Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Gordon Biersch Marzen

Old 01-10-2009, 12:42 AM   #1
enderwig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Gordon Biersch Marzen

I tasted this beer for the first time tonight, on the recommendation of a friend, (who it turns out, has no taste whatsoever )
I was so upset with this beer, that I would have gotten my money back if I could have. If BMC decided to make Marzen, this would be it. "Marzen Lite, on store shelves soon!"

When I purchased it I had visions of a nice malty oktoberfest/marzen in my head. I couldn't wait for that tasty munich malt to wash over my tongue, instead I get what tastes like pale malt with enough carafa or whatever for color and that's it. I guess I should have known when I read the back of the bottle and it mentioned a "roasty finish".

There's $8 down the drain, and I still have 5 of them to drink, (or pawn off on my friend who thinks it's a great beer.) At least I have a whole batch of JZ's oatmeal stout to keep me warm tonight.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7075 Times on 5965 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

it's much better on tap at the brewhouse....

in the bottle it loses a lot of its appeal IMO

Old 01-10-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts

If you're getting it in TX, it may just be bad handling. GB is made in the San Francisco area and I find horrible beers all the time. I could only imagine the crappy beer handling half way across the country.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith View Post
If you're getting it in TX, it may just be bad handling. GB is made in the San Francisco area and I find horrible beers all the time. I could only imagine the crappy beer handling half way across the country.
The have a brewery and restaurant in North Dallas, I met Dan Gordon there at the opening. I think their beers on tap are great, their Schwarzbier is amazing, but they are not nearly the same in the bottle, and I do think the only bottling location is in San Jose.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 01-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts

I love the Schwartzbier. The last time I had one was at the Las Vegas location. The whole time I was there I was the only one that had one.

And yes, the only production facility is in San Jose.
Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
944play
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I gotta say, I feel pretty much the same way about GB Märzen. It's really pretty boring. I don't think that handling is the issue, since the GB Hefe I had was pretty good. Ayinger Märzen makes a much longer trip and in my experience is a better beer. More flavor, anyway.

Märzen is GB's best seller, and its boringness may actually contribute to that....