first brew in secondary for one week -- strange flavor/aroma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbenedetto

Reaction score
my first brew is currently in second week of secondary after 3 wks in primary.. decided to have a taste to see how it's coming along.... it tasteskind of like soy sauce.. also has it also has apple and rice wine notes with a sweet aftertaste.. all in all it is a little sweet but definitely drinkable. i know it's still early and im probably overreacting because im inexperienced, but is it normal for it to taste/smell like soy sauce??

jb :fro:

6.6 lb. Light malt extract
1 lb. Amber dry malt extract
8 oz. Corn sugar
add
.5 ounce crushed coriander
.75 oz sweet orange peel
last 10 minutes of boil
1 oz. Domestic Glacier (5.2% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Domestic Glacier (5.2% AA, 45 min.)
.5 oz. Domestic Glacier (5.2% AA, 15 min.)
Yeast: Safale T-58

the yeast was not the exact same as the recipe calls for, i think it was the safbrew equivalent.

Interesting. I presume this was unhopped extract? I think the reason it's so sweet is that you didn't get a lot of bittering from only boiling your hops for 10 minutes.

I've not brewed with orange peel before though and know the rinds can be bitter. Anyone else know if orange peels can take the place of bittering hops?

yes the extract was unhopped.. hops pellets went in immediately upon boiling of the wort..

i added the first ounce of hops @ T-60 min, the next .5 oz @ T-45 min, and the last .5 oz @ T-15 min. At T-10 min I added the orange peel and coriander..

the recipe is meant to taste like a belgian dubbel, and it smelled great after 2 weeks in primary.. now it still smells nice, but a little funny and with hints of soy sauce and apple cider....

nevertheless i will bottle it in a week and let the yeast do its work.

Latest posts

Back