

I made this a few months ago, its a great beer... I'll be making it again one day.

Back